Maternal & Child Community
Cervix during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cervix during pregnancy

Is it normal for your cervix to be high and very soft while preggo--i am 10 weeks and 5 days with my first---my husband commented on how he could barely feel it and it made me nervous should i be worried?
i just read this bit of info on a website:

During ovulation the cervix is SHOW (soft, high,open and wet). Around the time of menstration the cervix is low and hard. I've heard OB/GYNs making this analogy when referring to a pregnant vs. non-pregnant cervix: A non-pregnant cervix feels like a hard, unripe piece of fruit, while a pregnant cervix is more like an almost over-ripe plum. It becomes very tender and engorged with blood, especially early on in pregnancy.In the early stages of pregnancy you may notice that your cervix will rise a bit and become softer, but the timing of this happening will vary from woman to woman. You may see the change in your cervix shortly before your period is due or you may not feel this for several weeks.As the pregnancy progresses you will probably have an increase in vaginal discharge, but the cervical mucous is fairly minimal during pregnancy.

Some women may notice a change in their cervix in very early pregnancy but cervical position is not a good sign of pregnancy. That is because the cervix changes not only from woman to woman but from day to day and could even be different in the same woman at different times of the day.

I would recommend to check your cervix right after your period ends and check it every day, at the same time, in the same postion. That way you know how your cervix is suppose to feel at what point during your cycle and if it doesn't feel that it's suppose to you could use that to help you determine pregnancy. For a woman that doesn't check her cervix regularly I would say it's next to impossible to determine if she's pregnant or not by checking it.

Answer

Your cervix should be high just like during ovulation, except closed. It will also still feel soft, more like lips.

thank you this gives me some peace of mind--i tried to find info online but could not locate anything myself!--thanks again...