Maternal & Child Community
Cookies and Milk?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cookies and Milk?

I've been coming to this forum for about 4 months now. Ever since my daughter was born. I have read lots of helpful things. Thnx ladys! I have read a gob of stuff on here about putting cereal in bottles. Now I'm wondering. Could I put crushed cookies in Caroline's bottle? I just feel bad that we are all eating these good Christmas cookies and she can't have any. I though maybe I could food process her milk (she's drinking whole milk now...formula costs WAY too much lol) and the cookies together and then feed it to her in a bottle? What do you think?
How old is your baby? i wouldnt put crushed cookies in a bottle, wow thats a strange question. And if shes drinking whole milk now shes what atleast a yr old, doesnt she have teeth to eat a cookie?
She's 4 months....almost 5. She doesn't have teeth.
******dons protective gear********

No on the cereal, no certainly on the cookies and big fat no on the whole milk. If you cannot afford to feed your baby right, you should not have had a baby. Either buy the baby what she needs or consider finding someone who can.
Well we give her baby food too. My mother in law said that is plenty of good nutrition for him and that whole milk has more nutrition than any formula and definitely more that breastmilk. I didn't even try to nurse because I don't drink milk and thought it'd bad for him.
i'm sorry, but your daughter should not be on whole milk. it's formula or breast milk until a year. is your ped aware? if you have trouble paying for formula you can seek assistance. your baby is not getting the nutrients she needs! this is very serious.

to answer your question- do not put cookies in her milk. she should not be getting cookies in any form. don't feel bad- she doesn't know what she's doing. i feel like you need to be educated on infant nutrition. i will find some links and repost. (no offense intended- i'm just very concerned)
Cookies are a DEFINATE NO!!!! However, Andi, not every one can afford the BEST of everything. I would suggest you go to your local health department and get assistance through a WIC department or food stamps!!! At least until you can afford better.
i meant she doesn't know what she's missing...
My mother in law said that since my huband makes over $11,000 a year we would not be allowed to have assistance. I live in New Mexico. Does anyone know what the level of money you make has to be.
You will qualify for WIC, their guidelines are quite generous.

The BEST of everything? Since when is basic nutrition the "best" of everything. It is a BASIC need.
start here on why cow's milk isn't good for babies..
http://0-www.nlm.nih.gov.sapl.sat.lib.tx.us/medlineplus/ency/article/002448.htm

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solids.htm has charts showing what foods are appropriate for different ages. at 4 months, if your baby started solids, you should be at very basic foods like rice cereal.
Im glad you let me know. Sometimes my mother inlaw thinks she knows everything about everything just because she is a nurse. I will go to wic.
Get educated.....poverty line is 20,444 for two adults and two children (max and caroline) in the United States. From what you said, you are WAY below that! Get some assistance!
Hey now, I was a nurse but I know better than to feed a baby whole milk!
Andi, I understand basic needs, but just because someone is poor doesn't mean they are a bad parent. This woman seems pretty uneducated so I understand you telling her about not having kids unless she can afford it, but that is not your call to make.
She don't work with kids though AndiJ78. She only works with old people. That's probably why she don't know.
One thing I have learned, ignore the advice given by you MIL. My MIL is the same way and just about every stitch of "advice" she has tried to offer has been deemed dangerous by todays standard. They don't knwo any better, but refuse to learn sometimes.

Get to WIC. It won't cover 100% of your needs, but it will help drastically. Nothing but formula or breastmilk until at least 6 mos.
I am frustrated by the number of women having babies who cannot afford insurance, a roof over their heads, heat in their home, or the basic ability to feed their child. Perhaps I should have injected more sunshine into my initial post, but y'all know that I am fresh out.

