Maternal & Child Community
Could I Still Be Pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Could I Still Be Pregnant?

I found out I was pregnant at 5 1/2 weeks. I seemed to be suffering from bad pregnancy symptoms immediately, and seemed to be showing already (unless I concieved earlier and still had periods). About a  week later I started bleeding lightly and called my doctor. I was told that I should stay in bed and rest and see if the bleeding stopped. It did not, but I continued bleeding lightly for what seemed like a bnormal period duration. I suddenly one night had some bad cramping passed a couple of clots and then pain was gone and stopped bleeding a day or two later. I assumed I had a complete miscarriage but haven't gone for the blood work to check for hcg levels and complete miscarriage yet. I never had the ultrasound done becuase they thought from the sound of it I miscarried. It's been a week now. I lost all pregnancy symptoms when the bleeding started but I notice that I still have a lump in my abdomen and rarely seem to feel something as in movement. I wonder whether I could still be pregnant and just be having period s and a loss of preg symptoms between them. Or if I just haven't passed all the tissue from the miscarriage. I wasn't far along I don't think but although I passed clots I don't think remember passing any grey matter or any sac. I am 35 with a 10 1/2 year old son. We really wanted this baby. Is there any chance I could still be pregnant with a viable baby despite the bleeding and the loss of preg symptoms as bleeding began?

Thank you!
Hello, I am sorry but it does sound like a M/C...I think you should go see you doc ASAP first to confirm either you are pg or have M/C.  Second, if you m/c, you need to make sure you passed all the tissue, otherwise, you can get an infection.
Again, I am sorry and please take care!
Yes, you could still be pregnant.  If I were you, I'd take an at home pg test.  It is not likely that you are feeling any movement from a baby this early, however.

I was pregnant and at 8 weeks passed a TON of blood - I was still pregnant.  The latest statistics suggest that 1 out of every 3 pregnancies start out as twins and one is miscarried.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
You should go to the doctor asap.  They can determine what happened and ease your mind!!  If you are still pg you need to find out why you are bleeding.  You need that ultrasound.  Also, if you started to mc and didnt complete it then you can get an infection from what is left over. Good luck, and i hope you feel better and stop bleeding.
You could still very well be pregnant. I would def. set up an appointment with your Dr. I am very surprised that they did not want you to come in for a hcg test. They usually do that when you miscarry to make sure the levels have went down to where they should be. I would def. put a call into the Dr. I wouldn't take a HPT because if you do still have some tissue from the baby, there could still be the hcg (pregnancy hormone) in your system, and that could cause a false negative. At this point in time, it's best just to see your Dr. Good Luck to you and God Bless!
I meant "false positive" on the post above, sorry!!
I am not bleeding anymore. I stopped last week. I know you can bleed in pregnancy, even a lot but the fact that the pregnancy symptoms which were unusually intense I would think-disappeared of course worries me. Perhaps it's last ditch hope on my part. or those who bled in pregnancy, did you lose pregnancy symptoms as well, at least temp?

Wow about twins and triplets being miscarried.. My friend was a twin who lost his twin when his mother miscarried the other brother.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and kind words. I am going to see the doctor tomorrow for a blood test and ultrasound.

