Maternal & Child Community
Confused about labor plans :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Confused about labor plans :(

Okay. So I've been reading other peoples' posts on here about which drugs to use during labor. Here is my situation. I am 36 weeks pregnant, and just want to be ready for that time. (This is my first) I am not a drug fan, whatsoever, so this has been a hard decision for me. I want to have as natural as a birth as possible, but I have no idea how I'm going to handle the pain. I don't want my movements restricted and I don't want to be "out of it" ... The narcotic stuff scares me, I don't want to be sick, dizzy, or risk hurting my baby. I don't want a full epidural because I want to be able to move and feel what is going on. I don't want to be numb, just have the option to take the edge off with the pain. Can anyone help...? I don't know which option is best for me....?
Hi!
It is best to avoid drugs during labor. Most drugs which reduce the pain also affect the baby. So an epidural is usually the safest option. The best option is to join child-birth classes.  There you will learn exercises, relaxation techniques, positions, and ways to minimize your perception of pain. Though you do not have much time, you can still explore this option. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!