Maternal & Child Community
Constipation during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Constipation during pregnancy

Sorry if TMI, but has anyone else been very constipated during their pregnancy??  Any recommendations?  Is it safe to take anything during pregnancy to help?
I was wondering the same thing!   sorry too much info but I feel like I have rocks!!   lol
I got this in my email from babycenter.com!  I've been really constipated too, so it's good to know there's a reason!

Why am I so constipated?
Pregnancy hormones
yes i am almost 17 weeks pregnant.  constipation definately kicks in when your intestines become crammed.  Try to eat a lot of fiber or food that have more grams of fiber in it. and more water a day will keep the constipation away!
This happened with all 3 of my pregnancies.  You can safely take Colace.  It is over the counter.  It is not absorbed by your body.  It just draws water into your intestines.  You might also trying walking more if you are able.  Moving around helps your digestion.  I was on bedrest for 12 weeks with my second pregnancy so I had a lot of trouble with constipation!  I hope this helps!
I used to have chronic constipation and this is how I treated it at home.
Kelloggs all bran cereal 2 times a day and gradually drop it to once a day and later you will not need it. Dont take it with milk. I took it with ginger drink which turned out not too bad
Improve your veg. and fruit intake. I am very poor on the the nutritional side and had to rely on kelogg mostly. Busy work schedule.
Most importantly sit on the toilet twice a day even if you dont feel like stooling. Make sure you pass some stool. If you really try and nothing comes dont worry. Just make sure you try. What happens is when the stool stays longer, all the moisture content in there is absorbed back into your body and it simply dries up. And if you have has a child before and constipation for a long time, there are some physiological changes to your large intestine that makes you not to feel the sensation of stooling even if the stool is there. That is what makes people not go to the toilet. You will be suprised that you will pass stool even if the sensation is not there. Gradually the sensation will come back. You have to be really disciplined about passing stool everyday.
Completely cut out dairy until you feel normal. Milk is the culprit in this case and I suffered while I was treating mine because I love milk. When I wanted to cheat, I take the Kelogg with milk. Generally cut dairy until fully ok and gradually introduce them back into your diet. A note of caution though. Even when your system normalises, if you go for a few days without roughage and take a lot of dairy, the constipation is sure to come back. This is from experience.
They say drinking a lot of water helps. But in my case, all the water end up in the urine outlet and hasnt improved my constipation.
Also note that in the beginning you will be passing a lot of gas and feel bloated. As you gradually reduce the kelogg, it will all simply go.
Read a lot about your body and the way the anatomy works. There are lots of information on the net. Helps you understand your body.
I assure you , if my constipation can be treated, yours will be too, as mine was really bad.
I wish you good luck.
my prenatal has taken care of that for me! if i miss a dose 2 days in a row, i become constipated. if i take it, i go at the same time everyday. in fact, weeks back i posted concern because instead of constipation, my stools are generally loose! anyways, i recently found out that my friend (who is 36 wks) has the same exact thing going on. if she misses it, she gets blocked up. we're on the same prenatal- primacare one. it's pricey, but worth it for the comfort (has a stool softener in it). in fact, i just got new prescription insurance that made it nice and cheap for me. my DH (a pharmacist) said there are other prescription prenatals out there with a stool softener in them. ask your dr to try one. or, just go ahead and take a softener.
constipation.... UGH!  my doc told me to take citrucel or metamucil.  a scoop a day in your water will totally help.  I've been doing that for like a month now and have had no probs!
Blessings!
I had previously posted a comment about constipation and I'm very early into my pregnancy 5 wks/2 days.  The constipation started immediately.  I asked a pharmacist on Friday and he said that Metamucil is good for longterm constipation problems during pregnancy, it's harmless to the baby.  I'm taking the falvourless sugar-free kind.  So far so good!
all these responses were helpful.... thanks.  I have an appt this week so I will speak with my doctor about it as well.
I just want to say if you feel worried about your constipation go to your doctor. I was severely constipated with my 3rd baby, I left it thinking once I'd had the baby things would ease, 9 days I couldn't go, then I had a c-section which obviously made it harder for me to go, was absolute agony. I went home but the next day was back in hospital as they had given me codeine for pain relief which makes constipation a thousand times worse. I got home and there are no words to describe the agony I was in.. I couldn't move from the bath, I was having what felt like severe contractions in my backside.I was screaming in absolute pain, it was far worse than having any of my children  have had four so I know what I'm talking about!
Was taken to hospital where they saw my bowel was completely impacted and without bleeding massively I couldn't do anything, They used several enemas and fibregel and pint after pint of water, but I could barely walk or talk with pain, suddenly cramping and contractions would hit and I was stuck crying my eyes out feeling dirty and disgusting.
All I want to suggest is please if you can help it don't take codeine without drinking plenty of water, get to a doctor or hospital before your constipation becomes too bad as it can get worse if not sorted promptly.