Maternal & Child Community
Cord Bood Banking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cord Bood Banking

Hi everyone, I am scheduled for my C-section this upcoming Tuesdat the 27th.  I was wondering if any of you have had any experience or information on cord blood banking with the stem cells

Thank you all for your support

God Bless
i really wanted to bank my dd's cord blood, they kept sending me stuff in the mail, but its VERYY expensive, like thousands of dollars, are you banking your babies?
I do know that if you choose to not bank your own blood because of the expense that most places allow donation.  These donations are great because they are used in study and research to improve the lives of humans.  I think I will be doing the donation when my baby is born this August.
I had my DD cord blood banked when she was born 5 years ago.  It was not as expensive then as it is now.  It was 200.00 and 50.00 a year.  There was really nothing to it.  I had a kit to take to the hospital with me and then there was instruction on it for the hospital to call and they sent Fed ex the next morning to pick it up.  They send me a bill every year on her birthday, but it is nice to know it is there if we need it.  What I am looking into now is seeing if there is a way to test my DD #2's cord blood when she is born and see if it matches for someone on the registry that needs it.  My daddy had leukemia and needed a bone marrow transplant, in which cord blood will work for.  
I wanted to donate my first daughters cord blood but didn't know anything about it. When I went into labor I said I wanted to donate it and they asked where my kit was and I was clueless what they were talking about. with my second daughter I researched it before I had her so I could donate the cord blood and had every thing ready on D day. I was able to donate it the doc took the blood out of the cord aftre birth and it went into a bag like thing then into a box then fedex came to my hospital and picked up the blood from me. This time I plan to donate it again. I for sure say if you can not aford banking then donate it.
also if you are going to have your baby this tuesday I think it may be to late to get the kit to have at the hospital for banking I am not for sure for sure about that but I'm not sure if they would be able to get the kit to you in less then a week good luck
If it's not too late for you and you can afford to do it, I would say unequivocally to bank it. We insure our homes, our cars, our jewellery and this is like insurance on your child's life as well. Except for our kids, there is no amount of money that can put a value on their lives and health. I did it for both my DDs and I'm thankful that I did.
I did it with DD and it wasn't that bad.  Yes, it is expensive but if something (God forbid!)happens to her and CB could save her life and I didn't do it, I'd never forgive myself.  My father in law has leukemia so we banked her blood just to be on the safe side.  Once again, I hope we never need it.