Maternal & Child Community
Cramps after Ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cramps after Ovulation

Hi Everyone,
I have noticed that I have light cramps from the time I ovulate until I get my period. I thought this was due to fluid that may be released when I ovulate (as mentioned in a book I've read) but do the cramps last that long? Does it affect our chances of conceiving? Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks so much!
I'm wondering the same thing.  I O'd last Sunday night and i've had HORRIBLE cramping on the right side (where my ectopic was) ever since.  Yesterday it was horrible and I had pink when I wiped on Thursday night.  Anyone have ANY ideas? Also, my nipples are SO sore and this only seems to happen when I ovulate on the side my ectopic was on.  I'm terrified....PLEASE HELP!
All of those signs are HUGE signs of fertility!!!  The cramps are caused by the swelling follicle when the egg is released!  So it's a sign of ovulation.  I hope you were having sex the days before and during!!!  :)

My cramps were horrible this time around... so I am hoping the egg released :(  I'm going to the doctor on monday to see what the progesterone levels are..  I am hopefull.  I was on 150mg of clomid, so i am keeping my fingers crossed for a Christmas baby :)

good luck.

Oh and shortcake, spotting during ovulation is an even BIGGER sign of ovulation.  Spotty egg-white mucus is the MOST fertile mucus!  congratulations :)

Momttc
Kellie,
I also have a sharp pain when I ovulate but my cramps last the 13 or 14 days until my period starts and they aren't terrible...just slight. I read a great book called "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" that might help you. You can probably get it at the library.
Thanks for the help, however, I'm not spotting. I just have cramps that last the whole time between ovulation and my period. I take my temperature (I know that it sounds like a pain to do but it's fascinating the system your body has)every morning and the cramps last from the first day my temp is up until I get my period. In the book I mentioned to Kellie, it says that you could have cramping due to fluid that is released when you ovulate - it irritates the uterus and can cause cramps. I just want to know if those cramps can last the rest of the cycle or are these cramps a problem.
Thanks SO much for answering me! =) I'm mostly terrified that it's on the right - having another ectopic.  And WHY are my boobs so sore? they KILL! this has only happened twice since my ectopic...so maybe when i ovulate on the left something is messed up ? or maybe my right is messed up?

And TONS of babydust to you too! (((((hugs)))) and thanks so much again! Kellie
Thanks- keep all finger, toes, arms, tongues, etc...crossed for me!! ;o))
Hey guys all your symptoms are good signs of fertility and ovulation, I wouldn't worry at all.  Be thankful you are having signs of ovulation.  Its quite funny how us ladies TTC, pray each month AF doesn't show.  We take for granted our cycles and now that I'm on CD36 and still no AF- its worrying me that I didn't O'. And now I'm praying AF does show so that I know I have a somewhat normal cycle, capable of conceiving.  So when you get your AF every 28 days and are bummed about it, just remember--at least you are having normal periods, ovulating and even able to pinpoint ovulation better cuz of normal cycle. Thus, you at least know you can conceive.

Sorry but I'm just feeling down today.  I've never had off cycles and now I'm on CD36 where my normal is 30-33.  And last cycle I was a week late making it a 37d cycle....(sigh..) ;o(

I don't know how you do it??? This waiting is aweful.  I'm new here but if I was on cd37 i'd buy up all the hpt in the county!
yeah I know.  But I'm doing a test on Monday and will find out tuesday.  Pretty sure I'm not preggo though and thats the problem, not knowing why my AF isn't showing up.

