Maternal & Child Community
Child With Fever - When Should I Be Concerned? Anybody Else Up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi, I know it's pretty late. I came here because a lot of you guys seem to stay up late too! My three year old started having cold like symptoms yesterday, gradually getting worse today. By tonight I saw he had a fever (101 under the arm) at around dinnertime. He was starting to get a little lathargic and didn't eat dinner. I checked his temp again at 7:30pm and it was 102.4 under the arm. I gave him a tsp of children's tylenol. An hour later I checked. It didn't go down. I gave him 3/4 tsp of dimetapp and put him to bed around 9pm. He was still acting cuddly, lathargic. I put the humidifier on in his room and just now checked him at 11:30pm. His temp was 103.4 under the arm. I gave him another tsp of children's tylenol.
I'm a little worried that his temperature isn't going down even with the medication. At what point should I take him in? I'm thinking of making an appointment in the morning, but I'm still a little worried about him tonight. He's almost never sick! I guess that's what's throwing me.
I'm tempted to pick him up out of his own bed and put him in bed with me so I can constantly check him tonight. I don't know if I'm going to get much sleep anyway.
How high does the temperature have to go before I should take him to the Emergency Room? I don't want to be a paranoid mom, but it's been awhile since I had a little one like this! My other two are so much bigger. I guess I'm babbling now. I must be tired.
I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.
i know i dont have any kids but ive seen a friend go threw what ur goin threw and she  have little worried to and found out that it was a lot more wrong wit child then she thought so i would go a head and take him in better now then later
I don't have children but work with them and thought that at 104 degrees you take them to hospital. You could try a sponge bath to bring it down until morning and keep a close eye on him. I would be taking him to Dr first thing in the morning. Goodluck!
Huney he needs to go in. You know when its under the arm you add a degree right? By the sounds of it its going up not down. If you dont want to take him in you can rotate tylenol and ibprofren. Thats what they always tell me to do for fever. If all else fails just call and ask a nurse at the hospital or the E.R. they would better know what you should do. Keep us posted =)
Yes, daprincess is right -- you add a degree for under the arm.  At 3 I would definitely call the on-call doctor for advise with a temp that high -- especially in the middle of the night -- or just go to the ER!  

Check your ped's guidelines w/ them.  My kids are older now, but I think that at that age they had me call to check when it was over 101.5.

Also, Tylenol has NEVER brought down my kid's fevers...it works for some people.  Advil (ibuprofen) brings down their fever...and you can use both, just check w/ your ped how to do...they are different meds so it's not overdosing (assuming you do it correctly) and you really should right it down b/c it gets confusing.

Hope your little guy is feeling better by now...good luck!
Take him in to be seen. He's not too young to have a febrile seizure. Good luck.
April, I was just checking to see how your son is feeling today and see if his fever has come down.  I know when my son was that age, a high temp like that usually meant he had an ear infection.  He never cried when he had one, but the high temp was a dead give away.  Hope he is doing much better today.  
Hi everyone! Thanks for checking with me and for caring! I tried to make an appointment with pediatrics and they were full this morning so I made an appointment with the acute care clinic. I wound up being there for over 3 hours. I wasn't very impressed with them to tell you the truth. They were an hour and a half late bringing me to a room, then disappeared. The doctor came in and seemed to have an attitude (so was the tech who changed the paper on the examining table come to think of it! Maybe everybody was fighting??), anyway, she looked in his ears and said his ears were fine which surprised me. I was sure he had an ear infection. They had given him tylenol and motrin shortly after I arrived and checked back with him a couple of hours later (yes, I was still sitting there) and his temperature didn't go down. It was better than last night but still a little elevated (100.8). The doctor said she thought he was dehydrated because his eyes looked a little sunken in and he hadn't peed since this morning. She asked if I wanted them to put an IV in? I asked if we could try getting him to drink some juice first and see how he acted. I went to the vending machine and bought him a big bottle of apple juice and a package of peanut butter crackers. He drank half the bottle (about 8 oz) and ate two crackers and acted much better. He really seemed to perk up so I told her we'd just go home and I'd make sure he was drinking.

I'm still a little worried so I may wind up bringing him back in tonight. He hasn't eaten anything since yesterday afternoon except those two peanut butter crackers. He had a sippy cup of milk this morning, a sippy cup of orange juice this afternoon, and about 8 oz of apple juice. I tried to get him to eat dinner and he ate a few bites and a small cup of milk, then when he got down from the table he threw it all up. This is the first time he's thrown up. The doctor had asked me if he was throwing up but he wasn't then. She figured he just has a virus. Now that he's thrown up, does that change things? I sure hope he doesn't throw up again especially since he's already been a little dehydrated today. I guess this is going to be another sleepless night. Poor baby, maybe he has a stomach bug, then. I sure hope it's not flu. He's hardly ever sick! I'm working on trying to get him to drink some pedialyte right now. He's sitting with my husband right now.

fungirl, thanks for checking back. I did really think it was an ear infection! He also doesn't usually let me know by pulling on his ears, etc. He just usually gets a fever and quits eating like he did today. Now that he's thrown up, I don't know what to think. I'll write back tomorrow and let you know how he is.
Checking to see how the lil guy was? I wanted to tell you than when Kennedy gets sick and hasnt had alot of fluids, i have given her powerade when she dont take the pedialyte well. They also say gatorade works too. When she was little we used propel she took to it well. Our docter had ok'd this when i let her know the pediylte was coming up too. They always told us small sips frequently. Its easier said than done especially when the poor things are thirsty. Keep us posted!

