Copper IUD
I'm looking into getting a copper IUD put in and I'm just looking for some feed back on it. I don't do well on hormones and I'd like to be on something that I don't have to worry about of think about. I'm in a long term relationship but I've never had kids, and I read that they can come out easier if you haven't? I'm just wondering if it's a good option, or if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with it.
I think its great. I did love mine. But I also had some pain during sex and had it remove. After I have this child I am thinking about trying it again.
I don't do well at all on hormones either. I have tried various different forms of birth control, including Mirena IUD and had bad experiences with all of them. I settled for the copper IUD and LOVE IT. No hormones, no nasty side effects. The only problem I have heard of some women having is heavier, crampier periods. I do have a slightly heavier period with this IUD (haven't had one yet though, since giving birth 6 months ago), but nothing I can't manage with a Super Plus tampon (: I don't get the cramping or irregular bleeding that some women report. I think it's great! Insertion causes minor cramping and I have irregular bleeding for a few weeks but then regular cycles after that. I had mine for 3 years before taking it out to get pregnant and got it again in August at my 6 week check up. I don't have pain during sex or any other time. Every woman is different but I highly recommend it!
this is for all the ladies who are looking to this site for iud information and relation.  i do not do well on hormones so i wanted to switch to an iud (copper).  after reading sites like these i almost cancelled my appt.  it has now been over a year and i would like to let everyone know that i would reccommend it. the pain during insertion lasted only 20 seconds and i had no cramping afterwards.  my skin has changed for the better and i also dropped a little weight. the only two things that are of slight concern are: longer periods and sometimes the string moves to a postition where my husband can feel it during sex.
get the IUD no hormones
I'm 32 years old - have had the copper IUD in me for a year and a half...I decided to go "non-hormonal" because I was on birth control for years and realized my migraines were the cause of it.  I stopped taking birth control and never had a migraine since!
Never had any kids and I was told the "insertion" might be a little uncomfortable...It was the WORST!  If I had to do it over, I would have had them numb my cervix or something just to be safe.

I want to have my copper IUD removed because I am having too much back pain and leg pain (mainly right behind my knees)...I also don't care for the heavy periods mainly because I don't feel motivated to work out and probably eat way too much around that time.  
Everyone is different...so I say it's worth a shot...hey, you can always change your mind.

But I will have them numb me before the removal!
I had my copper iud inserted earlier this month and experienced a lot of cramping the day of the procedure because I have not had any children yet. They prescribed me pain medication before and I thought that it might just be uncomfortable the day of but I was very glad I had the pills because I did have pretty serious cramps. This went away the next day and I was fine until my period later this month. True to the warnings, this period has been much heavier and the cramping is back, so I am glad once again for the pain medication. I stopped taking it after the first few days, and I still have cramps, but not as bad. Supposedly, it takes the body a while to get adjusted so I will give it time but I'm really hoping that in a few months I won't have such heavy and painful periods. Besides this, I haven't experienced any side effects and actually feel like my sex drive has increased. I would say to anyone thinking about an iud, that it is a good option, but if you are childless, you will probably experience pain. For now though, I am sticking it out.  
I had my son in March of 2010, but didn't have the IUD placed in until the end of May. Before the IUD was placed I was already having sex with my husband-mind you, completely pain free. Shortly after, sex became so painful, that I've almost completely stopped! Almost every position is painful,even with lubricant. And ever so often I get a yeast-like symptoms, which after two seperate visits, docs concluded it was an allergic reaction. Another weird thing, my husband and I clearly hear during intercourse a ' thumping' noise ; he says he feels something too... I ABSOLUTELY REGRET THE IUD. my sex drive is gone, sex is beyond painful, menstrual cramps, which I never had before, are unbearable, I just hate it. Finally, I've decided to have it removed. But before they can do that,i have to have a consultation starting the reasons why I want out removed! I'm so fed up. I can't wait for it be removed next week.
i am pregnent with an IUD........ i had the copper IUD for 3 years. i have 2 children already and was not planning on more... i didn't like the pill of any other form of Birth control.... i didn't mind the IUD. but the from time to time it was uncomforable and i could feel it.... my periods were heavier but lasted 3-4 days only... so wasnt that bad. but now that i am pregnant i do regret trusting it..... i had it removed last week and went for an ultra sound. still to early to tell if it's tubal or if it is in uterus....a go back in a week for another ultra sound. and have to do blood work weekly to check hormone levels....