Well, we'll see.  ;o)
Well I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for ya!!
Hi there! Thank you for the suggestion on the book.  I have the same thing as you're describing.  But not every month..i THINK it's only when I ovulate on the right side..and i am crampy  for the last 14 days of my cycle..sore boobs, REALLY sore nipples and lots of sharp pains on the right.  I am wondering if there's something wrong with me too! by the way the right side is my tube that had the ectopic in it last Aug.  I'm going to look for that book! Thanks again! =)
I wanted to let you know that I started having that same problem 5 years ago.  I started out being a few days late then a few weeks.  I was frustrated because all pregnancy tests were negative and I had no idea what was happening.  I finally found a doctor that tested my Progesterone level on day 21 of my cycle which revealed that I was not ovulating.  I was given the diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  It sounds like you might be in the early stages of the same thing.  The good news is that there are medications available that really help with this.  Basically it is a problem with hormones.  I recommend that you look into this if you keep having the problems that you are having.  An Endocrinologist is your best bet for a doctor that should know how to take care of this.  I hope this helps.  I know that when I started on the medication, which is called Glucophage or Metformin, AF started visiting very regularly again.
I am not supposed to start my period for 15 days and I have severe cramping today... A year ago I stopped the depo shots and the last 2 months I have just started having periods again with severe lower back aches on day before I start... I am concerned why I am cramping now... anyone have any suggestions?  It would be greatly appreciated.... It cramps on left side more and hurts when I sit down because of pressure... Doesn't hurt to urinate, but when I release it theres sharp pains in my abdomin (abdomen).... Thank you for all your help.....
I was scheduled to get my next Depo shot on April 4th, but decided to go off of it since I had spotting during the entire 6 months of being on it.  I had spotting for about 2 weeks after stopping, but have not yet had a period.  Should I be worried?  I felt a little "crampy" about 1-1/2 weeks ago, but still nothing.  Thanks!
i have the same issue i had unprotected sex the day of ovulation and noe i have slight cramps about 3 day after i dont kow wha that mean i am not suppose to get my period for two more weeks...i am worried, my husband is calmer but he looked it up and said this is a sign
My periods are also irregular and my cycle is between 34-40+ days and it lasts for about a week. Very painful cramps! I had a hysterosalpinogram and tested negative for everything so I guess some bodies are just made a little different. So do not get discouraged!
I have had cramping all day and i am pretty sure that i am ovulating i had sex with my husband on 5th and today is the 7th could it be fertile? i dont know how long sperm lasts and i dont know if its certain please help me i want a baby so bad.
Sperm can live up to 72 hours! Good luck! :)
Thought it's the egg that can last 12-72 hours and the sperm 5 days
My doctor said the egg lasts 12-24 hours and the sperm lasts around 72 hours...
I was spotting during ovulation, well I started spotting on the first day of ovulation the 21st of September with slight cramping and then stopped yesterday the 24th of September. I had intercourse with my husband on the 20th and then last night. I am nervous. Even if you are spotting can you still get pregnanct during ovulation?
I had one depo shot last december and let it expire, my husband and I have been trying to conceive since then (8 months). After no luck I started using ovulation predictor kits and notice that every time after I ovulate I spot all the way until my next period starts (spot for about 2 weeks till my period starts) Can any of this spotting be due to my one depo shot? Why am I continuously spotting? My husbadn has had a semen analysis done and everything with him is great, something is obviously wrong on my end. Can anyone help or have any advice?
My situation sounds similar to yours.  I have been off of the Pill for over a year and a half as my husband and I have been trying to conceive for 18 months now.  I also use and OPK and after I supposedly ovulate, I spot until my period comes which is about 1.5 - 2 weeks.  I am scared that this is keeping us from getting pregnant because it seems like I don't even have a chance to get pregnant if the spotting starts right after I ovulate and lasts until my period.
i am having similar problems to yourself,went on depo in oct 2004 and it last injection oct 06. I had irregular spotting till then and 17 days ago had my first period. I am now experiencing spotting and concerned as this is supposed to be just after i have ovulated.
My cycles are 25 days long, my last period was oct. 13, i ovulated around oct 27, with o spotting all month, not even after ovulating. well being that i have a 25 day cycle ALWAYS, means i should have began my next cyce today which has yet to come! But have had some slight sharp short cramps the last few days, but dont have or feel the usual regular "bloated" feeling before my period comes. I tested negative for pregnancy tonight, does anyone know how much longer i will have to wait to test again? Will it take longer to detect hcg levels and hormones since my cycles are so short? I hope this gives everyone out there having problems with post depo hope, just give it time and the spotting will wear off.
if your period has still not arrived in three days time then they say that is the next time to do a test.Hope this helps
Hi, my partner and I started trying to conceive from the 14th of january and stopped the 21st. My periods are usually anywhere from a 31-34 day cycle so ovulation time was predicted around the 19th. I have been experiencing cramping and breast soreness and tingling and wondering if these could be early signs of pregnancy as I am not do to start my period until sometime around the 1st or 2nd of February (my 30th birthday!) Are these symptoms to early to be showing yet or maybe pre-menstrual though it seems far to early for those yet. Please help!
HI there,
i went off the pill over six months ago. I am experiencing incredibly painful cramps during ovulation. I have had them for about 6 days so far all day and all night. I am also trying to conceive at this time. I am using the ovulation kit for the first time. i am worried that these bad cramps might prevent getting pregnant. i also dont know if my period is coming early or if i am just ovulating? my cycle is irregular since going off the pill ranging from 21-28 days. Anyone with any answers would be so helpful.
thank you:)
Oy.  My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 10 months but something ain't working.  My cycles are anywhere from 28 to 43 days long (I've had 8 cycles in 10 months). Right now I'm on CD 27 and haven't ovulated or had my BBT spike yet and I generally have 12-14 days after my BBT rises before my period, which means I'm on track for another long cycle.  My doctor doesn't seem worried, but my body is all over the place.  I have LH surges for long periods of time without any actual ovulation or BBT spike.  Anyone out there have any wisdom on this?
I found this on another site trying looking up the medical word Mittleschmerz. It means mid-cycle pain. I'm having the same symptoms, however I can feel from which ovary I've released an egg from. I believe I've released an egg from both ovaries. I felt pain on the left earlier this week combined with EWCM and light spotting one time. Now I'm feeling pain on my right side combined with the EWCM, but no spotting. I think this is a good thing I'm PRAYING for TWINS:) So hopefully both eggs have been fertilized as my husband and I have been having sex everyday since the 13th and my family has a history of hyperovulation.     (((((Sticky baby DUST:) ))))) to ALL.
You need to have your doctor test your progestrone level, if your progestrone level is too low, you will not have a period. I had this suggested to me about 4 months and the lady that told me about this was absolutely right. The doctors never even thought to check my progestrone level.

