Maternal & Child Community
Characteristics of ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Characteristics of ovulation

I have read that during a womens fertile time of the month, she may have cramps, temp rise, what I am concerned with is the cervical mucous. I should be fertile yesterday or today, I have cervical mucus but not stretchy at all, it was mostly thick and creamy yesterday, today very thin unless it is sperm I am looking at. I notice changes every day, some days thick and some not. I do feel a bit different like I will start mensas, pressure or something. I just came off the pill a few days before my last cycle ended, a few days later I had a four day period. I'm basing ovulation on that. Is there any other way of predicting ovulation without buying tests. Also, do you have to have the perfect type of cervical mucous to conceive. Is sex a couple of times per day ok if there are no apparent problems.
Thank You,
Trying hard to get pregnant.
I don't know a lot about predicting ovulation by cervical mucus.

But many people recommend sex every other day near ovulation time, because it supposedly makes for a higher sperm count.  Sperm can live for several days in your reproductive tract.
Well, I'm in med school and we where taught that in the morning, if it is thick and sticky, then you are ovulating.  And if it is thin, wet ( non sticky ) then you are no longer ovulating at that time.  I hope I have helped you out.  Good luck!!

Misty
It also sounds to me that you are ovulating and that the time that you see it thin, it is sperm.  It seems to me that you are normal because I'm in the same situation as you, but I have not started to try to get pregnant yet.  Just keep trying.  You will be fine.  Good luck !

Misty
Hi there..

When I went off the pill, same thing happened- I had another 4 day period about 2 days later...

I'm not sure if I actually ovulated shortly thereafter, but the CM appeared that way (egg whites).

I hope I'm pregnant, but in all honesty I don't think I'm am... I'll just wait 'n see.

By the way, it's normal to go 3-6 months with irregular periods / non-ovulating periods after stopping the pill.
:(
I've also heard that you may want to wait 3 months at least before actively trying to conceive as there may be a higher risk of miscarraige (miscarriage)... Just from what I've read.

I wish you the best!  :)
-Heather
I hoping you are right and it was o time, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anymore info would be appreciaed.
Two for Tea
the mucas for me around O was always real slippery and clear just like the clear part of a raw egg, and lower side pain, but I didnt notice this all the time I didnt see any mucas in march and thats when I got pg, I agree with the every other day trying method, keeping your uterus full of sperm you are sure not to miss O..

good luck

two for tea
this is my third Pg,
I always tell my friends who are trying to conceive this

1. every night or every other night try
if you keep your uterus loaded with sperm they are bound to just be hanging around when big O day comes

this is my third PG my first two were back to back they are five and six now, so we took a break and I was so sure it was going to take a little longer because its been a while (Im 25 now), but no we hit it on the second month,with the every night some times even twice,I was tired but DH was happy...you know men..hehe

you cant always count on the cervical mucas or temping, the fertile mucas will always be there around O but it may not show up when you wipe, the temping is kind of ify,

I would say every night, also have your hubby ejaculate way at the top, i would push my dh closer with my legs wrapped around his waist ( sorry for the detail but I want to help ) also dont get up right after, stay laying down and lift your legs up for maybe 20 minutes...

we dont have any fertility issues either and its been fairly easy for us to conceive, just dont stress about it , stress can be an opstical when trying

24t

Thanks for the info. I was glad to hear you are a med student, you therefore know medically what the symptoms were. It is really thick now, will not stretch at all, but it does keep shape when I roll it between my fingers. Is this a good sign?Also, do you know the odds of miscarrige after stopping birth control pills. I didn't take the last 4 or so in my pack as I had missed 3 prior to that so I just through them out, then I bled 4 days. We then decided to try to get pregnant.I'm assuming roughly 14 days from that I will o. Which was yesterday and the day before I think. Anyway, do you think I could get pregnant that fast, if so, would everything be ok after taking the pill for 10 years.
Thank You so Much,
Cheers
Rebecca
Well, you are ovulating now if it's thick and keeping shape.  I missed a lot of pills and took them off coarse as well.  When I did that, I got a little off coarse.  After you stop taking the pills, you should wait at least 2 to 3 weeks or so to make sure it is all out of your system.  I'm not certain about the odds of miscarage, but I have known many to do what we are doing and their kids are beautiful and healthy.

Misty
Thanks guys for all the info. I hope your right and it's that time, o time heheh. My hubby thinks this is great-every night and morning. It' seems to be more romantic for some reason. He is so excited because this will be his first, my first two are from my first marrige. They will love it too.
The c mucous is still think and keeping shape, how long would it stay this way after o ends, or should it coincide. What hpt would you recommend, the quickest and most accurate. I want to know as soon as possible. I just can't wait. I'm a little worried though, I still feel like I'm going to get AF really soon-bloated and pressure inside my hips and lower back pain. This is emotionally draining, it never leaves your mind. Thanks again guys, I welcome any info.
Cheers