Maternal & Child Community
Cleaning the Litter Box while pregnant
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cleaning the Litter Box while pregnant

I know that everyone tells you not to do this. But what do people do that have cats and no one else to clean the box? Is there anything you can do to prevent toxoplasmosis like wear gloves etc?
I just don't know what to do. I have 4 cats and one very ill cat and I'm the only one that can care for him and I am 4 weeks pg now.
Related Discussions
16 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
have your doctor do a blood test to see if you've had toxoplasmosis. mine did it as soon as he found out i have cats. i have not had it, so he told me not to change the litter. i suppose in the mean time, buy some latex gloves and a breathing mask. i read that the disease can be contracted by touching or inhaling the germs (which can be carried in the dust stirred up when you scoop). and of course, despite wearing gloves, carefully wash your hands.
Blank
I was just doing a bunch of research online and it says if you have always cleaned the boxes there is a chance I may already have it and don't have to worry. Would my obgyn be able to do do this blood test or does anyone know if I have to call my family doc?

I'm afraid if DH has to start cleaning the boxes with my sick kitty down there we may end up divorced cuz he FREAKS out about the mess. (kidding kinda lol)
Blank
179055_tn?1189759429
Yikes!  Well hubby needs to get in there!!!  He can handle it for the next 9 months!
Blank
182767_tn?1317495837
Hi, My cat has had only one person cleanig her litter box for 14 years (I got her right after I graduated from college) I am 14 weeks pregnant and My husband is a doctor and he says the chances are slim to get any diseases from the litter box. Especially if it is an indoor cat like mine. But hey I am still a believer in why take chances, so with a little training on my part teaching DH how much litter my spoiled little cat likes, he is now a pro...Hey any excuse to let him take on some of my chores!!

Good Luck
Blank
182767_tn?1317495837
Hi, My cat has had only one person cleanig her litter box for 14 years (I got her right after I graduated from college) I am 14 weeks pregnant and My husband is a doctor and he says the chances are slim to get any diseases from the litter box. Especially if it is an indoor cat like mine. But hey I am still a believer in why take chances, so with a little training on my part teaching DH how much litter my spoiled little cat likes, he is now a pro...Hey any excuse to let him take on some of my chores!!

Good Luck
Blank
For fear of not giving too much info and grossing you all out.
I have a cat that has irritable bowel syndrome and he poops are basically like water several times daily. He poops outside the box etc...it's just sooo much cleaning. DH DOES NOT have the patience to care for him even though he loves our animals. I am the only one that can do it in his condition. If it were a matter of just scooping a normal box DH is happy to do it.

I'm gonna call doc in the morning and get in for a test. Hopefully I will just test positive and be all set. I have 4 cats and have always been the one to clean the boxes so maybe my chances are good that I've already been exposed.
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
I've been changing the litter boxes, because I assumed since I have had cats all my life and been the main litter box cleaner that I have had it. I am nearly 13 weeks pregnant, but I haven't been tested for it. Maybe I should. I'll ask my doctor!
Blank
134578_tn?1383690151
The other thing to keep in mind is that toxoplasmosis titers (the way they test to see if you have been exposed to toxoplasmosis) are sometimes unreliable, saying you haven't been exposed when you actually have.  I have had cats all my life, and came up negative on my toxoplasmosis test, but I will bet you that I have had toxoplasmosis sometime in my life.  Use gloves and a mask, and you should be fine.  Gardening without gloves is more dangerous than catboxes.  

ps -- Toxoplasmosis takes three days to "ripen" in a catbox.  If you are really the only person to clean a box, start with a clean box (bleach the old one or buy a new one) and then clean it every day.  The virus won't grow there if it doesn't have three days to hang around.
Blank
I think we both should. I spoke to my vet about it this afternoon and he said to just ask the doc to do a blood test and if you test positive there is no need to worry. He also said if you absolutely HAVE to clean the box to always wear gloves and even a dust mask is good. Then to wash hands right away with anti bacterial soap.
Blank
178239_tn?1277409091
You can also get it from gardening, digging in soil.
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
I know how your poor cat feels, I also have ibs.  Every other pregnant women is constipated, not me, lots of trips to the bathroom.  (TMI I know)

I would make hibby clean it.  
Blank
159354_tn?1286371288
If your cats do not go outdoors you should be fine.

The cats pick up the virus from mice and such.  It's in the feces....therefore...gardening is dangerous too b/c cats like to go there.

The virus can only last in the cats system for 2 weeks....however if your cat is always out and about...someone else should clean the box.
Blank
You can get tested for the Toxoplasmosis antibody.

Here in Germany it is a standard pre-natal test. I got tested and do NOT have the antibody and therefore have to worry about it.  But if you get tested and DO have it, then you could clean away without worrying.  Many people with cats have developed the antibody already, from what I understand.  
Blank
my name is crystal i have 3 cats all indoor babys and i am 11 weeks pg now i do not clean my litter boxs the father of the baby does cause i asked him too he is great. i have not been tested for anything but i like to think of it as better safe than sorry and not bother it at all
Blank
As a method to avoid cleaning the litter box entirely, there are several fully automatic litter boxes available.  One, called the Cat Genie connects to your plumbing and you literally do not have to touch it again!  

I bought one when my wife became pregnant and I have nothing but good things to say about it.  

A review with some pictures etc is here: http://www.liveautomatic.com/reviews/34-home-item-reviews/44-automatic-litter-boxes-review

Cheers.
Blank
513504_tn?1214175594
i have three cats myself. one for over 12yrs now. and im finding it extremly dif to cope being 5months preggie and swamped with cat hair and pee. i keep telling my husband to get rid of atleast two. but hes a cat lover. tho i love my cats i love my baby more. and  im trying to give two away now one male kitten fixed and shots and one expensive black female only two years shots and fixed both lovely house cats. but still smelly and shedding hair all and i MEAN ALLLLL over the place the last straw was when i went to my babys new clothes and found them covered in cat despite being hun in closet. im really upset about this.  i decided  ive taken to much risk so far and they must go!  gloves etc are fine but when you got three cats running around smelling up the place and shedding everywhere its time for action..
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...