Maternal & Child Community
Cramping at 5 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cramping at 5 weeks

Is cramping at 5 weeks normal?
this is my first time on this forum. I am at about 4 weeks and 6 days - almost 5 weeks and I feel mild cramps. they are not continuous, but sort of come and go. Is this normal? I am scheduled for a first check up at 6.5 weeks.
I have mild cramps too (6 wks 3 days) and it is normal. If the cramps are severe, I would call the doctor, but if they feel like premenstrual cramps that's okay. My sister had cramps her entire pregnancy.
Yep I am 7 weeeks today and they are still here. as long as there is no bleeding then don't worry.
Thanks so much both of you. The pain is certainly not severe. It feels like VERY, VERY mild menstrual cramps and is not continuous. Its amazing that so early, I can "feel" something happening inside. I live in San Francisco where drs. are so busy. i feel bad to call my OB to ask her these questions. So I really appreciate the help. Thanks again.
No problem thats what we are here for. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
I'm 4 weeks 2 days and yup, cramping :)  Good news we're ALL NORMAL!!  hah

I was glad to hear someone else was surprised to feel the growing pains so early on.  I don't remember this with my first pregnancy???  but i'm sure it was the same.

Good luck to us all!!!  oxoxo momttc
Glad to help. Don't worry, you are doing just fine.
Debra :o)
YES!! I was feeling really tired and a little nauses a week before I was do to start! The week I was due to start when I would use the restroom and wipe there would be a little pink. I am now 25 weeks pregnant!!!! The doctor said it was implantation spotting. With my daughter I didn't feel sick right away and did not have implantation bleeding but I did this time and the doctor said my HCG levels were a lot higher with this pregnancy at the start of it.....You could be!!!
has anyone here been nauseous when you first found ou that you were pregnant?..............I'm curious because my period was due on the 5th........nothing except pink when I wipe and that's it..........but I'm feeling VERY nauseous but I didn't want to get my hopes up about nothing..........I haven't tested yet because I wanted to wait to see if my period ever really comes..........and suggestions or has anyone experienced this???
I have the exact same symptoms! I am 5 wks today (I messed that up on my post)and am scared too. My MD has done 2 HCG titers and it went up but did not double over 48h. I'll let you know what happens with me; its comforting to know there is someone else out there with similar concerns and questions, even if there is no solid answer.
It's hard to say what's "normal". Every pregnancy is different, but not being hungry isn't something I would worry about. I have been so queasy some days I have had to force myself to eat for the nutrition. My boob pain comes and goes and did last time I was pregnant (m/c). I'm not sure about the cramping at night. Are you spotting at all? If not, it's probably just your uterus stretching. And as far as being exhausted all the time, some women have it that way. You also may be low in Iron which would cause you to be more tired. Are you taking a prenatal vitamin every day?
I'd try to post a new thread, but it said I couldn't... I apologize.

I should be about a month along now. I've got so many questions, but no answers. I don't have insurance as of right now and absoultely no money so I'm kind of scared as to what I should do.

I've got a question. I'm NEVER hungry!When I do get hungry it's this strange burning in my stomach that leads into my throat. I can't find anything stating that something like that happens. Also, at night I wake up from somewhat-like period cramps. They aren't to the point of unbareable, but they wake me up and keep me up for about 20 minutes. Also, my breast were sore and VERY swollen for a few days, now they are off and on.. that's okay, right? As for the gag reflex and smells, it's pretty much how everyone else has explained them. Also, I'm 24/7 tired. I feel like I haven't slept in days and days, and I sleep about 12 hours a day now. When I'm at work I'm so exhausted I fight to stay awake. At night though it's so hard to go to sleep. It takes me forever because of my mind racing and wondering along with the discomfort of cramps.

Another thing, before I found out I was pregnant I was sick with something similar to the flu. I missed a weeks worth of work because of it and didn't sleep at all. Stuff noes, coughing, fever, chills.. Is that bad? I still have the cough, and an acasuional stuffy noes, but thats about it.

