Maternal & Child Community
Chronic stomach ache in toddler. HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Chronic stomach ache in toddler. HELP!

My 3 year old daughter has had a off & on stomach ache for just a little over 2 weeks now. I took her to the pediatrician on Friday 7-14-06 & she said she thought it was acid reflux & gave samples of prevacid. She said we should see improvement in 3-4 days & I could also give her pepto if she still hurts later in day after prevacid. We have seen no improvement & last night I had to give her the pepto. I don't feel I should be giving her both of these meds everyday. (I try to hold out on giving her meds until she's unbearable) I've tried different things to see if she just wants the med because she likes the taste or wants attention or is in her head. Nothing works. She has stopped doing things she enjoys because of the pain. (pain is not constant, it comes & goes) No other symptoms except she has been having light green stools. She has not had any cool aid or other juices. Has anyone else experienced this? The pedi said if there wasn't an improvement than she would send us to a specialist. Any advice or help would be great Thanks!
my son has had the same problem.  The Dr said it was an intestional flu and needed to run it's course.  It took about 3 wks.  His pain was lower abdomen.
i hope this isnt too personal, but does go to the baqthroom a lot? just wondering, cause a friend of mine used to have very painful stomach cramps and she would sometimes spend hours in the bathroom...after a barrage of tests that seemed to show nothing, they found out she is allergic to gluten..which is basically wheat and wheat products,the stomach cramps usually occured within a few hours of her eating something that contained gluten...turns out shes had it all her life but for some reason it didnt affect her like this until recently. she remembers having pains since she was a little kid, but nothing like how it had been until she changed her diet. i dont know if this is what your daughter has, but if you do go to a specialist, i would ask about it, and about the chances of her having it...i dont know if this is helpful or not...oh i believe the name of what my friend has is called celiac disease..im sure you can google it and see if what your daughter is experiencing is in any way similar.
Thanks so much for your help. Today has been one of the worse days. When I ask her where it hurts she sometimes will point to the middle part of her left ribcage & others she will point to her bellybutton. She pretty much goes poopoo everytime she goes to the bathroom. The pedi couldn't hear constipation or feel it, but I'm going to give her a suppository today & see if that helps. My aunt thinks she could be constipated since she goes so often & it's usually small round ones. (Sorry for all the info) I don't think she's constipated, but it's worth a shot. I just want to be able to fix it. Thanks again for your help & I'll look up that diagnosis later today.
It does help, thanks. We also have a baby girl who's about to be 8 months that we are trying to introduce baby food to. (She still nurses full time & wants to keep it that way) My older daughter wants to try all the baby food so I'm going to pick up some of the prune baby food also. If it's constipation then one of this should help it. Thanks so much. I'm a new stay at home mom & it's nice to have others to talk to other than my 3 little ones during the day. Thanks!
Don't wait til the pain gets awful before you give her the meds.  they work more effectively if taken around the clock or as directed insead of waiting til the pain is out of control. go back to the doctor after a few days if she doesn't get better soon.
I give her the prevacid at the same time everyday so that she has the 24 hrs apart. It's the pepto that I try to hold off on. This morning so far is much better than yesterday morning. I hope it stays that way. I gave her a suppository yesterday. (it was horrible) She also ate a jar of prunes baby food. A little more than two hours later she finally had a bm. It wasn't much at all. I was expecting a lot more with the suppository, especially if she really is constipated. If we continue to have bad days I'm going to go ahead & see the specialist. Thanks again guys.
Sounds like constipation with the small balls. (daughter had it). For now give her senns (over the counter stool softner). Then begin to push water and fiber foods slowly. ALot of adults who are often constipated begin as toddlers. This can easily be rectified. My daughter is 6 and must take fiber capsules daily or else it gets bad. One should never poop small balls. They should always be well formed decent size and non foul smellling. The pain often radiated to the back aswell. So 1) go to drug store and get senna. Give this to her daily for say a week to clean her out. 2) increase fiber 3) cut out sweets and all junk food (mc D's,etc) also deep fried food are not good. Also get some castor oil to rub on her belly to loosen stomach muscles. Oh also is she taking iron in her vitamins this may or may not be a cause. Let me know. Liz :) ps pediatricinas don't seem to help with this problem. In general we should all poop 2-3 time saday and when we don't it just mean we need fiber. If she will take metimucel in a drink that is great
I have had the same problem my daughter is also 3 ,says she has a belly ache ,and also had green stole .It's been going on for a month I brought her to the doc 3 times they have did blood work and found nothing . I know she really is sick because she also does not want to do the thing she usually enjoys .She also is very pale . What to do ????
