Maternal & Child Community
Contractions..How can I tell if it's a real contraction or just st...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Contractions..How can I tell if it's a real contraction or just strong movement?

I'm 34 weeks and have been having strong contractions all day.. Now they are close together, They feel like contractions and I feel funny when I'm getting them, my whole stomach is hard... Is this just strong movement OR a contraction... It's been 8 years since I've had a child, I know this is silly question, Thanks for answering?
If you are unsure, call your dr. that's what he's there for. He will probably tell you to go to the hospital, and they will hook you up to the machine, monitor you and tell you what's going on. From there you will know if you are staying for a few days or going home. I swore I was going to be sent home, but I wound up staying!!! Good luck!
I definitely get confused about the same thing.  About twice an hour my stomach gets really hard, but when it does there's always a very distinguishable bump that looks like the baby pushing on me, so I can't be sure if it's a contraction or just the baby pushing on me.  but I figure that when i'm having a contraction my uterus gets so tight that I can just make out the outline of the baby.  I'm 37 weeks so I'm already hoping to go into labor, and always looking for signs.  I'd say in your case, they're probably contractions if they're so close together and you should call your dr if they keep going.
If it is real contractions you will have a bloody show also called mucus plug or you are starting to get a little slimy down there sorry for such talk.
You are very informative and I love your answers, Thanks so much for taking the time to do so... God bless :-)
Braxton Hicks do make your stomach hard as a rock, especially near the end of your pg and they may hurt too.  The key is to make sure they're not regular.  

If you are getting 6 or more contractions in 1 hour, then you need to stop what you're doing and pay close attention.  What you should do before calling the doctor, is drink a bunch of water and change your activity (i.e. move around if you've been sitting, or rest if you've been active).  If a change in activity does not change their regularity, then definitely call the doctor!!

Also, there is no guarantee that you'll see your mucus plug if you go into labor.  You may lose it and never even know (in the shower, etc).  I never saw mine with DS, and that's not uncommon.
How are you feeling today??
Braxton Hicks do not start in the back and move toward the front so to speak, and they will usually go asway if you walk or drink fluid.  Also they never get so regular that they are 2 or 3 minutes apart for an hour like real contractions do.  Real labor gets progressively stronger in my experience and after a short while there would be no doubt in your mind.  If you Think? it might be wait and see, if it is YOU WILL KNOW!
Actually I just read JJETYs answer and hers is probably more accurate as far as change in activity.  Go with what she said;)***
I have been getting bh contractions pretty strong with this one.  My belly gets really tight, sometimes I even have to slow down when I'm walking, they start to hurt a little.  Everyone feels contractions differently though.  With my son I had contractions that would get 6 minutes apart and go into my back and around to my belly, I had to walk like a little old lady.  I still did not go into labor for a few weeks after that.  My sil had to have her dh tell her when she was having contractions in labor, and she was even that way with her second baby during her induction.  Just felt nothing, had no clue till the baby was right there crowning.  I would follow the advice above from Jjety, keep an eye on it and keep up the fluids.  If you do start to feel heavy menstrual cramps or feel sick though, I would call your Dr., that's a pretty good sign of early labor.  Good luck, won't be long now!
I also didn't lose my mucus plug until several hours after my water broke and I was in hospital.

Try drinking some extra fluids and lying on your left side and see if that gives you any relief.

Time the contractions and if they are coming at consistent intervals you need to be checked.

It's probably Braxton Hicks, but take care just in case.
ive been having pain it started around my belly button area can someone tell me what it is? and it hurts when i walk...