But as I have learned in the past few months, just because you have a period doesn't meant that you ovulated. You could have a disorder called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which prevents you from ovulating ever, without treatment. This hormone disorder can never be cured, but can be treated and most of the time, having a child with treatment is successful..

I now progestrone 10 days a month, and take gluchopaghe every day and I try to follow the Glycemic Index Diet as close as I can. I also just took my first dose of Clomid on July 9-13, still no peroid, but some cramping, headaches, and nausea. I pray that this is it, this is the miracle we have been waiting for...
I also wanted to say that Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (syndrome) I have been told is a precursor to Diabeties, because your body no longer knows how to process sugar, and insulin, without treatment, you can and will get sick with Diabeties, and or Heart Disease.
I to have a lot of cramping during ovulation.  I am 41 years old and have 2 children. On husband #2 who has no biological children and is 26.  My cycle is every 25 days almost to the minute.  I'm using the Answer ovulation kit this time.  Weve been trying to get pregn for a year.  While using the test, I found that I ovulate about 3 days later than indicated on the free ovulation calendar. Since cramping, I normally would not have sex with my husband during that time. Pushed thru it this time.  Wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on my age and if cramping during ovulation after days after could cause problem becoming pregnant.
I had my first IUI 9 days ago. I did back to backs as well. Since my first IU,I I have had some sharp pains and cramping on my left side, I believe I ovulated from this side because I felt a small popping 24 hours after I had my lh surge. I thought this cramping would dissappear by now but it hasn't. I'm apprehensive about calling the doctor because I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid, altho, this has never happened to me before. ANy suggestions?
I have cramping in my right side and had some spotting the week after my period...I just got off birth control and I was actually worried I had a cyst or something but it seems like maybe it's what everyone else here had?
P.S. forgot to mention I've had this crampy feeling for 3-4 days now. Is that normal? I hope so!
I am 27 and have been on the pill since I was 18. My husband and I decided to come off, since we recently got married. Well, I came off on 7/20, then start a 3 day cycle on 7/23 (very light, lighter then being on the pill). I have been all over the place and since last night, i have had this mild cramp on my left side. It freaked me out, but then a friend told me she could feel when she ovulated, so I am thinking that I am ovulating. I also, think it might just be my body getting use to being off the pill since I was on it for so long BUT I think I'm ovulating, b/c my OB told me to "get together" 12 days before your next cycle and Saturday was 12 days 8/8. The cramps started yesterday 8/9 and it's only on my left side. It comes and goes, but I hope I am ovulating b/c we are TTC. Any advice on this? I was thinking it was a cyst, but this seems normal and I am the type to worry, so just not sure what to think.