I have had the same problem my daughter is also 3 ,says she has a belly ache ,and also had green stole .It's been going on for a month I brought her to the doc 3 times they have did blood work and found nothing . I know she really is sick because she also does not want to do the thing she usually enjoys .She also is very pale .
hi i know what your going through! my son is 2 years and he wakes up during the night aching from this stomach...
take your daughter to the hospital and let them run some scans on her belly (to be on the safe side) or if you want you can rum some warm olive oil on her belly before she goes to sleep that should help calm the nerves as she sleeps.
I personally wouldn't mess around with home remedies here and put her through more pain.  Green stool can indicate increased bile, meaning the gallbladder/liver are involved.  Put her at best on a nice bland diet, that means white food like rice, bananas, white bread--no fats, no meats, no tomatoes no citrus, etc. Give her a rest, poor thing.  Why give her more fiber. Pepto Bismol btw is meant to combat diarrhea to some extent and will stop you up.  If you have a stomach bacteria or parasite it can be dangerous.

I also totally disagree with assuming it's constipation or even reflux for that matter. An abdominal u/s would show lots, with no pain at all--do you have insurance?  It's very quick and painless.  There are things like appendix that cause pains in different parts of belly, also. I'm surprised doc didn't do any actual tests.  Allergy tests might be in order too--they can cause bad stomach pain and pooping trouble. They can also test the poop for parasites. Good luck.

My 5 year old daughter has also been complaining of belly pain for over 2 months. She has had green stool for 2 weeks. She has been to her pediatrician twice, and they also put her on prevacid - thinking it was reflux. She has been on Miralax to control her stool frequency for a few months. She complains all day, and I really need more answers. She is not following her normal routine, and hardly eats. I am concerned, which is why I am now doing my own homework. I would appreciate any information you have on treatments/diagnosis that have worked.
Green stools are an indicator of lactose intolerance, not a bile issue as a previous poster suggested, if it was, the stool would be white/pale!

She could be sensitive to dairy products.
i am curious what has happened since your last posting. my three year old has complained of belly aches past few days and today had green stool.  she also has not had the same type of appetite as she normally has.  did your daughter recover? any diagnosis?
My three year old son has been complaining of a belly ache with very similar complaints. It is never directed to one area of his tummy it is all over although it seems to be more in the upper left quarter when he lets me feel around and ask( which is hardly ever) He has been going on with this for almost two months, doctors ran blood and urine test found nothing. I am now looked as I am over reacting as  I have been in numerous times. He also has had a head ache that has been so bad on and off that a CT was done and nothing was found although I am looking into a second opinion. If anyone can recommend a place to get a good second opinion for the CT or if anyone finds out anything relating to what is causing their child to have stomach pains with light colored pale stool with occasional green stools with a head accompanying it as well l would be very great full as I will do the same if I find anything further out. This is crazy that so many of us are going through this and still nothing is found, I can relate to the frustration. I will admit having to watch and not being able to do anything has at times put me to tears.
Well I have had these same problems since I was a small child like you are discribing about your children.  I am now 29 years old and have a daughter who is 15 months old and she has these same problems.  She has also been diagnoised with celiac diease and duodenitis and acid reflux which is the same things that I was diagnoised with at an early age also.  The only way for them to find out for sure if they have the things is to do a berrium swallow for the acid reflux for this will show if they are having acid come back up. celiac panel which is blood work and to do endoscopy with biopsies which will show the celiac and duodenitis.  This is kinda scary for them to go through but it is well worth it to know cause these are nothing to play with cause they can cause even more complications.  
