Clogged milk duct, not-pregnant
Hello

I have what has been diagnosed as a clogged milk duct. I had my daughter in 2006... and i did breast feed/pump with he for about 5 weeksr. I had no pain, no problems until she was 3 yrs old., One day my breat was sore. It was reddish in an area about 2inX1in. I had a mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy done on the area. They did find a mass but it was non-cancerous. The surgeon that I was referred to put me on antibiotics (I had and still do have a greenish discharge and sometimes a white cottage cheese discharge  from the nipple). I tried 4 different attempts with antibiotics to clear it up and it never worked. The surgeon basically told me that it is something I will have to live with? I sought a 2nd opinion and he told me that he agreed with the findings of the ocan be done about original surgeon. However, I do not understand how it is OK that someone would have a green discharge coming from their nipple for 3 years now and nothing can be done about it? Has anyone else had this issue and if so... did it ever clear up or get some kind of treatment that made it go away??? Sooooo tired of living with this problem.
Hi!
Well, since this has been persisting for three years, you can rule out the following possibilities for white discharge. A whitish discharge can be due to overstimulation as in fondling, suckling and lactation and irritation by clothes. It can also be due to increased prolactin. PCOD is another possibility.
A greenish discharge can be due to infection. Hence a culture sensitivity analysis of the discharge should be done. Take care!
I have had this problem for years now.  My youngest is 19 this month. They have cultured the greenish fluid many time and has never shown an infection.  My last bout with a clogged milk duct was March 2012 and when I finally got the duct to open I expressed an amt. the size of a green pea.  It was very painful and I have been told as you have been there is nothing they can do about it or nothing to worry about as there has never been an infection. Over the years I have tried to be mindful of the condition and try to remember to try to express the white fluid monthly when I do my self breast exam in the shower each month.  BTW I am 51 this year and the condition has been reoccurring since my first child was born in 1983.  I would suggest trying each month to remember to try and express anything that might be in the milk duct.  I hope you dont have to put up with it as long as I have but as for me it is just a part of life.
Hi....everyone I need some piece of mind .....I have been on the depo shot for about 2 years now and for about 2 mouths now I've had milk in my right breast and that's the only one and it has been sore and uncomfortable and now there is like a hard like place in it and it about a inch or so big and it feel like to goes to my nipple....someone give me some peace of mind.....thanks