Maternal & Child Community
Constipation and Miralax in 2 y/o

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Constipation and Miralax in 2 y/o

My 2 y/o has had constipation on and off since he was 16 months old.  Never a problem before that.  I have been giving him miralax (with Dr approval) since August thinking that would help and never thinking we would still be using it.  Even with the miralax he is still constipated - like larger BM's than a constipated ADULT would have.  He cries and screams and runs around and tries to hold it because he knows it will hurt.  I am at the end of my rope and don't know what else to do.  I cannot MAKE him drink more fluids.  He doesn't drink ANYTHING but skim milk.  I even tried soy thinking that would help - it didn't.  Being a two year old his diet is so-so meaning one day he will eat great and the next, nothing.  I push fruits and veggies, but like I said he is a normal, picky 2 year old.  Do you think I am to the point that I should take him to a specialist?  Oh, even when he isn't constipated he pushes SO hard and cries and the BM is soft....  Any ideas??
Maybe you could try increasing the Miralax first?  We had my daughter on it and it was sort of 'trial and error' figuring how much she needed.  We went from not enough, to too much, then finally getting it "right".  If increasing it doesn't work, I'd probably see a specialist.   Good luck!
amy0013 - Thanks for your response!  How long has your daughter been on the miralax?  Is it something that your Dr thinks she may always need?  Thanks!
I'd say take him to a gastroenterologist (and in the meantime, keep track of what he eats, as well as his bowel function).
Don't increase the Miralax please!  If you need to know why, check out this site:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Miralax