Maternal & Child Community
Choosing a Pediatrician for Triplets

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Choosing a Pediatrician for Triplets

I'm 25 weeks pregnant with triplets and talked with my OB about choosing a good pediatrician for them when they're born.  His wife is a pediatrician, and I love my doctor, so I think I'm going to go in and meet her.  I don't have other children, so this is all new to me. I feel odd making an appointment for nothing other than to meet her - how many of you did that?  And I guess I should be prepared with questions and stuff, but I really have no idea what I'm supposed to ask or how this works.  I'd appreciate any advice.  Thanks!
I found that the best thing you can do when choosing ANY doctor is to ask around and get people's opinions. I wish I'd have done that before I went to my OB. He used to be great and I just assumed he was still loved by all. If I'd have asked around before going to him, I'd have saved alot of headache, because NO ONE likes him anymore!!

Aside from that, I got online and looked at different websites of people who had been suggested to me. That helped me make my final decision because the one website I chose gave specifics on the doctor's schooling, experience, etc. I knew I wanted a ped. who'd been at it awhile because there are so many "new wave" doctors that have some really absurd ideas that I don't agree with. So, I chose my guy by pretty much word of mouth and his website!! Plus, I don't know if alot of places do this, but the practice our ped is in is open 7 days a week with Sundays being reserved for sick kids only! (That way they wouldn't be all booked up with check ups when your little angel just got hit with a fever of 103)

I also like that they do developmental check ups. I was surprised (and disappointed) with the amount of docs who don't do regular ole check ups anymore...they think the kids are in the office enough being sick...they don't need to come back more often. I think that's so dumb! Kids aren't in a state to be evaluated for their development when they aren't feeling well...who's performing well when they are sick!? I think that assessing development is very important starting early on so that anything can be caught...I'm a big fan of early intervention! Plus, with triplets, they are bound to be preemies so you will probably want (and be encouraged) to keep a close eye on their development anyhow! (That seems to be a common thread for preemies)

So that's my 2 cents on the whole ordeal! lol Hope it helped somewhat! Oh...I personally didn't make an appt. to meet my doctor before the baby comes because A) I don't have enough time any more lol and B) I figure at the 2 week check when we meet him, I'll know if I can't stand him and we can switch! :)
Hi!  DH and I "interviewed" three potential pediatricians.  I'm so glad we did this, too, because all three were SO DIFFERENT!  All three came very highly recommended by someone well respected in the medical community where I live, so that was a good start.  The interviews consisted of questions pertaining to how to get in touch with them in an emergency, do they have infant-only waiting rooms, do they have 24-hour on-call service for questions, etc...  I also am very personality-oriented and wanted to see which ones we "meshed" with.  I love my son's pediatrician.  She's awesome - very wonderful.  She was the third interview, and we almost didn't interview her, because we like the 2nd guy very much.  Thank goodness we waited.  I say go for it - peds expect it, and they sometimes charge a copay for it, though.  Good luck!
i would think peds want you to interview them in advance. as rubyolivia said, there are so many schools of thought out there, and i am sure your ped wouldn't want a patient whose parents do not follow the same philosophies. i asked around, and got a recommendation from other parents. my ob did recommend someone but we did not go with them. we didn't even interview them because we didn't like the location or hours. i did not go to the interview with a list of questions, but he has done so many interviews he brought up every topic i could have thought of. we loved his personality, and his theories on vaccinations and antibiotic use matched our views exactly. plus, we got to see the layout of the actual office, we saw how long people waited, saw what the rest of the staff was like, etc... my ped did not charge a copay for the interview.
i forgot to mention- just to show you they expect it, my ped even has specific hours on certain days of the month set aside for interviews
Sounds like you found a great doc!! That is the ONE thing that I wish I'd have done the interview for, is to get his view on vaccinations. I guess as long as he does not judge my well researched decisions to delay some shots then I'm not real concerned with what his opinion is on them. I just don't want to be treated like dirt for my choice. Like I said above, though, I think at my ds's first appointment at 2 weeks I will be able to tell if we'll get along well. If not...it's certainly never too late to switch!!
I think it is a good idea to do an interview, today I had a phone confrence with my new doctor because I can't speak with him in person right now and I was very pleased!

Anyways shamanda how are the babies?  I don't remember if I have asked, do you know what you are having?  How big is your belly measuring?
he's a great doc for us. i'm a preschool teacher, and dh is a pharmacist, so we have strong opinions about vaccines. we feel they're important, but don't want her getting several at once. dr is willing to work with us on the schedule. dr is also conservative about using antibiotics for things like ear infections. that is something dh feels VERY strongly about.
Thanks!  This is all so new to me - I'd like to know more about peoples' opinions on vaccinations.  I guess I didn't know it was controversial!  Now I'm curious...
NewMommy - The babies are perfect!  So far, we haven't had a single complication and they are all right on target with all their measurements.  Tomorrow is my last day off work, as a precaution, but no bedrest in sight!  We're having identical boys and a girl.  As of 2 weeks ago, the doctor measured my belly and said it measures as if I was 32 weeks, but I swear I grow every day.  It's still not as huge as I thought it would be at this point, but I'm sure that's coming soon!
Aww how cute!  I will be done with work at 13 weeks, that just seems so early!  But we are moving so I guess I kind of have to be done by then anyways!  I have a feeling on what the babies are and daddy doesn't like what I think, lol.  I'm thinking I'm having four girls and everytime I say something about it my husband just says no way, I've got a football player in there. lol!  I am excited to find out what they are!