Chromasomal Abnormalities
I just received results of genetic testing after my second miscarriage in a row. I do have one healthy son. Can anyone help me understand what I was told by my doctor? I was told I have a chromasomal abnormality on chromasome #4. I was told that the lower the chromasome abnormality the more the fetus is incompatable with life. I didn't know what questions to ask because I received this information over the phone. My questions are: Is this the main reason that everyone has miscarriages? What is the % of miscarriage from chromasomal abnormalities. Does this mean that if I get pregnant again I can have a chromasomal abnormality on a higher chromasome and it could cause Down Syndrome? Was my first child a miracle? I have more questions now then before I knew the results. My doctor didn't suggest coming in to talk to her or genetic testing. I would appreciate any information.
I'm so sorry for your loss!  I have read in almost everything written about miscarriage that by far the commonest reason for miscarriage is a chromosomal problem with the fetus.  I would ask the doctor to explain whether this #4 is just the testing naming the one that was the problem for this fetus, or if it is considered to be a continued risk.  If the doctor doesn't do a satisfactory job of explaining, then you might ask to talk to a genetic counselor.  Good luck!
I think I left out that it was a Trisomy on Chromaosome #4. Doctors never tell you enough. I don't know if they think you understand because they do or if they so used to these things happening that it is no big deal to them
majority of m/c are from chromosone abnormality...alot of people who m/c for the first time never really know why because the fetus wasn't sent out for further reasoning....i m/c for the first time in january...my obgyn is very particular with everthing and sent me to a gentic counsulor...i had 69xxx...i had a extra chromosone...the chances of this happening again is less than 1%....you are fine sweetheart!!! if this is your 3 or 4 m/c then i would be concerned..otherwise your fine...babydust and godbless!!
I'd ask to talk to a genetic counselor.  Good luck!
Thanks to everyone who responded. I understand that I do not have the same problem. I guess I am confused if this could happen again on a different higher chromosome next time. On a higher chromosome it will live and have extensive problems. I am assuming from the e-mails that this could happen to anyone and that I am not a carrier of anything.
npd
I was a little confused when I read your post because it sounded like you were saying that YOU had a chromosomal abnormality.  In fact, after rereading your post, I understand that the fetus (I'm assuming they did genetic testing following the m/c or d&c) had a trisomy of chromosome #4, which led to early miscarriage.  This DOES NOT MEAN that you have the same abnormality - if you did, you would not be here (as the doctor said, it is an abnormality incompatible with life).  That means that a genetic mutation occurred, probably during cell division (most trisomies occur when DNA replication and cell division don't proceed normally.  This doesn't mean that any future fetus would have the same mutation.  These mutations are often random events, and chances are you WILL BE FINE the next time.  I am frankly shocked that your doctor didn't explain all of this better. I wish you the best and hope this helps you.
- Natalie
see Brandiff, why ur Doctor isnt willing to explain to ur answers, if she is so bad to you, kidnly change her before any further thoughts. I had 1st mc in Dec,09, and 2nd recently, had D&C ystrday, March 10.
I dun find difficulty in conceiving, I do it on the same cycle I try, but have got some issues still with baby survival, both ended 10 and 8 weeks,
I hav sent genetic testing for me POC(Products of conception) privately, will have to pay myself, but its worth it, to give u a peace of ur mind.
good luck for u.
Most women will have atleast 1 if not 2 miscarriages during their reproductive life.  This is why doctors don't consider you at high risk of repeat miscarriages until you have had atleast 3.  In my experience, I have been pregnant 8 times.  I have 4 healthy kids, had 2 first trimester miscarriages (1 natural/1 d & c) and a full term stillborn (cord related) and I am now 15 weeks pregnant.  Each time you get pregnant it's a game of roulette unless you have specific markers or illnesses that show you have a higher percentage of having a chromosomal abnormality in the fetus or other birth defect there is really no way of knowing.  Any time you become pregnant, even for the healthiest of women who have had children before, there's no way to know if all cells will divide properly and all will go well.  I would definately ask your doctor to go into more detail so you understand this more.  If he/she refuses I would seek out another doctor and/or maternal fetal medicine doctor or genetic counselor to get some peace of mind.
Ugg just realized this was an old post so nevermind LOL