Maternal & Child Community
Colic at 4 months, suggestions?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Colic at 4 months, suggestions?

My son is four months and starts screaming around 9 o'clock every night and doesn't stop until he gets into a deep sleep. This usually lasts 2 hours. The only thing that temporarily calms him is being nursed.  I nurse him to sleep.  Once a sleep he's calm until he gets up the next morning.  He is exclusively breastfed, and is never fed by a bottle.  I have tried bathing and massaging him before bed.  I have made sure things are calm before putting him to bed.  I burp him, change his diaper and put a little diaper balm on his bottom.  This pattern of screaming has gone on from week 2 and we are in week 17.  I am still patient and calm about this situation.  But I know we'd all be happier if we could find a solution.    All the doctor could tell me was that he has colic.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  
Tags: colic, sleep
I don't know if your comfortable with over the counter medicine but with one of my children I used the gas x for kids. I would give him a couple drops before bed right after a bottle along with doing all the things you are already doing and that seemed to really help him. He's 18 now so I guess I didn't do any harm. LOL

I hope this helps...and good luck.
My daughter also had colic that has gotten better. She is now four months old. She used to fuss almost all day and then scream from 6-9pm every night. Just in the last few weeks I have been able to get her to sleep earlier. For example two weeks ago she would cry from 6-8p then with nursing and walking around, I could get her to sleep at 8. Then she started being able to be soothed to sleep at 7 and this last week 6pm. She is also starting to sleep more during the day and is all around a happier baby (still hates to be put down,but smiles when held). I am not sure if all this rambling will help you. But my point is hopefully it will get better soon and maybe try soothing him to sleep earlier to avoid the inevietable "fuss time" as we call it. We now start getting Maddie ready for bed about 530p. If she stays up too late, all she does is cry!!! Sounds crazy early, but it is working good for us right now. You sound like you are coping well! Hope things get better for you soon!
My son is now 5 years old.  I have watched many children since I had him and he was by far the hardest baby I've ever met.  He was miserable and cried constantly like he was in pain.  I noticed this even in the hospital before we made it home.  I also breastfead.  When he was born he had colic and gastric reflux.  I tried the mylicon drops and the gas x and he was still miserable.  They ended up putting him on zantac.  It tasted nasty and I knew he didn't like it, but it did help him.  Also even when he was just a few weeks old he always felt better in the up right position after eating.  And I know your suppost to put them on their back to sleep, but Jack always felt better on his side or his tummy.  I discused it with my doctors and they agreed if it helped him and I made sure he was on a firm mattress without stuffed toys, pillows, and blankets that he should be fine.  If your going to do that I do reccomend a sleep sac instead of blankets.  And I'm a co-sleeper, I had a little bed that attached to mine so he still had his space, but he was close enough that I could keep my eye on him.  You worrie about them until they get here and then you have to deal with the "is the baby still breathing issue".  But thats what worked for us, I hope this helps.  The co-sleeper I use was at www.armsreach.com it was a great option for us.  
I used infant probiotics when my son moved on to a different formula that I wasn't sure he would deal well with.  The kind I got was called Flora Baby, but you can use other kinds too.  
My baby started having colicky episodes at 2 weeks. I asked my pediatrician to prescribe Levsin but he said they arent recommending that anymore. He said to get something called gripe water at an herbal store. When I went there the herb lady recommened something she thought was better---a mixture of catnip and fennel.I give him 1/8 of a teaspoon mixed with 1/8 teaspoon water. It calms him and takes away the stomach pain within 10 minutes.
Hope it works for you too!
Thanks for your suggestions.  I am using a folk remedy right now for ten days to see if it helps.  I'm drinking chamomile tea and then nursing him to sleep.  The chamomile tea is supposed to be given to him directly, but he hates bottles and so they make him even more frantic.  In the meantime, I attempt to give him bottles on a regular basis.  I know that once he is better about taking bottles finding a solution will be easier.  
Colic is awful, I have 2 babies that were colicky, the first one from the first night home, the second one kicked in right at 2 weeks old.  They would scream and cry most of the night, it would begin around 8 pm with Cam, just like clockwork, around the same time for Cars too.  Nothing helped, by 5 am I would be a mess, they both outgrew it, Carson was well into the 4th month when it began to fade, Cam was doing better a little into the 3rd month.  It will soon go away with true colic.  I found that I would have to hold them and shushing loudly helped some, as did holding them on their sides, and white noise when it got really bad.  Other than that, if baby has been checked out and is just crying following the night pattern, not too much to do.  They do carry gripe water at Walgreens too, just saw it there the other day.  I never tried it as my boys had so many other issues I didn't want to add another thing in case it upset them more.I hope it passes soon, hang in there and good luck with the tea.