Maternal & Child Community
Colposcopy during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Colposcopy during pregnancy

Okay ladies, I made a similar post the other day, but today is the day I have my doc appt to have a colposcopy. I am 11 wks, 4 days today. Has anyone had a colposcopy during pregnancy? How far along? How did it feel? I am just scared and I'm not sure I want to go through with this. My doctor is very demanding and insists I have it done. She ensures that it won't hurt the pregnancy and that she won't do a biopsy. I have HPV and it has gotten worse with pregnancy, which she says is not uncommon because of the change in your immune system during pregnancy. Anyhow, I am not feeling real comfortable with this but I feel like she is pushing me to do it and wants me to feel like I am an idiot if I don't want to take care of this. From everything I've read, HPV rarely turns to cancer. With 6 months left, I doubt if it will cause any serious problems if I just leave it alone until after baby is born. I have one or more of the high risk strains. For those of you that don't know about HPV, the high risk strains that are associated with the cervical cancer risk. The low risk strains are the ones associated with genital warts, which I do not have-THANK GOD! Anyhow, any experience or knowledge with this is much appreciated!! Thanks!!
Hi.. I wrote to you the other day. I had one at around 16 weeks and it was very uncomfortable.  I also said that if I knew better, i wouldnt have done it.  The thing about your situation is that you know you have HPV and you say it's getting worse. They still dont know if I have it or not which is annoying because we did the test for nothing.  BUT since you know and you know it's getting worse, then maybe it's the best thing to for you.  I can answer any questions you have. But I just wanted to tell you that maybe you should think about it if you know you are getting worse.  My situation was different then yours.
As I stated in your last post...I had one done at about 10-12 weeks as well...maybe later (sorry don't remember it was 2 yrs ago)....I didn't have any problems at all.

The colpo is just a microscope for clearer view...they don't take anything from the cervix....now others here...said they were in pain....I don't know how the microscope causes pain but everyone's body is different....maybe it was the tools used to get inside.

With that said...nothing was done or would have been done until my baby was born even if they found that it was turning cancerous.  I too was diagnosed at 9 weeks pregnant with high risk HPV....after just 5 months earlier...a clear pap....

Look, if you are not worried about cancer (you obviously know the facts about HPV and where and how it could lead there)and if you would not go for treatment during your pregnancy if GOD forbid it was low grade cancerous cells....then don't do it.  I don't know why I did...I was so scared about the big C word but in hindsight even if mine was full blown cancer....I would not have done anything until my little girl was born...she was my priority....but I was so scared that I wouldn't be around for her if I let it go...so that fear made me do it.

It was fine for me but I've heard more often than not women say it was bothersome and down right painful.

I'm praying for you....it's your call....you need to make the decision that is right for you....Also my dh would not let me waive the procedure...he was scared of losing me too and insisted I get it done...

prayers and blessing....good luck
Also, for me it was VERY uncomfortable but for some women on this site (I also posted about it when it was happening to me) said it wasn't any different then a pap smear.  It's just the speculum is wider which is what made it uncomfortable to me.  But some women on this site told me it was fine with them.  It only takes about 5 minutes and they may take what looks like a long qtip soaked in a vinigar solution to clear out and discharge on your cervix in order for them to get a better look.  But that's all.  The only think that I would like you to keep in mind is, that I did get cramping afterwords and I hated it.  I went home right away and put my feet up.  But nothing happened it just made me feel better.  
Thank you to both of you for commenting again. I know I am beating this over the head probably more than needs to be, but I am just freaked out about what the right thing is to do. I don't really understand why my doc is so adamant about me having it done if they won't really do anything anyhow. It doesn't make sense. I guess what I'll do is go and make sure I ask LOTS of questions and get clear answers! It's my body and it's my baby that is most important to me right now. I will let you know how it goes and the outcome. Thanks for the prayers!
good luck to you....i just pray that this colpo shows that it isn't really getting worse....i know your baby is a priority and with that said....you need to make sure your body is a priority b/c you owe it to your baby to be the healthiest you can be...