Did they give a dianosis?
Sara
Hi. Thanks for asking. He just woke up a little while ago. Last night after dinner he'd thrown up but hasn't since. He did have diarehea last night and again this morning. It must be some kind of stomach bug, I guess. He had a temperature last night of 102 but doesn't seem to have one this morning. We're being cautious this morning. He's eating a dry piece of toast with just a tiny bit of jelly and a half a banana with some juice. We'll see if he eats that and how he does.

Oh, and they didn't really give a diagnosis except she said he has a viral infection. He wasn't throwing up then so I don't know now if maybe it could be flu. I don't think the doctor really  knew to tell you the truth. Like I said, I spent over 3 hours in the hospital yesterday and it was a real joke. Most of the time they had left us alone. They barely looked at him. If he continues to throw up today or not eat or holds a fever, I'll take him back in today. Hopefully, that same doctor won't be on call. I wasn't real impressed with her.
Thanks again for asking! I'm sure he'll be ok. He's always been a pretty healthy boy. I'm sure he'll bounce back real soon from this.
I would just try to get into the peds office when you can.  Acute clinics treat them, but don't specialize in children, and kiddos can run high temps and have nothing really big going on.  Cam was running a good one higher than that and it was just a tummy bug.  I did call and get him in to the office.  He was not big enough at the time to take motrin, but it does way better for the fever.  You can rotate tylenol and motin, and take a lukewarm bath, or place wash cloths on the neck and under his arms.  Helped for Cam when the fever wouldn't break.  We took our older son in to the ER at 6 months when he was burning up and puking violently every 10 to 15 min.  We were advised to do so by the oncall ped.  The ER didn't do much but tell us he was really dehydrated and to force a tsp of pedialyte down him every 15 min to replenish.  I was covered in vomit at the ER from him puking everywhere, they were not concerned.  Was told to take him to the ped in the morning.  From then on, I have just tried to stick with the peds office if it can wait till morning.  Call back and tell the nurse you went to the ER, don't talk to the front desk, the nurse can work you in.  It seems awful, but soun ds like he has a bug, keep the fluids and I would try the motrin, will work way better.  Also, try the bratt diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and tea, those will help too.  I hope he feels better soon, and call the Dr. and insist he be seen today.
I know what you mean. I really don't like to use the Acute Care Clinic if I don't have to. This lady doctor was something else. When asking if I wanted an IV she said it didn't matter to her it wasn't her child. She said she didn't have any children. I could tell! I wondered if she even cared about the patients she was seeing. She sure didn't act like it.

The thing that worries me a bit right now is he hasn't eaten anything since Thursday afternoon except 2 crackers and one bite of toast this morning. He has had some juice and a little pedialyte and two popsicles last night. He's not real active but he's playing with his toy cars this morning. How long can he go without eating? He's a big boy for his age, so it's not like he's a frail little thing to begin with. He's 3 feet tall and 37 pounds. I guess he's being cautious about eating since he threw up last night. I don't know. He's had diarehea last night and this morning. He's not running a fever at this point. I guess I'll just watch him. He keeps asking for milk. The doctor told me yesterday to stay away from milk. I'm trying to give him juice, water and pedialyte but he started crying and saying he wanted milk. I'm trying to be very careful about what he takes in today. I know about the BRAT diet. I'll try some applesauce later, maybe. I need to get to the store. Thanks for writing.
April, you doctor is right, stay away from milk for a few days.  Milk can make the diarehea worse.  Just keep trying with the fluids, as diarehea is also a sign of dehydration.  My doctor told me not to worry about eating, as long as my kids are drinking and not dehydrating.  He said that when thier stomaches got to feeling better, then they would eat.  Like I said before, if you have to, get a medicine dropper and give him a teaspoon every half hour or so.  That way, at least he is getting some fluids on a regular basis.  Has he been peeing?  At the age of 3, he should be peeing at least 6-8 times a day (on a normal day).  If he is not peeing at least 3 times, then he needs to be seen again.  I know  you do not want him to have to get an IV, and believe me I can relate to that as my autisitc daughter does not understand that type of thing, but when she was sick, and they gave her an IV, she litterally got much more active about an hour after she got fluids.  If you would like to chat somemore, my IM id is kasielevitt.  If you have IM, send me and invite as a friend, and we can chat away.  :-)  Hope things get better today for you and for him.  Kasie
Just give him maybe a little bit of milk just to appease him with maybe a little bit of cheerio's and see how he handles it.  I never listened to the stay away from milk for if my boys wanted--I would give it to them.  If it made their tummies upset then I would tell we have to wait till tomorrow to try again with milk.  But juice and popsicles are great for fluid.  Hope he gets better today and stays that way.
You know what? He's barely peed since yesterday. I'll keep a watch on that and keep trying to push the liqueds. He's acting ok, otherwise.

Happy Birthday, by the way! I saw you said your birthday is tomorrow.
I know we have IM, I just haven't used it in years. I usually just check my email. Lol, I'm rather computer iliterate. I'll have to check it out.

Now, I really have to go to the store. I'm slow moving today! I wanted to wait tll my little one was down for a nap so my husband could get a few things done. Gotta go. Chat with you later.
I hope he's doing better today.
Thanks, Critter! He seems better today. He hasn't thrown up. He's still not really eating, but drinking. He doesn't seem to have a fever anymore and has been playing some today. I guess it was just a stomach bug and needs time to get out of his system. I did keep him home from church today. I wouldn't want to unknowingly pass on something to somebody else's kid. Although, there seems to be some people who don't seem to mind doing that!
I know, glad to hear he's doing better.  I was worried it had been a few days since he's been eating, it's always scary when you can't make it all better right away.  The flu has been going around, we had the tummy bug version, not fun for anyone.  Ours did not last nearly as long though.  Good thing he's home today with mom, that always feels them better.  (My son Carson will tell me things feels him better.)   Hope he's running around by the evening and back to himself by morning!