Maternal & Child Community
Coxsackie Virus/Hand, foot & Mouth Disease in 3 yo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Has anyone else had any experience with Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease.  My son has had this sore on his lip about a week, but over the weekend it spread...I finally took  him back to the doc today and he said HFM disease.  If you've had experience, please share...how long did it last, what kind of treatment was given? Any tips for alleviating discomfort?  Thanks!
Both my kids have had it at some point and they seemed pretty cranky most of the time.  They had sores on their throats + fever and then these little red bumps on their fingers and toes that eventually got whiteish and swollen.  About a week or 2 later their fingers and toes peeled.  Unfortunately there's not much treatment other than OTC medicines for pain.  Best of luck to your baby!
i had it several years back (i worked in daycare). worst sore throat i've ever had. you can use motrin (if ok with dr) but otherwise not much you can do. i was miserable, but i never got the sores on my hands or feet. it's viral so antibiotics are useless. if he's in preschool or daycare, let them know he has it since it is highly contagious. we always had to sanitize everything, change the sand in the sand table, etc... when it went around (and it went around a couple times a year)
Just pain meds and cold fluid to ease his pain.  Just makes sure he is hydrated and wash their and your hands often.
Thanks...this is my first time dealing with it...my 3 yo had it but so far me, my H or my two girls have had any symptoms.  My doc did tell me about what he calls the "magic mouthwash" .  He says "they" (whoever they are) originally created it for cancer kids who got sores from chemo.  Basically it's equal parts of regular liquid maalox and regular liquid benadryl.  Mix it to make about a teaspoon and use a medicine syringe to squirt it onto the sores in his mouth...the doc said the maalox will coat the sores to sooth them and the benadryl will act as a mild local anesthetic.  WE have tried it yet but will as soon as dinner is over.  I had something similiar about 10 years ago but don't remember the throat sores...just around the lips.  

I've already told my babysitter, shes a licensed home daycare so there's a fewer number of kids.  He's only spent a partial day there since he got these sores...I kept him out friday and saturday becuase of fever and he'll be out the rest of the week so hopefully the exposure was minimal enough that no one else gets it.  H and I are having to alternate taking time off work to stay home with him till he gets better.
My daugher got it two summer ago while we were down the shore.  She was miserable. It started with high fevers for two days..then the little red dots on her feet and hands popped up..and it progressed from there.  The dr. said it was a seasonal thing, primarly summer and she got it from either the ocean water or sand.
Pain meds, and they gave her this stuff...OOO i wish i could remember what the name of it was.  Well basically it numbed her mouth and throat.  She had them everywhere in her eyes, mouth throat.  It was terrible.  This stuff they gave her was amazing.  She used it every four hours.  It allowed her to eat and drink without screaming.  It took about one week to fully go away.  It's basically only a kid thing.
My older son got it twice at daycare.  He was pretty little the first time and they gave him Tylenol with codeine to help ease the pain.  He reacted to the codeine, but they advised to keep up motrin and plain tylenol to keep him comfortable.  The second time he got it he was almost 2 and woke up with a pretty high fever.  I thought it was an ear infection and made an appt.  Got the fever down some and had to take him to daycare to finish some things at work for an hour before getting him in.  I handed him to the daycare provider (whom I had called and explained his fever etc. too, she was okay since he had chronic ear infections and it looked like another one).  Anyway, he puked all over me on the handoff and I ended up calling work to tell them I was not going to be in.  I was told no daycare for at least 7 days, it's highly contagious, and to keep him comfy.  He was so sick, it takes time, wash your hands a ton.  Good luck.
Just want to add that adults CAN get this.  My 6 month old twins had it last week and now I have it.  Not only are there painful blisters in my mouth, but, yes, women can get them in their genetalia.  Make sure  you really wash your hands after every task when handling the babies, especially after changing diapers or using the bathroom.