Maternal & Child Community
Contractions at 19 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Contractions at 19 weeks

Hello all,
Let me start off by saying that I have 5 kids already.  All full term and all healthy normal births.  I am now 19 weeks and I have had contractions all day yesterday.  They started so suttle to where I was not even sure that was what they were @8am.  By 10am they were getting stronger and taking my breath away.  They were coming almost every 10-15 min. But not regularly.  I immediately called my dr. and she told me to go to the ER.  Got to ER and they would not see me in OB - Observation because I was stil 6 days away from being 20 weeks.  Went back to ER and they told me that if anything happened it is considered as a miscarriage. They can only take blood test and urine sample.  They collected the samples and all tests ran came back fine.  They told me to follow up with my Dr.  Went in to Dr and she only checked baby's heartbeat and said that it's probably b/c of my body being tired from having 5 kids previously and also that maybe sex with my husband may be causing this.  She conducted NO further tests.  Well I went home and started searching on the internet and found this and many other forums.  Others had same problem but their drs ran a pap smear and also checked cervix to make sure that they were not dialated.  Neither of these were done for me.  I am so angry with my dr!!  How could she not at least check to make sure that I am not dialated.  Well now I'm afraid because the baby moved all day yesterday throughout all the contractions but now I have not felt any contractions this am since I woke up but no movement other than what I thought may be a flutter.  From 6am - till presently 1:54pm (Normally my baby kicks and moves very hard and I have no problems feeling him/her.) I am so scared now.  I have tried to call other drs but no one can get me in till monday.  I'm not bleeding but I dont know what to do....any suggestions?

All anyone can do in this situation is to stay off their feet (as much as you can with five kids -- i.e., take it easier than  you had planned to this weekend), and stay well hydrated.  I realize you are angry at the doctor, but a pap smear would have given you no information about the baby, and even if you had had a cervix check, there is little enough they can do to prevent a miscarriage if that were really what was happening.  (In a worst case scenario, if they had checked and found your cervix wide open, all they could do would be to say "prepare for a miscarriage."  There is no medical way to shut it if it is dilated.)  But I don't think contractions, even such noticeable ones, necessarily means a miscarriage is coming.  Women get them a lot during pregnancy.  And after all the action yesterday, your baby might be catching up on his or her sleep.  Anyway, I hope for the best for you.    
Well Thanks for your answer AnnieBrooke!!  I definitely did just what you suggested and I drank water, and more water and just laid down to rest for the entire weekend and the following week too!  As it turns out it was UTI.  Seems that the initial tests that the ER and the Dr. took were coming out negative; but when they sent it off for a culture, they were able to see what it was then.  I'm no longer angry at the Dr. and I'm now past my 20 weeks and since I've been taking the medicine, I have had very few contractions!  YAAAAYYY!!!  Also, I have had my sonogram and my baby boy (we found out at the ultrasound --- dad was so happy to hear another boy!!!) is just fine and very healthy!!  He was moving all along in there!!  I guess I just over-reacted!!  Lol!!