Please help me. My 2year old son is having stomach pains mainly at night and until he has been up for an hour or two. We have spent two night in th ER only for them to say it is the stomach flu and everything is fine. They did bloodwork, an X-ray, and a urinalysis all came back fine. He acts fine during the day, but at night he wakes up with stomach pains at least 2-3 times and says his tummy hurts. I just don't understand why he seems fine during the day, but is up at night screaming. It is like gas pain. He is inconsolable. Gas medicine does not work. PLEASE HELP!
Our family has been struggling with this as well - I think it's a virus.  We all have had stomach pain for a couple of weeks, and my almost 2-year-old daughter has had a 5-day bout of diarrhea as well.  It almost seems like lactose intolerance - I'm going to try cutting out dairy for my 2-year-old and see if that helps, but it's hard because she's really into cheese, milk, and ice cream.  Putting a heating pad on her tummy or rubbing it provides temporary relief.  We definitely feel better if we stick with the BRAT diet.  If this is a virus, it's a bad one.
my 3yr old is having these issues. It started with a virus with inside both ears being red and swollen and blisters in the back of the throat and the most conserning lumps on the neck (lymph nodes). the doc didn't perscribe anything. the lumps went down slowly and the blisters went away but the ears did't clear up but a common cold followed then a cough now back to the docs for antibiotics the cold is gone but a week later this stomach flu started he was throwing up every half hour now matter what we gave him (poor thing). after one day the throwing up was only after he ate but the potty was full of gas and very watery or soft. then once or twice a day for the next couple days its been 8 days now hes not throwing up anymore but he almost refuses to go to the bathroom he goes around the house with stomach pains until we force him on the toilet then he passes the gas and stooll and feels much better. the difference in attitude before and after the bathroom trip is night and day. i have been giving the gas med. when he complains of stomach ache.
I have 4 children and have had all the symptoms you all have had with your children in the past. Finally I went to a DR. and he nailed it!
After the summer months and all the time of children drinking juices. The intestines need to be cleaned as the bacteria growth from all the juices invade...! He told me to have them start on a culturelle (pill) or activia a day for the little ones! Within a week I had happy-no-hurting-stomaches!! Keep up for about two weeks cut the juices in half with water or altogether (I give flavored water or the carb. flav water with half water to cut down carbonation.) You will see a huge difference...Hope this helps..
I have a similar problem..My 3 year old has had problems for a while. When she was born all she would do is cry.We tryed everything. They finally sent her to a gastro. doc and they tested her for reflux which came out positive. Well, they put her on prevacid, it helped with the throw up, but not the crying. As she has gotten older she has complained about stomach aches off and on ever since I can remember, but I just kind of played it off as all toddlers have stomach aches. But here in the last months or so it has gotten to the point to where she is constantly in pain. It is interfering with her playtime, naptime and everything else. She has a problem walking any distances without having to stop bc of the pain. She does have a lot of bms about 6 to 7 a day and they are greenish. I am currently waiting on test results from a stool sample and blood work. BUt I am wondering if anyone has any ideas, bc I am out of them.
Maybe she needs to go back on the medicine.  My litlte boy is 4 and he has had 4 hosptalizations from dehydration from vommiting.  He has the acid reflux and has to take Prilosec daily.  It helps, but he can't drink Orange Juice, eat too much cheese or even eat Oreos.   Maybe write down what she eats so that you know what hurts her tummy.  
Celiacs disease is more common than people realize. Trying out the GFCF diet certainly can't hurt and is worth a try to see if that could alleviate or eliminate symptoms your child is having. This is just one idea.
Hello
My son (7) has always had tummy issues since birth, he was so constipated that he would drink 2 - 8oz. bottles of prune juice a day and then have mineral oil on his toast. Later on about 4 years of age a DR told us that he had a condition where there was air on his stomach and that he needed to walk after dinner to pass gas. He explained that he was swallowing to much air when eating and talking, My son heard all of this and was cautious about eating to fast.He seemed to do a bit better and then the tummy aches started, it almost always felt better after he pooped but before and during he would cry and scream. He also went about 4 - 5 times a day. Recently he doubled over in pain and we ended up rushing him to the ER- we had a great DR that took an actual history and he said that with his past and his bm's he diagnosed him with IBS - irritable bowel syndrome - it is a functional disorder meaning that it can't be fixed and that his large intestines either squeeze the food to fast or not enough and it causes a lot of pain. In my research I found that on average a child with IBS has  the equivelant of 12 weeks a year of tummy aches, Peppermint oil rubbed on the bottom of their feet, or even sucking on a candy cane can sometimes help. Peppermint tea is also good, The Dr also suggested rolling on his tummy two times a day 10x each on an excerises ball. The counter pressure actually helps. He also takes a prebiotic now and we try to avoid a lot of dairy as sometimes it can make it worse. Just a different view ;)
My little girl now three has been complaining with a belly ache since about age one she sometimes throws up with it, but last sept she got so sick and had a seizure and stopped breathing, I was scared to death but she ended up in hospital for a wk and all they found was she was very constipated! She still complains everyday with her belly, have no clue what to do?