Any answers?

Again, I apologize.. I'm just a bit scared.
Laurenkf - I'm not really hungry either (Just finished  wks today). The only real sign I have is really painful breasts. My OB is my friend and she said the only think to make sure to do was to make sure I was always very well hydrated - lots of water - lots of milk  , yogurt, cheese and eat small meals about 5 -6 times a day.
Make sure you take a pre-natal pill and don't forget the OJ.
I had a question re: Preg tests. My OB said that I didn't need to do any blood work because at this point (5 wks today), there was little we could do if the preg. wasn't going well. She asked me to make an appointment at 7 weeks (Oct 22 for me) and she would do the initial visit. Do you think I should insist in blood work right now and then have blood work to follow at 7 weeks to make sure that the  levels are rising as they are supposed to?
thanks a ton, I love this forum. Its so great to have a support system of people one can talk to since I think I will keep this quiet till 4 months.
Debra, thanks so much. I think I will call and get a test done early this week and then again next week, to check the hcg levels. You are right, if they are falling and things don't work out, atleast we'll know next time to take progesterone of whatever they suggest to hold onto the pregnancy. thanks
I would have the bloodwork done for peace of mind or information. There is nothing you can do if you are going to m/c, but if your levels are not rising, you can atleast be prepared for it. I hadn't had my levels checked, had an u/s, saw the h/b at 6 wks 3 days (this was last time) and at my u/s at 10 weeks found out the baby had stopped growing around 6 1/2 weeks. I was shocked. Had I checked my #'s I would've had an idea something was wrong. With this pregnancy, I have my levels checked every week. Do what is best for you.
Debra
Andrea, I am struggling precisely with trying to figure out whether  knowledge is a good think like Debra suggested or just going with it like you suggest. Thanks for sharing your experience. I still really don't know what to do.
As someone who has played the numbers game with one of my six total pregnancies (4 ended in m/c), I would suggest against it. All it will do is cause more stress and worry waiting for the results to come in, trust me. With my first 4 pregnancies, 3 of which ended in m/c, I was blissfully unaware until problems started to show on their own. With my 5th pregnancy, I was forced into the numbers game and it was hell. I spent weeks in limbo, hoping to see numbers double. They would rise, but not do what they supposed to do and my doctor kept having me get them done. I fired him, found a different OB and got right in for an u/s and found our it was a blighted ovum. I felt much better having a definitive answer versus spending all my time in a lab with no conclusive answers. With my 6th pg, my OB didn't have me do the numbers game. It was far less stressful and I went on to deliver a healthy baby boy.

I swore with any subsequent pregnancies, I would avoid going through that again. There is nothing that can be done to prevent an early m/c and I know I would rather be blissfully unaware unless there was a reason to worry like bleeding or cramping.

Just my 2 cents, take it for what it is worth : ) If your OB doesn't see a reason to order tests yet, I would have to agree.

Andrea
I felt the same way Debra did. I wanted to know what was going on and have an idea of what to plan for. I too had three miscarriages and had my HCG levels checked.Especially with my third miscarriage if we hadn't had the numbers checked then my doctor wouldn't have scheduled an early u/s to find that I had an empty sac and was going to miscarry. I'd rather know then go weeks thinking everything is okay when it's not. I was able to have the d & C done and prepare to try again.I wish you the best and as a result of my low HCG levels and miscarriages with my fourthe pregnancy I was given the HCG hormones twice a week up until my 11th week of pregnancy which helped support my pregnancy and I had my healthy baby girl. I am currently pregnant again 25 weeks and went through the injections again and so far so good.....
Niki- I hadn't had the blood work, but I have an u/s scheduled for the 22nd when I will be exactly 7 weeks. Thanks for the email. I just decided that I would call the dr. and get a lab slip for a test so that I can take another blood test early next week and have results before the 22nd U/s. You are right. I could be in a fake paradise right now! Thanks so much for sharing all your perspectives.