Maternal & Child Community
Cervical biopsy question?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cervical biopsy question?

Maybe I should be asking this in another forum but I'm so comfy here :) I had a cervical biopsy done last week and experienced something odd after and I was wondering if it was normal. After it was done, the dr told me to expect some coffee grain like bleeding/discharge (sorry tmi).  But for the following  few days, it was more like I lost some fairly decent size pieces of tissue. Sorry again. maybe like 1 to 2 inches. But not much bleeding. She didnt mention anything about this and the only nurse that I can call is the OB nurse. But I'm not prego anymore. Has anyone experienced this? It really worried me.  I got my period like 3 days later so I'm not sure what the heck is going on now.
It just seemed really weird being that I hardly even felt the biopsy.  And what the heck were those "tissues"? Ewww
I had a biopsy done a little over 3 years ago.  I had the coffee ground type discharge.  But if you started your period shortly after it was done that could be why you passed the clots.  I know the nurses in my OBGYN's office are the same for all the patients, if that nurse can't help you she can put you in contact with someone who can.  Go ahead and call if you are concerned that's their job!
The thing is that, it wasnt blood. It was tissue. LIke flesh pieces.  Kinda reminded me of when I had a m/c but with little blood. Now I'm worried since someone else didnt experience it after words.
Is it possible they scrapped too much?  If you're concerned, definitely call.
i had a biopsy done a million years ago and i dont recall experiencing this.  id call just to make sure.  
Hum, that is odd.  I know I didn't experience anything like that.  Call your doctor and ask them.  Because if it wasn't a clot that doesn't sound normal to me.
I had the same thing....for days afterward.  I wouldn't be to worried.

Mine was coffee grain like with pieces of large grey tissue....and yes it reminded me of my first m/c.....minus all the blood.
I had tissue after mine but when I had it done it hurt like hell.  I was surpised more wasn't coming out.  Did they numb you - maybe that is why you didn't feel it?  Call the OB nurse anyway, it cant hurt :)
I had the same thing! it just happened actually about 15minutes ago and I was thinking I was having a miscarriage. But I know I wasnt prego because I just a pap, and a cervical biopsy after my pap came back abnormal. The shape it came out just looked like a little embryo, greyish in color and coffe grind like stuff inside. Im still freaking out right now b/c my Doc told me to expect little discharge however this was a lot different!!!!! By chance has anyone with this same experience actually talked to their gyno? Its 10:15 and I don't want to make a huge deal out of this by paging my gyno when it may be a rare case but still normal or okay. Please if anyone is reading this post your response. Reading others' responses helps me a little but I am still worried!
I had this done on the 27th. I have the brownish black discarge and small clots as well. The research i did online said clots arent normal and the vaginal pain wasnt as well so i call by obgyn and he told me its normal to take ibprofin advil aleave and i could use an ice pack on my lower abdomin (abdomen) (SP SORRY) he also said thatthe brownish color was old blood and the clots n the bleeding was normal. He said that if the bleeding gets bright red and or gets heavier the my period then to go the er. I thought since my boyfriend and I were trying to have a baby that he was worried about a miscarrige but he couldnt tell if i was pregnant because if i am then it would only be like a week. but a friend of mine told me that hes not worried about that that he is worried about the area isnt healing. Hope this help by the way if you dont mind me asking how long did u bleed i had it done on wed and its now sat and im still bleeding
Hi, I just had a biopsy and cautarisation of my servix yesterday. The gynie did not tell me he was doing a biopsy - I only found out that he had done one from the Receptionist. I had know idea that I was going to be in so much pain and am bleeding - bright red. Am scared as was not told what to expect or what to do. So sorry no help other than yr not alone!
I had mine done a month ago and experienced exactly the same as you. Large amounts of tissue, so i think this is normal and differs between people.
I usually have to get a colposcopy done pretty often.... every 4-8 months depending on my pap results and the severity of the results. I'll be 25 in August and have had about 6 or 7 of them done by now. I was scared to death and didn't know what to expect when I went in for my first one. I have never been pregnant nor miscarried to my knowledge. Although I've been educated on different facts and myths about miscarrying. Anyway... I believe it was on my 3 or 4 procedure, I did experience a lot of pain and a lot of cramping after that procdure was complete. Probably for about 3 days afterwards. I also had passed a very large piece of tissue and it really scared me! Because, at that time, I thought that I could have possibly been pregnant. I called my doctor right away and did all the research I possibly could online. He did assure me that it was pretty normal to have that happen. But, if I continued having pressure and discharge like that, to call him back and schedule another apt. with him asap. Needless to say, I didn't have any further complications after that. So... my advice would probably be just to keep close monitoring on it and if anything else happens that causes concern to contact your doctor immediately. I hope this was good advice and hope you do well.
I actually just had the exact same thing happened to me about 20 mins ago while I was in the shower.  What happened was I had a colposcopy and cervical biopsy 5 days ago.  Today I went to the gym (my first time back to the gym since the procedure).  Prior to today, I've had very little discharge but after my kickboxing class, I went to the restroom and discovered big pieces of "tissue"- like things.  I didn't think much of it and thought that they were just scabs from my cervix healing itself.  When I got home and took a shower, I pulled out a HUGE chunk of that same thing (with coffee grains inside).  My trip to the gym definitely forced it to come out.  My reaction was I thought the doctor accidently left some foreign object in me.  I'm pretty concerned but reading this forum makes me feel a bit better that it happened to other people as well.  I'm going back to the doctor in 2 days, will definitely ask about it.  I will post he response once I get it.
for the last five hours I have had the same thing and had a biopsy on friday, tonight I have lost alot of huge blood clots larger than golf balls and i cant sleep, doc never told me this would happen. very concerned almost enough to go to the er
i just had my biopsy done 3 hours ago and since then ive been burning relly bad in my vagina and they didnt say if this was a symptom...did anybody have this i was wondering if i could be allergic to the medicine they used to heal to spot
I had the biopsy done three days ago and barely felt it. A tiny bit of cramping afterwards, but barely noticible. No after effects, except tonight the "skin-like" tissue-y discharge. It was yellow with streaks of black and grainy black pieces. The first couple of pieces were small (but scary), then a piece about 2 inches long came out. My doctor definitely did not warn me about this! I was so freaked out I almost passed out... I thought my cervix was falling out!

At this point, I called the after hours nurse line, she paged my doctor, and as it turns out it's completely normal and nothing to be concerned about. Just wished my doctor had warned me about this "normal" side effect. Does anyone know WHY the tissue comes out? Is it a reaction to the chemicals? The scraping during the procedure? Why does it happen to some people and not others?
i just had a weird thing come out of me on the toilet and i am scared, I know it sounds gross but to try to get to the bottom of it and see what it really was, I rinsed it off andafter all the blood was gone there is a thicker blood clot that isnt rinsing and something hard-ish and yellow-ish inside. I'm concerned, should I go to the ER? I called them once and no doctor or nurse was available.
Hi there. I'm a little confused about my pap test. The result came back as severe dyskariosis and so I had to have a colposcopy which is fine I understand that bit but I thought that it was a closer look to decide what treatment was needed as the pap had already diagnosed the changes were there, all she did was take biopsies and other samples and the leaflet they gave me says this is to diagnose CIN 1 2 or 3 but I thought they already knew it was CIN 3 from the pap so why not treat there and then? Are they checking it isn't cancer?