I stand by it, if you cannot provide for your baby the way it deserves to be provided for, perhaps you should reconsider your position. Every child deserves the best start in life, accounting for their basic needs is paramount. Nutritional needs lay the foundation for their development throughout their life. Feeding a baby whole milk can lead to life threatening anemia and damage developing neuro pathways that can and will affect them the rest of their lives. An excuse like it is too expensive while she types away on her computer with Internet access tells me she can certainly afford some things but her priorities may be a little skewed.
Im glad I came here and asked. Do you think my daughter will be hurt. We have gave her milk for 2 weeks only. She seems like she loves it and it don't make her sick
I don't pay for internet. I go to my neighbor house to babysit there kid and use there computer. my kids are sleeping and the babysitting kid named claire is watching transformers.
If you stop now, get her some formula and feed her only that from now on, she should be fine. Thankfully they have a pretty good iron store in their bodies that get them through the first 6 months of life. Chances are 2 weeks worth of milk will not have done permanent damage.

I misunderstood you, I was under the impression you had been feeding her milk from birth. I understand falling on hard times, but your baby's nutritional needs are far more important than just about anything else. Call tomorrow and see if there are any services open tomorrow (being Christmas Eve it may be tough), sometimes they can grant you an emergency allotment or something to get you through. Also, many pediatrics offices, food banks, possibly even a local church or hospital may have some formula to get you through until you can receive assistance. I am certain there will be some of those places, especially a church, that will be able to help.

Good luck.
You can get store brands of formula(that are much cheaper and just as good) and also can find millions of coupons for free or almost free cans on the internet... I agree- look for local assistance- you should qualify and they will help you until your child is 5 i think.  They will give you help with formula, milk, cereal, juice etc... just a little help that a lot of moms end up needing and will help offset the costs of groceries.   I think one of the major problems with giving an infant milk is that their tummies aren't developed enough to digest it which can make them sick and hurt their nutritional needs.  Make sure your baby's doctor knows that they are on jar food and even mention the formula problem to them- they may have some samples on hand to help you out until you get the assistance that you need.  Good Luck to you and your little one!
Wow, I agree with several of the ladies above. You need to get some sort of assistance. Your baby should not be on whole milk at 4 months old. I get WIC to help with the cost of formula...you should look into it. Its a great program.

Oh and NO NO NO on putting cookies in your baby's milk...seriously some times I wonder if this is even a real post....
Wow, thats a scary question to be asked.  I agree with everyone no to the cereal, no to the baby food, no to anything other then formula or breast milk.  If you can't afford it then you need to look into WIC or Food Stamps.  WIC will provide all the formula for the first year.  I had it with my son and I never had to buy one can of formula.  Please don't add anything to your babies bottle.  It can cause so many problems down the line.  Up the chances of diabetes and obisety by tons.  Also really super hard on their digestive system.

okay i am a little confused you say you have a daughter but you refer to her as a him??? but i agree with everyone else..get help girl...
If you are going to crush cookies to go in the bottle - my suggestion would be either sugar cookies or snickerdoodles - chocolate chips are hard to crunch
Have you never miss spoke when typing. She does have a son too!
very defensive on this person i have noticed from all your posts.. i was not trying to sound rude..so i re-read the posts and nowhere does it state from her that she has a son..she just says she babysits and her kids sleep...
She wrote about her son on a thread I posted on Ashtyn rolling over. Thats how I knew she had a son too.
Hey i did notice that too...strange. Is it a boy or girl?
oh okay thats why i see...avas..shes talking about her daughter i dont understand though...chocolate chip cookies to a 4 almost 5 month old baby...the milk well back in my day when i was a baby my mom changed me to the homo milk the ped had told her to...sad part was i was always sick because im lactose intolerant...the way i think of it..is no teeth the only cookies they begin eating are the baby cookies..but to me its like you wouldnt feed a steak to a baby right away it common sense but thats just my view i guess some just arent as educated
I miss everything, as always.
My hands are itching to type but my brain is telling me "let it goooooo"...
I can't stop laughing long enough to think of something constructive (chomping on a 7 layer cookie :)
Hey I made some cookies tonight, actually I made like 6 dozen cookies tonight and CJ enjoyed some with breastmilk, though not at the same time, I can't handle the chewing while he nurses,lol.
andi..good way to give cookies to ur baby hehe
Chill out! Andi gave the poster a ton of helpful information and was not rude in the least bit! This poster obviously should be informed that a 4 month old shouldn't have cookies in a bottle. And milk is not a good choice for a baby that young! Andi did not by any means demand that EVERYONE nurse their baby!!! She suggested WIC so that the poster could get FORMULA!