if you did have a MC and you took a pregnancy test. the test could still come out postive, due to tissue and hormone still being present. Blood work would be your best bet.
sorry to post this question here, but there is no more room.  I was wondering if anyone knew how to check their cervix to feel if it is opened or closed?  And if it is closed how does that feel.  I have never done it before until today and when I tried my was very hard to reach, assuming that was it.  please help!!!
I checked my cervix and cervical mucous when I was trying to conceive. I found it difficult to determine the difference between open and closed. but I do know that at the most fertile time, your cervix is very high, so high that sometimes it's difficult to reach. It's also very soft.  so it sounds like you are at your peek right now. Go do some baby making girl! When you're past you're fertility window, your cervix is very low. Doesn't take much to find it. Practice makes perfect. Do you know how to check your CM?
I'm not sure what the cervix feels like once you are pregnant.  I'm scared to touch the cervix now, just incase I poke something I'm not supposed to. (I know that sound stupid)  You could be pregnant. but I don't think fluttering in the lower ab has anything to do with pregnancy at the beginning stages.  I do have a feeling that your cervix would stay high during pregnancy, due to the cervix trying to stay as far away as possible from the outer world full of germs. Are you taking your BBT? That was a good indicator for me. it was very helpful.
Your body doesn't lie, and works in strange ways. If your cervix is high, I believe your definitly fertile right now.
I'm sorry about your MC. I'm going to the OBGYN tomorrow for my first prenatal vist. I'm scared that I might have miscarried, because for the past 2 weeks I've been bleeding, with mild cramps here and there. my HPT says positive, but my BBT has decreased. what were your symptoms when you had your MC?
Sorry about that. I had some severe back pain so bad that I was unable to sleep, and then there was some bleeding, but no clots.  I was also wondering what my cervix would feel like if I have conceived.  Because I am having some like back pain, I feel sick on and off, and have flutters in my stomach (I don't know what that is).  Could I possible be pregnant?
no I don't but I had a miscarriage in December, and if my AF is back to normal now, I would be starting tomorrow.  But see it has been 4 weeks since my last AF.  So does that mean that I am still at my most fertile time.
It's been 2 weeks since I bled and had what I believe was a miscarriage. I am going to take a hpt (home pregnancy test) in the morning and see whether anything registers. How do I read the results given my present situation?

Has anyone bled and LOST PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS even briefly, but no miscarried?

I am sorry if I'm worrying but.... it's what I do best! Lol.

Thank you.

Thank you.
Myazia- To inform you a little about your cervix when you're pvulating and when you're pregnant. This is based off of my experience, and things I have heard other women say. When I ovulate my cervix is high, and I have stretchy cm. It's not likely that you are ovulating right now, being you're supposed to start your period tomorrow. If you're on a normal cycle there is no way. SOme say your cervix stays high if you did conceive, but with this pregnancy mine was kind of at a "medium" stage. It wasn't low like after I ovulate and wasn't high like when I am ovulating. It's so different, and some womens cervix do not get high until like in their 6th week of pregnancy. It's so very confusing, and that's why Dr's say do not go off of the cervix. BBT, is a far better way to go for that.

Melody- I don't know really why you're going to take a test. I know you're worried, but the pregnancy test could say positive and in fact you're not pregnant. It's going to be a waste of money and could give you false hope. I would just wait. You said you were going to the Dr. today and I would wait for the ultrasound. I'm not trying to sound mean, and I can totally understand where you're coming from because I have miscarried twice. But the hcg could still be in your system, and that will result in a positive pregnancy test. If you read the box it says "do not take a pregnancy test if you have had a recent miscarriage" and you may have, so if it says positive you're going to feel a little better, then if you go get a ultrasound and there's nothing there it's going to make everything that much worse. I wish you the best I really really do, and if this was a miscariage I wish you the best in conceiving again and having a stciky baby and healthy 9 months, and after. Good luck to you and may God Bless you.
Thank you to everyone for being so kind. I learn so much from this site and take such great comfort from everyone's words. My doctor didn't have any openings for an ultrasound until next Thursday. The new pregnancy test though is negative so indeed I miscarried.
First, i want to say that I am so sorry you are having such a hard time and that you have lost so many of your babies.  That sounds very strange to me that you are pregnant but the dr. cant find something that was just there.  I would ask for a second opinion.  Especially if you saw the hb a week ago!!! Very strange.  It isnt like the baby would disappear.  Good luck and keep us posted.. I hope everything turns out to be ok!!
I am so sorry to hear how much you have been through. I feel guilty whining about my one miscarriage. I sincerely hope and pray that you are blessed with a healthy full term baby very soon. You've certainly put forth a monumental effort to become pregnanct and I commend you on your determination. Pray. God can do anything.

