Maternal & Child Community
Chemical Pregnancy,? Missed Miscarriage? What the hell is going on???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi all,
I am desperate for an answer as my wife and I are totally distraught. My wife had a + home pregnancy test on Aug 5th. We assumed we conceived around July 20th and thought we were 9 weeks pregnant. Today we went to the OB and an ultrasound showed findings consistent with a 5.5 week pregnancy (apparently a totally "normal" 5.5 wk pregnancy). Obviously this freaked he hell out of us. The Dr said that the two possibilities were
1. A chemical pregnancy that happened in late july/early Aug when the home pregnancy test was +. And that now there is a healthy 5.5 wk pregnancy conceived sometime in Aug
2. A missed misscarriage of the 9 wk embryo that arrested in growth at 5 weeks.

My question is that my wife had very light blood spotting about 2 weeks ago and nothing since the. DOes it seem possible that she had a chemical pregnancy...didnt bleed and now is pregnant? How common is it to have a misscarriage that stays around for 4 weeks? Now, we dont have an HCG back yet but we are FREAKING OUT!! Any advice/opinion would be welcome. No need to sugar coat it. I just want some honesty. Thank you all

God Bless

Waleran
Ugh, how terrible. I've never heard of a chemical pregnancy with no bleeding, but there are always exceptions to the rules. You don't know the exact date of conception, so maybe it was a little later than 7/20, and the hpt picked it up really early. Were they able to see a heartbeat on the u/s?
When was her LMP?
I really hope that everything turns out ok for you. I'm sure they'll give her another u/s in a week or so and hopefully you'll see the heartbeat then.
  My first pregnancy seemed completely normal, no bleeding cramping and still had all pregnancy symptoms. I had my first u/s at 12 weeks and they found just a sac that measured 8 weeks and the baby had stopped developing even before that. So, yes, a missed m/c can take several weeks to happen naturally. I ended up having a D&C.
  On the other hand, I became pregnant again in Jan 06 and totally thought I was 7 weeks, but had an u/s and showed just the sac, no hb, at 5 weeks. But had another u/s a week later and baby grew and saw a heartbeat at 6 weeks. In my case, I had ovulated 2 weeks late so I was just not as far along as I thought I was. I was always very regular too, so I was not expecting to be 2 weeks behind what I thought. I am now 34 weeks and all is going good this time. Strange things happen. I do wish you the best.
Did you have a 'normal' heavy AF after your miscarriage and then became pg? I thought i read it, im sorry if i am mistaken....thank you =)
Hmmm, that may have been another Jenny on here. I remember waiting extra long for my first AF and it was actually fairly normal. I actually waited 6 months to ttc again though ( I was scared of another m/c and also had a job switch so waiting for new med ins to start too), but we got pregnant again very quickly.
my baby died at 8 weeks and I found out at 12 weeks.  The important thing to do would be do another ultrasound in a week or so to check for growth or h/b.  I had no problems and had no reason to think I had miscarried ( called and missed miscarriage).  best of luck and lots of prayer
Wow,

thank you for the quick responses. I really appreciate it. No heartbeat or fetal pole seen at this time but the radiologist (who seemed to be the most knowledgable of the bunch) said this was totally normal for a 5.5 wk fetus. We are getting another US next thursday. Got a beta today (dont know the result yet) and another coming up on friday. we'll see I guess. Thank you all

Waleran
Waleran - what a great husband!  First of all you are doing exactly the right thing by trying to find out info so you can be supportive.  Second, try to be as upbeat and positive and relaxed (yeah, I am having trouble with that one as well) with her as possible, while not being blind to possible scenarios.  My doctor says "cautious optimisim" is the best approach.  They keep talling me I may have ovulated later than I thought (at at 5-6 wks), and you just can hope it is the case with your wife as well.  Maybe do something nice, like make dinner, or make her a bath (not too hot), to help her relax and just know you are there for her.  Reassure her that whatever happens it is not her fault, and that if what you hope comes true, than this was a "good" egg and meant to be your baby, and if the worst happens, it means that that particule fertilized egg was not going to be healthy, and that it is good to at least know you were both fundamentally working properly and have a good chance if you keep trying.  It is so stressful and I don't have any magic words.  The bottom line, it that it all could be just fine and the dates a little messed up, so don't give up yet.  If it d/n work out, get your cues from her (e.g., if she needs a month off before trying again, etc.).
Sorry Waleran, don't mean to take space in your thread! =)
I am very sorry about what you are going thru, my heart goes out with you and your dear wife. I hope it's just a screw up in dates....
I had a chemical pregnancy on March 14.  It was so quick - we found out I was pregnant on Sunday March 12 and then I miscarried on Tuesday March 14 so we were around 5.5 weeks.  I cramped, bled, and discharged a sac.  How much bleeding did she have the first time?  Was there any clots?  After I m/c we got pregnant right away after that without even having a cycle in between.  The ovulation was exactly the same date as if I had counted my m/c as the last menstraul cycle so it looks like after my chemical pregnancy my body went back to the normal cycle right away.  I am now a healthy 27 weeks pregnant and my dates/size are completely correct counting my m/c as the date of my LMP.  So it could be that your wife did have a chemical pregnancy and then she ovulated right away and got pregnant right away again.  Good luck!
Im sorry, i didn't mean to mistaken you for someone else. =)
I am very glad you did get pg right away! did you do something else other than bd around when you thought you O'ed?
Thank you all agian for your comments. I dont know how women who have m/c do it. It is really a very painful and very deep feeling of loss. On a happier(????with very guarded optimism!!!!) note my wife's beta from yesterday came back at 14,300. She gets her next one on friday so we'll hope for the best. Thank you all again and I'll let you know what happens

God Bless

Waleran
That's a really good hCG number.  Will be thinking of you!
WOW!Thats a great hcg#.You are such a great husband.My d/h is also always ontop of my blood results asks me how I'm felling? After m/c that is just what I needed!As for you & d/w things look good,Keep us posted,lol nanis
beta dipped from 14300 to 11000 which I guess is not good. My poor wife is terrified/hysterical. I just feel awful and helpless. thank you all for your comments.

God bless

Waleran

God bless

Waleran