You are such a negative person on here! I'm so tired of you treating Andi so badly! What the hell did she ever do to you?
And BTW "if she wants to feed her baby cookies and milk thats her business!!!!!!!!!!!how dare u say those harsh words to someone that was mean and not like a woman or a mother...........she didn`t say granades and antifreeze..........." is the stupidest comment on this thread! The poster ASKED whether she should do it or not!  I'm pretty sure that when you post a question on here, it's because you are seeking advice. Like when you posted that you still suck your thumb. You wanted to know if it was ok. People answered. That's pretty much how things work.

Merry Christmas! Enjoy sucking your widdle thumby under the tree tonight while you wait for Santa. (I have a feeling he won't be coming!)
Anyone who even considers giving their 4 month old cookies is CRAZY!!!!
I let my 4 month old hold a cookie. lol He shoved it in his face. Funniest picture I ever took! lol
LOL!
I echo Ruby's comments completely.  You are often a destructive and negative poster.  

You would do well to put aside your ego and read Andi's posts carefully.  As Ruby said, she TOLD the poster to go get formula!  

Read, and learn.  
Man, I have gestational diabetes and all I want now is a big ole sugar cookie crushed into milk...........sigh..........guess I'll have to wait a little longer.............BTW....The answer to the original poster is NO, get your baby some formula and tell your MIL to shut her trap.........Merry Christmas everyone!  =)
I live in New mexico and since it's one of the poorest states in the nation, the posts are correct in saying the guidelines for WIC & food stamps are very, very, very generous.  I hope that you follow the good advice given to you & promptly contact WIC/income support division.
Cookies mixed with eggnog is actually probably better. If you're going to include the kid in the festivities, may as well go all the way. Add extra rum. It'll help her sleep.
My thoughts exactly, Quinn is going to be 1 in 2 days and I have been giving her rum for months now mixed with her whole milk. She prefers scotch though. Must take after her daddy!! I also crush up cookies and candy canes to go with the scotch. ;) She LOVES it...

Seriously though to the poster no it is so unhealthy at this point to give your baby whole milk and nix the cookie idea. When the baby is older WITH teeth then you can think about a cookie.

YuandAi-leave my buddy AndiJ alone.... What happened did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today!! Santa knows when you have been bad or good so you had better watch it.
Wow, someone is very cranky considering tomorrow is Christmas, she is just mad because I told her to stop swearing. What is the old saying about those who cannot articulate their thoughts without swearing?

*****skips off to report ANOTHER attack*****
Whoa - I bet I can guess who is getting coal in their stocking this year for Christmas - I was really enjoying this thread - there is no way it can be a serious post - I really don't think anyone in their right mind would give a baby cookies in his or her bottle.  There were some very creative answers though - very amusing - it was a fun and gentle way to poke fun at some of the sillier questions that come up in this forum - I think we should all join hands in a circle around Andi and sing Kum-ba-ya - I wouldn't blame Andi for just saying "Why's everybody always pickin on me???"  She did offer alternatives - and for anyone to respond in a hateful and angry way, attacking others - shame shame shame - its Christmas for pete's sake - can't we all just get along??????  Don't make me start another lovefest thread!!
I want to see a lovefest thread, lol!
be careful what you wish for .....................
Uh oh, now you've done it, April!
LOL! You're hysterical today! I don't know who's winning for wittiest post but your's is definitely up there!
Yeah, pepple. Wake up!!
For what?? Cookies and milk?

