Maternal & Child Community
Chemical Pregnancies??? Reasons

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Chemical Pregnancies??? Reasons

Just after reading posts today (and thanks to vsentz) who just talked about a recent cp of hers?

I had 2 this year...At least that's what the drs think.  I was 5-6 days late for my period and had a very heavy period after positive HPTs.

Does anyone know the reasons for this...why it doesn't attach and it just keeps moving?

I had 2 in a row?  Is it really just luck like my dr says?
It is usually b/c there is something wrong with the embryo.
I got this info on it:

Chemical Pregnancy

What is it? A "chemical pregnancy" is another word for "early miscarriage" or "spontaneous abortion". It's a pregnancy that was confirmed by a pregnancy test, but an ultrasound shows nothing. The pregnancy test is often barely positive, or blood hCg levels are very low and don't increase as they should. It is likely that fertilization occurs, but the egg dies shortly after implantation. These days, a woman can test positive for pregnancy as early as 1-2 days before a menstrual period is missed, usually 11 or 12 days after conception. Without having tested, most women would never have known that they were briefly pregnant. Most people are not aware of just how common chemical pregnancies are: it is likely that 30-40% of all pregnancies end up in a chemical pregnancy, and without testing (such as is constantly being done by women who are actively trying to conceive!), most women would never even know about it, possibly getting their period a few days late or maybe experiencing a slightly heavier flow than normal. If the pregnancy develops several more weeks into a sac but without an embryo, then it's called a "blighted ovum".

There are several different reasons why a chemical pregnancy may have occurred, and sometimes the reason is just not discoverable. Some reasons include low progesterone; uterine lining is not thick enough to support the implanted egg (which may indicate low estrogen); chromosomal (genetic) abnormalities with the sperm or the egg; immune issues (see inciid.org for more information on this); possible obstructions in the uterus (for example, fibroid tumors); infections and diseases (many bacterial and viral infections can contribute to a miscarriage, including viral infections such the cytomegalic virus, bacterial infections such as chlamydia, mycoplasma, ureaplasma and streptococcus, or in rare cases, parasitic infection such as toxoplasmosis; disease, such as undiagnosed diabetes, can also cause a miscarriage); age of the mother
Thanks for the info. and clearing up what a "chemical pregnancy" is . I had never heard of it till visiting this site. I can see miscarriage rates "going up" with the earlier testing as dr's have always said that a great % of miscarriages occur and the woman never knew of the pregnancy.
I had a chemical pregnancy in March of this year.  I think it was due to the fact that i had a D&C and my uterine lining could not support the embryo.  

They can happen for any reason... its one of those "mysteries"
I am so glad you posted all that info...I always wanted to know all those details.  I had a chemical miscarriage in July and on the 19th I am going to have a polypscopy (sp?) and then wait to ttc, I do not want to go through another cm knowing once scrapped the lining needs to be thicken.
Thank you again and best wishes
Wow - thanks for all that info.

I'm kinda sorry I asked now...LOL
More stressed thinking about it now...I was hoping it was just luck!!!! LOL

I guess I'm just confused because I did have 3 m/c this year after a very healthy pregnancy...just not sure what has changed?

Same 2 parents...????
I wait till I am 2 weeks late for my period before I test. That way I am almost always pregnant for sure. I have probably had miscarriages I don't even know about becasue I have been late several times. If you don't know you are pregnant yet then it doesn't hurt when you start your period. Sometimes I have thought I maybe was but it still doesn't hurt if you haven't seen a positive test yet. The 2 I know that I lost I was 10 and 11 weeks when I miscarried.
Not a problem girls! that's why im here for!!! =))
My problem is I've always known I was pregnant 7 days after conception...seriously.  I don't know what it is but my body starts changing immediately.  I actually start getting milk.
Well it's that thick early milk...colostrum.

WEIRD - I know.