*Hug*

Mel
Melody- I am so sorry to hear about the miscarriage, but like you said to chelle, just pray because God can do ANYTHING! I wish you the best luck in trying to conceive, and a happy and healthy nine months.

Chellebelle- I am very sorry to hear for your losses. I don't know what to tell about your situation. That is the streangest thing I think I have ever heard, concerning pregnancy. I would def. express my concern, and have them bring you back in, and I wouldn't leave until I was satisfied with the answer I was given, being ood or bad, I would want a very reasonable explanation of what's going on. I mean that is what these Dr.'s get paid for right?? I've never heard of anything like that. I was 7 weeks and 3 days at my ultrsound as well and they saw the baby and a heartbeat, I am almost 11 weeks. I go tomorrow to the Dr. We will see if everything is still ok which I have faith it is. Did they try listening for a heartbeat through a doppler? I would even suggest that, something!!! That would drive me nuts! Best of luck to you hun! God Bless you!!
Hi. Here is my history.....My DH and I have been trying to have a baby since Nov, 2002. I got preg for the 1st time in May, 2004 after SEVERAL rounds of clomid and miscarried at 6 weeks. I continued on Clomid and got preg the 2nd time in Oct, 2004 and miscarried at 5 weeks. I had a D&C in Jan, 2005 because Dr. thought he saw polyps on my HSG test. There was nothing....had a D&C for nothing. He increased my Clomid to 150mg Days 3-7. I got preg in Aug, 2005 and miscarried at 6 weeks again. This time he started me on PRogesterone Supps and low dose aspirin but they didn't seem to help. Got pregnant again in Oct, 2005 and miscarried at 7 weeks and saw nothing in the uterus at my 7 week US. Dr thought it was ectopic and wanted me to take methotrexate shot to abort pregnancy. Miscarried on my own the day before I was scheduled to take the injection at 7-1/2 weeks. In December, we had an accident because I was supposed to be seeing a fert specialist around the 1st of Feb and I got pregnant without any medication. On Jan 17th when my cycle was late I got a BFP on a home test and called the Dr right away to have my blood work done. My hcg was 76.5 and progesterone was 12. He right away told me to use 2 50mg prog supps a day. A week later my progesterone had dropped to 8.8. He then started me on PRogesterone in Oil injections (once/day) and Lovenox injections (once/day). We saw the baby and the fluttering heartbeat last Wednesday, Feb 8th and were so excited and thought this was it after 5 unexplained m/cs we finally did it. We just had a 2nd US yesterday Wed, Feb 15th and the Dr couldn't find anything in my uterus but only looked via transvaginal US for a few seconds and right away said he thought it was another m/c. Has anyone ever seen a heartbeat one week and then a week later saw nothing? I have no cramps, or bleeding and have had no bleeding since my last period. I don't know what to think anymore. I am hoping that he was not thorough in his US yesterday because our appt was so late in the day.....Is there still hope? Please respond! I am on pins and needles worrying about this one. This would be my first baby and 6th pregnancy since May of 2004.  I am currently 8 weeks, 5 days.  1st US was done 7 weeks, 4 days and 2nd US was done 8 weeks, 4 days.  LMP was Dec 17th.
Please help. I'm so sad right now. Last night, i had a litle spotting.Now this morning, it's a lot .A lot that seems like the first day of my period. My due date was on the 11th. I tried hpt last 15th or 16th and it came out negative.This time I feel back pains,abdominal cramps and after eating feel like i want to throw up. I really want to have a baby.:(

I always have regular menstruation. But i'm overdue now. What does this mean?