I know it has been over two years ago since your post, but I am curious as to what has happened to your son as my 3-year old has the exact symptoms.  The pain is just at night, but it is excruciating and then he seems fine the next day.  We've been to the pediatrician twice and have done the x-ray, blood test, and urine test.  All came back normal.  I'm beginning to wonder if it is related to a food allergy.  This has only been going on for about 5 nights, but I can't imagine it going on much longer as it has been aweful for him.  I don't know what avenue to go down next.  Specialist vs. going back to pediatrician.  The pediatrician just keeps telling me to watch it for a few days and come back it if doesn't get any better.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi I am wondering about your son, have they found anything? My 3 yo daughter started with the stomach aches a month ago and I have had every test with negative results. She had no other symptoms but stomach pain. I did not want to put her through an endoscopy though. I will try cutting out juice altogether even though I have cut it in half with water already. Also, the culturelle/activia although I already give her papaya, ginger and acidophilus with no help. Does he have slightly greenish stools? My ped. says 3 years old is when they first start showing signs of allergies, not before. So maybe she is allergic to something, even though I keep a food diary for 2 weeks with no pattern. maybe it is gluten. I will try that next. let me know what you have found. thanks so much, good luck and blessings.
I have a 3yr old son who has been dealing with this stomach pain since birth. It is very strange because it only seems to bother him at night. He wakes up screaming multiple times throughout the night. It seams like he is having extreme gas pains, but he is unable to explain to me what exactly it is. Partly because he's simply too young and also because he is so upset and tired. All he wants to do is sleep but he keeps waking up with this excruciating pains. He does also vomit more than a normal child. This happens randomly. He can be completely fine, then just all of a sudden he will vomit, then go about his business. I have tried specialists, blood tests, stool samples, etc. If anyone has had any luck with a diagnosis or has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated!  
My 2 yr old daughter recently got very sick. It seemed like a stomach flu, she was throwing up, complaining of severe stomach aches with a slight fever. After a week of not getting better I took her to the doctors and discovered she had a bladder infection. Apparently young children will get a stomach ache, diarrhea and refusing to use the toilet or go in their diaper, and sometimes have a fever.
My son is 3 yrs old. He also has been having stomach pains and points to his belly button. The pains come random through out the day. This is the second week of diarrhea. It been in many colors and if he has eaten or not. I know he isn't constipated, that is only if he has stool that is hard and is difficult to pass. He does drink plenty of fluids and is very active. Im concerned just because its all day long that he does have diarrhea. He once and a while will pass soft stool, but then just goes back. The color has been green to dark brown he often strains when he is going. I have taken him to the doctor and they say he has stomache flu. But he has no fevers, chills or body aches.  Im worried for him. He's starting to get tired of running to the rest room several times a day and when he just feels gas because he's worried he may have an accident. Does anyone know anything??
It does sound like a stomach flu and the stomach flu doesn't necesaarily come with a fever, that's what my doc said. Maybe take him to another doctor?  
Is he eating a new food?  
