Maternal & Child Community
Could I be any more Jerry Springer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Could I be any more Jerry Springer?

Hello. I am writing because I feel like I have exhausted myself asking my doctor the same questions over and over. I've probably thoroughly annoyed her as well! I have just come from the doctor's office and had my first OB ultrasound, I am 8 weeks and 2 days pregnant.
    I had my first period after having my child born on August 2nd, at the beginning of October. I stayed on my period till about the 7th of October. The last time my partner and I were together was on the 5th. I was then with a different partner on the 15th - 1 week later.. I went into the doctor and did a blood test on the 20th which was negative for pregnancy, went back on the 8th and found out I was about 5 weeks pregnant according to her! She said that since it was my first time menstruating after the birth of my son I ovulated early in my cyle, and conceived with my old partner. I don't understand - if he is the father - why my blood test would still have shown up negative on the 20th then? My doctor states to me very confidentally that my first partner is the father. That I ovulated early and conceived around the 13th. My due date is July 10th.
     This is all a huge blessing to me regardless. My son had just passed away on October 6th which caused the separation. But for my own sanity I would really like to confidentally say who is the father or not! Any ideas or opinions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
I am sorry about the loss of your son.

Regarding your quandary, first off, (just to be clear), I assume you know that a count of 8w2d is stated the medical way; i.e., calibrated to the crown-to-rump size of an embryo counted from the first day of the last period, not counted from the day of conception.

Since you had the ultrasound so early, it is more reliable -- babies grow at different rates and later ultrasounds can vary by a week or more.  Unfortunately, with two possibilities within only ten days of each other, you cannot be entirely certain until you have a DNA test done after the baby is born.  That said, if you allow two weeks from the beginning of the period to the presumed date of ovulation, that gives October 16 for the day of conception.  You really can't "confidently" say it is one guy's or the other guy's baby, but it sounds more likely to be the second guy's.  The only way it would be the baby of the first guy is if his sperm lasted a long time in your system (it can happen), and you ovulated a week early, right at the end of your period (this can happen too).  Still sounds more likely to be the child of the second guy.
Thank you for your condolences. That is what I was thinking as well but my doctor is continuously stating it to be the first man. I was even contemplating seeing another doctor because I just didn't feel like her answers were adding up. I appreciate your response!
I would get a paternity test just for peace of mind. There is nothing worse than trying to guess.

I am also so very sorry for your loss. I can not begin to fathom the emotions you are/have been experiencing over the past 1 1/2 months. I do hope that you get the results you are seeking and good luck.