i pray that this does not make you uncomfortable or puts you in pain.

for me it was a breeze and i have extreme problems with paps...so i hope and pray the same for you.
Good luck and yes ask lots of questions. Remember, no matter how much she wants you to do it, it is your choice.  No one elses. Good luck and let us know.  
Even though you probably left, I still want you to think positively.  Just because you went up a stage doesn't mean it's cancer (I believe there are 5 stages before it's cancer).  Chances are, you are one of the low stages.  Sounds like you pap regularly which is awesome, so it's unlikely you would ever get to the cancer stage.  I'm so proud of you for taking the hard steps - it's so scary, but the outcome is almost certainly not cancer.  I will be thinking of you and am anxious to hear from you tomorrow.  Take care.
I think she had an early pap done...I know my drs gave me one at like 9 weeks....even tho I had a normal pap done 5 months earlier....but I am glad they did b/c it did show mild dysplasia from HPV for me...

I was shocked..
Well, I had an abnormal pap in April. I was shocked when they found the HPV and that it was the high risk strain(s). So they did a colposcopy and found a spot that was of concern, so biopsied it and it came back fine. So then on November 30th I went back in for my 6 month pap and I was never contacted again. But last Friday, 1/26, the doctor I saw at my OB appt said that she didn't know why they didn't contact me because I had a second abnormal pap! So she did a pap again on Friday and found it had gotten a stage worse, whatever that means. So that's why the appt today, to see how bad it is. Kind of scary...
Gosh, I hope I didn't miss you!  I am sure I did, though, if you went.  I was in a meeting.  Ugh!  Anyway, I totally understand.  I had an abnormal about 6 years ago and had the colposcopy (but not while pregnant).  It didn't hurt then, but I could see why it may be uncomfortable now.  BUT, PLEASE do it.  Cervical cancer is the risk to you if let go long enough; the risk to the fetus is almost nonexistent!  The answer is clear to me - take care of yourself, so you can be here to take care of your little one.  I know it's hard to not worry, but really, they apparently do these things a lot with pg women, and they know how to do it.  If it's a little discomfort and virtually no risk to the little one, do it for you.  Good luck and please let us know how you are!!
You caught me before I left (: Thank you so much!! I will know more once the results come back. I am praying they find nothing. I was doing more reading and it said that even if they do find cancer (GOD FORBID!) they will tell you it's best to terminate the pregnancy if you're in the first trimester, but in the second and third they will just let you go until they know the baby will survive outside of the womb, then do a C-section and hysterectomy. I can handle that if that's what I have to do. I don't plan on having any more children, anyhow. It is a scary thought though and something I wish I didn't have to worry about right now!! I will update tomorrow or when I know more. Leaving now!!
Hello - a quick question - how do you know it's gotten worse?  Did you do a pap in early preg or just before and your results were worse than the last one you did?
i just had colposcopy done about 2 weeks ago...they did a biopsy and even another test where they go inside the cervix with a long stick to collect samples..... now i think i might be pregnant im not sure yet  but  i m scared thinking that could cause some damage to the baby ( if pregnant)...im supposed to go for a cone biopsy next month. i have hpv and they are saying they are pre cancerous cells that was found ....what do you think?....im confused
hello i'm 11weeks pregnant i found out i had hpv 6yrs ago with my youngest son all my paps came back abnormal they never had me do a colpo before but this time when i went in for my pap they called me a couple days later said that they found a leasion and wanted me to schedule for a colpo i was suppose to go in today for it but they called me this morning and told me they were going to have to reschedule since i'm in my first trimester and they don't like doing the procedures until you are in the safe zone they don't want me to miscarry so i have to wait till april 19th for this to get done i'm really scared reading peoples post i know the doc's wouldn't have me do this if it wasn't safe but at the same time why not wait tell after the baby