I have had these same problems with my 2 year old daughter for about 2 weeks pain that comes and goes and greenish loose stole i took her to er because she was in so much pain they did blood work and a urine sample they came back ok but they are now doing a ultra sound because the dr said it could be something thats going on with her intestines that is common in toodlers per Childrens Hospital.. Im not sure this with help anyone but thought id let you all know
My oldest son now 21 has been through a lot of what I'm seeing posted.  He had the pain and green bowel movements. Constant vomiting and just very uncomfortable.  At age 12 he was unable to walk most of the year. He had endoscopies, colonoscopies and a few upper GI's.  After numerous meds for Acid Reflux, but still had extreme pain and vomiting, I was fed up. I called Duke University Hospital in Riley, NC and made an appointment.  They were great.  They discovered that he had Enlarged Bowel Syndrome, where he would poop, but never completely empty his intestines.  Over time the remaining poop backed up into his intestines (way up) and caused great pain.  The gastroenterologist here in SC had never come up with this even when he was seen three to four times in a week for pain and dehydration.  I hope this helps.  
My son is 3 yrs old + and he always complaining of abdominal pain during night time . Even after fall asleep , 3 to 4 hrs later he will wake up and complain of the pain. Is it really due to stress? What should i do?
It so crazy to hear other parents have the same problem  as i. My 2 yr old son has had stomack psin at night since birth. I complain to the docs all the time that they proable think im a crazy over concerned mom. Lol i was told my son had acid reflex meds didnt help so i switched his milk a few times and cut out dairy and use soy milk. Then the doc said it must be lactose intolerent. But i always read toddlers dont ussually develope until 3yrs old? The pain got alittle better but at night it sounds like hes got A bunch of water and gas in his stomack then he wakes up with diareah. I wS told if ur kid has ever gotten diarreah (diarrhea) from antibiotics which my son has he would need probiotics to fight a lingering infection in his bowels. Im not sure if this helps anyonebut i could really use advice also lately my son has been having green poop. Note my doc said when theirs stomack pains its ussually associated with gas so i rub my sons stomack in circlier motion under his belly button and under his right rib where his intestines r znd he ussually relieves gas also having ur child lay on their back and pedal their feet like riding a bike does wonders to relieve gas u will be amazed. Good luck parents
what did you ever end up finding out. I am goign through the same thing with my daughter. She complains of the headaches also above her left and right eye (near her temples)
Hey you guys you need to consider celiac disease-- I am being tested myself but my kids have it in their Dad's side and my best friend has it so I know a bit about it....I am now concerned for my littl one(s) and have been reaidng up on it alot.   The bad Gas at night (in toddler) is what brought me to thsi site/ forum here w/ you guys but I hear that tests arent always accurate , ESPECIALLy in younger than about 3? So a negative doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it later on, AND also, "Abdominal PAIN" , "GAS" "BLOATING", sometime s nausea, vomiting and sometimes (though not ALWAYS, diarrhea, AND/ OR constipation, and pale, foul smealling stools, as in, I think they describe these as 'gray' but I have heard peple say them as 'green' and along with this is 'bulky' stools or that contain fat AND ALONG WITH ALL THAT A TODDLER WILL likely be tired , fatigued, Irritable /cranky overly sensitive, AND ANEMIA is very common, as in plae, tored..so I will also say this to the person who's child is pale. just wanted you all to know. Good luck w/ everything.
Sorry got a little confused there thought I was posting to people who said pain and green stools, and was meaning to get back to yours because was concerned for your little one being pale, didnt realize I was actually posting to that post right now. Also, seem to have sent it twice, again, sorry. Feel free to delete comments. Sleep deprived over here, and hard time concentrating, Anyway I wish you the best of luck and hope you have found some answers and hope everyone on here will consider celiac or other conditions and push for testing if they arent getting relief, / concerned for their child or jsut feel bad for them, and to push even if doctors dismiss it. Best of luck :)
My son is 6 and he had this stomach problem for years now. The worrying thing is the doctors can't see anything wrong.they ran all the tests and even had an x-ray but nothing came up . For the past month he's complaining everyday and he will be in inscrutiating pain.His stool is normal no signs of constipation.i just give him paracetamol when the pain comes but it just helps for a few hours .Can anyone please help me??
I have started my 2 year old son on a daily probiotic.  So many doctors don't stop to think about the fact that antibiotics and so many of the foods we eat today destroy all of the good bacteria in our stomachs.  He has stopped waking up complaining about his stomach hurting which is a relief.  I strongly recommend trying this due to the fact that no matter what the issue probiotics can only help and may even take care of the problem.