***grabs bottle of whiskey and chugs then slams down bottle and belches, then sticks thumb in mouth***
Yeah, your caring an generous nature are evident to all. And for the geniuses of the world, this thread was bogus. No one in their right mind would ever give a baby that young whole milk and cookies, I think the OP was simply making fun of all the people on here that stick cereal in their babies bottles. As were the ladies talking about giving their babies liquor in their milk. How gullible can people be?

YuandAi, you have issues. Serious issues you need to address before you bring your child into this world. You need to make peace with whatever is eating at you and stop projecting it onto me. I will stand up toe to toe with you my dear, anytime, any place. I have seen bigger and better than you over the years. I don't need anyone to stick up for me or back me up, they chose to do so because unlike you, I have managed to earn the respect of many members over the year. And yes, that would be THROUGHOUT the year, not just on Christmas Eve.

And I make no apologies for my comments that if you are not able to provide for your baby or child's basic needs, you should not have the priviledge of being a parent. That innocent child did not come into the world asking to be fed whatever was affordable to you,to sleep when you want it to sleep, to obey your every command no matter how ridiculous or inappropriate or to be in the middle of horrible conditions. There are scores of women who would make excellent mothers who will never know the joy carrying a child and they would be far better suited to be the mother of a child that would otherwise be subjected to a life of squallor, malnutrition, and hate.

If that is the case, if you will not be able to afford to give your child what he or she needs, their basic necessities, perhaps adoption would be the best option. Certainly if you will be this angry and bitter towards someone on the Internet, I have real concerns about how you will handle a baby who doesn't do exactly what you want when you want it.

As a Christian, I am appauled that you claim to "praise god all through the year just at gift givin time and i realize the problems of this world 24/7 not just THE HOLIDAY SEASON......pepple wake up " yet persecute people, talk inappropriately, and therefore are missing out on the blessings of God.  I have seen others on this site that do the same.  Also, some that celebrate Christmas but don't believe in God. please try to control your anger and don't throw around God name as an excuse for your behavior.

Also, I read exactly what you did yet I got a whole different version of it. Andi did not say or incenuate that you should have an abortion.  Try to get your anger issues under control.
Amen, tmv! I was just thinking the same thing! I am contantly amazed and ashamed that so many people claim to be followers of God or Christ and then swear like a sailor and put people down. But then it does say to be careful of our tongue because it can be sharper than a two edged sword. It also says in the good book to not use foul language and to be careful how we talk. We are to always be self-controled, gentle and loving even if we have to admonish a fellow believer, we should do it in love. I think we all need to be very careful how we talk and come across to people.
YuandAi, God says you should not be praising God and cursing your fellow brother out of the same mouth. Otherwise God will not hear you.
Please, everyone, no fighting. It's Christmas, remember? Peace and goodwill to all mankind? I think we all need to be reminded of that! God bless everyone.
Gotta make two comments on this whole thing - first of all - yeah, who actually thought this was a real posting???  Anyone?????  It was fun and a lighthearted poke at all the trolls who post on here.  Secondly, IF Andi would ever feel the need to stand toe to toe to you - and I think she's better then that - she'd have an army behind her.  Why you might ask?  Not because we feel the need to kiss any part of her - but because for many women on this forum - including myself - she's been a kind friend who has earned people's trust and respect and friendship.  I'm sorry that somewhere, someone has hurt you so badly that you carry this horrible anger issues with you every day and I hope that you can find some way to resolve them.  Let the lovefest begin..............
Ah that explains a lot. Well do you believe your god is pleased with you when you are attacking others? Whatever your beliefs, there's no reason to attack anybody and cuss people out, none. It's rude and disrespectful. Please try and respect all of us on here. We are all here to support each other, not tear each other down.
Yes, Renogirl! PLEASE start the lovefest now, lol! We need it here!
I never said you were a Christian. You talk about God and even state "thank u lord" in your profile. I just simply get tired of seeing people use those terms so loosely for their own benefit. I believe you're just here for the drama and are probably a very immature teen, if that. Not the person you claim to be and feel like a big girl or boy by cussing people and degrading them.  Good luck to you with that.