Maternal & Child Community
Copper IUD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Copper IUD

I'm looking into getting a copper IUD put in and I'm just looking for some feed back on it. I don't do well on hormones and I'd like to be on something that I don't have to worry about of think about. I'm in a long term relationship but I've never had kids, and I read that they can come out easier if you haven't? I'm just wondering if it's a good option, or if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with it.
I think its great. I did love mine. But I also had some pain during sex and had it remove. After I have this child I am thinking about trying it again.
I don't do well at all on hormones either. I have tried various different forms of birth control, including Mirena IUD and had bad experiences with all of them. I settled for the copper IUD and LOVE IT. No hormones, no nasty side effects. The only problem I have heard of some women having is heavier, crampier periods. I do have a slightly heavier period with this IUD (haven't had one yet though, since giving birth 6 months ago), but nothing I can't manage with a Super Plus tampon (: I don't get the cramping or irregular bleeding that some women report. I think it's great! Insertion causes minor cramping and I have irregular bleeding for a few weeks but then regular cycles after that. I had mine for 3 years before taking it out to get pregnant and got it again in August at my 6 week check up. I don't have pain during sex or any other time. Every woman is different but I highly recommend it!
this is for all the ladies who are looking to this site for iud information and relation.  i do not do well on hormones so i wanted to switch to an iud (copper).  after reading sites like these i almost cancelled my appt.  it has now been over a year and i would like to let everyone know that i would reccommend it. the pain during insertion lasted only 20 seconds and i had no cramping afterwards.  my skin has changed for the better and i also dropped a little weight. the only two things that are of slight concern are: longer periods and sometimes the string moves to a postition where my husband can feel it during sex.
get the IUD no hormones
I'm 32 years old - have had the copper IUD in me for a year and a half...I decided to go "non-hormonal" because I was on birth control for years and realized my migraines were the cause of it.  I stopped taking birth control and never had a migraine since!
Never had any kids and I was told the "insertion" might be a little uncomfortable...It was the WORST!  If I had to do it over, I would have had them numb my cervix or something just to be safe.

I want to have my copper IUD removed because I am having too much back pain and leg pain (mainly right behind my knees)...I also don't care for the heavy periods mainly because I don't feel motivated to work out and probably eat way too much around that time.  
Everyone is different...so I say it's worth a shot...hey, you can always change your mind.

But I will have them numb me before the removal!
I had my copper iud inserted earlier this month and experienced a lot of cramping the day of the procedure because I have not had any children yet. They prescribed me pain medication before and I thought that it might just be uncomfortable the day of but I was very glad I had the pills because I did have pretty serious cramps. This went away the next day and I was fine until my period later this month. True to the warnings, this period has been much heavier and the cramping is back, so I am glad once again for the pain medication. I stopped taking it after the first few days, and I still have cramps, but not as bad. Supposedly, it takes the body a while to get adjusted so I will give it time but I'm really hoping that in a few months I won't have such heavy and painful periods. Besides this, I haven't experienced any side effects and actually feel like my sex drive has increased. I would say to anyone thinking about an iud, that it is a good option, but if you are childless, you will probably experience pain. For now though, I am sticking it out.  
I had my son in March of 2010, but didn't have the IUD placed in until the end of May. Before the IUD was placed I was already having sex with my husband-mind you, completely pain free. Shortly after, sex became so painful, that I've almost completely stopped! Almost every position is painful,even with lubricant. And ever so often I get a yeast-like symptoms, which after two seperate visits, docs concluded it was an allergic reaction. Another weird thing, my husband and I clearly hear during intercourse a ' thumping' noise ; he says he feels something too... I ABSOLUTELY REGRET THE IUD. my sex drive is gone, sex is beyond painful, menstrual cramps, which I never had before, are unbearable, I just hate it. Finally, I've decided to have it removed. But before they can do that,i have to have a consultation starting the reasons why I want out removed! I'm so fed up. I can't wait for it be removed next week.
i am pregnent with an IUD........ i had the copper IUD for 3 years. i have 2 children already and was not planning on more... i didn't like the pill of any other form of Birth control.... i didn't mind the IUD. but the from time to time it was uncomforable and i could feel it.... my periods were heavier but lasted 3-4 days only... so wasnt that bad. but now that i am pregnant i do regret trusting it..... i had it removed last week and went for an ultra sound. still to early to tell if it's tubal or if it is in uterus....a go back in a week for another ultra sound. and have to do blood work weekly to check hormone levels....