God bless everyone and Thank you.
I'm sorry I mean my period was due on Feb 11th.
Have you taken another home test since the 16th? and if so did it come back + or -?
No, I wasn't. My plan was to do it again on the 25th but I don't know what to do know. It really looks like my regular period.
My husband told me to stop crying because there's no reason to cry for.:( Just can't help crying because i did believe i was pregnant.And he told me I am!
We had our 3rd sono yesterday and there was a sac but no embryo and no heartbeat.  I stopped my injections and am waiting to m/c on my own.
You could be pregnant with bleeding but cramping and heavier (red) bleeding could also be a sign of a very early miscarriage.  If it doesn't work out for you this time....don't give up!  I have had 6 m/cs since May 2004 and I will say it doesn't get easier but when I finally do have a baby it will be well worth all of the pain I've gone through.

Good luck and I will pray for you!
Okay. I know this is kind of out there, but I have some questions. First, I will tell you a little about me and my situation. I am 18 years old and really want a child. I have been trying since October. I had a period November 15th. Then, in December I did not have a period. In, January I had a light pink bleeding for 6 days. It was only when I wiped. February, I had an even lighter amount and color of it for 3 days. I have taking 5 HPTs..all negative. I have had many symptoms. Nausea, tiredness, urinating a lot more (recently it has gotten to be about 3 times as normal), smelling more things, some of my favorite foods making me feel sick, having cravings for popsicles and cheese, my belly is getting bigger (I can only fit in my jogging pants), I get really moody, my sore breasts finally stopped feeling so sore this month, they are definitely getting a little bigger, getting gas, and cramps. That is everything I can remember at the time. I have never had any symptoms other than bleeding around/for my period. So, could I be pregnant with all of that? I am supposed to be going to the health department next week. I have to wait until my fiance can borrow his mom's car because his van is broke right now. Thanks.
Cramping is a symptom of ovulation and the spotting could possibly be implantation bleeding.  Have you tried a home pregnancy test yet?
Sounds like you are definitely pregnant.  Although based on your LMP you should be feeling the baby move by now.  I would schedule an appt with your OB/GYN asap and start on prenatal vitamins right away (if you haven't already).
I not sure, but I took 3 HPT within a two day time period and all three results were (+).  I started bleeding for only a day and I took another test when I started bleeding and it came back (-). I call the Dr. and he stated the pregnancy could have passed and I may have had a m/c. Has this happen to anyone else ... and could the hcg drop so fast from less then a three hr time frame. now I not sure if I am going to have a baby or was it just a false + reading.
on the 6/6/06 i had a complete miscarriage. the doctor checked me over and said everything is ok but i can feel something. i never had a scan.but i still feel pregnant a week later. is this normal and i did a pt and it is still pregnant.this is my secong mc and iv had a stillbirth at 26 weeks
hello my name is katrina and i think im pregnant and i dont know how to tell my parents. i have already told the baby's daddy and he wants nothing too do with it
i took a  test it said that i was and im going to take another one. i am having all the symptoms of it beging sick and all
so what should i do?
thank you
Well, it all depends on your situation.  I assume you are not in a position to raise a child; the good news is that there are thousands of couples who would be thrilled to adopt the baby.  If you do this or if you opt for abortion, either way you are going to need to tell at least one parent.  If you just can't face doing this alone, maybe you have an aunt who you could tell and she could come with you when you tell your mom?  Your parents might be mad and they might be disappointed, but believe me, it's not the first time in the world that a daughter has had to tell her parents this kind of news, and they know this too.  In other words, they have probably worried about this in their worst nightmares since you were little, the same way parents worry about how to keep their kids off drugs.  So be brave, I think you should go ahead and tell at least your mother what is happening.  Good luck, and (((HUGS))).
HI
     baby4staci I know how u feel. My period is on the 7 of july I pray it does not come. I have been trying to get pregnant for three months. I know that is not a long time but to me it is. Waiting to see every time hoping that I am pregnant. My husband wants a baby so bad. Well baby4staci I will pray for all of us in this site that may we all get what we want and may we be healthy. Amen

ps im 24yrs old