Maternal & Child Community
Constant BH Contractions - 40 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Constant BH Contractions - 40 weeks

I was due yesterday, and until this morning I had not experienced a real contraction.  For 1.5 hours they were sporadic and amounted to nothing, though I have started to lose my mucous plug, which from what I understand, means little to nothing in regards to the beginning of labor.  Anyway, after the real contractions faded off, I began to have BH contractions.  I had a BioPhysical Profile this morning, so I know my little one is healthy, but should I be concered with the constant contractions?  For the two hours that I was in the hosptial having the BPP done, I was not having contractions, but when I left they began again, the BH contractions, and have continued every six or seven minutes for two hours now.  Is this worth a call to my doctor or should I just hold out and see if anything comes of them?  I have been resting all day behind my desk and have gotten through two 20oz bottles of water.  

Thanks in advance.  
Looks like they want me to hold off on going to the hospital.  The nurse seems to think they are BH contractions, but wants me to go home and lay on my left side to see if they continue.  If they do, I'm to go in.

Thanks for the replies!
If you're getting contractions every 6-7 minutes, and they have not subsided with drinking water and changing your activity, then you're probably in labor right now.  

I had about 4 hours of painless contractions about 7-8 minutes apart at the beginning of labor with DS.  Those painless contractions dilated me from 2 cm to about 3-4 cm and then I started feeling painful ones.
I've been a fingertip dilated for a month, so I guess I didn't even consider that it could be real labor.  I'll be putting in a call to the doc to get his opinion.  

Thanks for your quick response.      
No problem.  

You should definitely call someone, if not go straight to the hospital, especially if this is not your first baby.
Don't trust nurses or receptionists. I've found that they're too used to treating people like insurance records.
Insist on being checked out. Anyways, even if you aren't full term, more than four or six BH contractions in an hour is something to take seriously. And I've read birth stories of women who never did feel contractions the way they're described as starting from the top.
Give me a break! You are 40 weeks pregnant! They should of at least checked your cervix. I was 3CM at 37weeks and didnt even know it. I actually have a friend who kept getting sent home, and she wound up having her baby on her front lawn. A firefighter delivered the baby. Not what she planned Im sure.
You are probably in the first stages of labor (which can go on and on for a while or you can be dialating without you even knowing it!). I had that with one of my children... then it stopped, then it started again...days later they finally broke my water...But with another child, I had that, then my water broke and I was in active labor almost instantly! It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out, they can do a non-stress test and check everything for you and let you know if you have dialated at all...
So... where you in labor?!  Waiting on edge to find out if you got to welcome your baby!  
Thanks for all the replies, but sadly, I am still pregnant.  Right before I left work, 45 minutes after I called the doctor, the contractions died.  He has been active as ever, so I assume the contractions haven't phased him.  Yesterday was not my day, but if the little guy hasn't arrived by the 19th, I'll be induced.  

Thanks again!    
Oh, mine did the same thing.  I contracted like that from 36 weeks on and was still going strong more than a week over-due when I went in to be induced.  They figure my body just kept shutting down labor.  I was even contracting every 6 to 7 minutes when they began my induction and had been dialated to a 2 from 37 weeks on till the second day of my induction.  Some babies are stubborn.  Hopefully you go in on your own, but won't be long now either way, good luck and congrats.  Just keep an eye on them and call your Dr. if you have any concerns.