HELP!!!!

Thanks, Mo
Hello Im 28 and I am married with a little girl that will be 2 at the end of Jan. Anyways we have been ttc baby #2 for over a years now. Well my dr. put me on clomid. Im on my second dose well I had a postitive ovulation test last Tuesday and Im not sure when I actually ovulated. And now I have this achey (achy) feeling not like painful cramps but but just this odd feeling in my lower back and in my stomach. I don't remember all of this happenng but at the same time I didn't think I would get pregnant the same month as we started trying so I wasn't looking for any signs. I need all the help I can get when it comes to this stuff.
hi everyone .. i'm not trying to get preg.. right now .. but if you are i know taking vitex does help .... i've have six children ..... it regulates you and helps your body to naturaly put its hormone levels were they need to be.. it also helps you have less cramping during your cycle....
can anyone help ive been trying for a baby for 15 months but have been unsuccesful but i noticed this time 3 days after ovulation i have cramps in my left side what does this mean can anyone help
If you have cramping about 24 hrs after O does that mean you have not conceived?
Hi me and my husband been trying to get prego well 2weeks ago I had light spotting for like a day now I'm supose to start my menstral cycle today I'm not sure if it is or not I have been crampy too for 2 days I would love to know if I could be prego
Hello everybody I'm new 2 dis my name is vanessa been trying 2 get preggo since my M.c n Dec still nothing had sex yesterday with was my 14th day n2 my cycle now having mild cramps is that normal plz help!! My period have been weird the past few months 2 sumtimes it will last 2days then the next month it will last 3maybe 4day! What's going on when would I olv?? Trying 2 conceive!!
Please help I have read many similar comments relating to cramping after ovulation.  I have been off the pill for 1 year and my husband and I have been trying to conceive during this time.  We have both been to the doctor and had the all clear that we are fertile and I am ovulating. My concern is approximatley three days after ovulation I begin cramping with spotting occuring as well.  This happens for the next 1-2 weeks until I get my period.  What does this mean and does this affect my chances of falling pregnant?  I will appreciate any comments/help!  Thanks
Hi, im on day 23 of a 31 day cycle, ive done a ovualtion predictor on the net and it says im most lkely to O around the 4th- 6th ... the past week ive been geting cramps and my nipples are very sore and so are my breasts ..i had an orgasm the other night and right away i got really bad cramps and couldnt evan have sex ... me & my partner are TTC so any advice would be aprreciated, thanks :)
hi I am wondering if its possible for me to become pregnant only two days after a strange dark brown period which i have at times so i'm used to that. but my boyfriend came in me on new years morning the day my period stopped completely n i believe i ovulated on the 2nd of this month which was the day after we had sex n i've been feeling light cramping since yesterday but its a bit stronger now. my periods r irregular n i have had periods twice in a month but not often. not really ready for a baby caz i'm only 18 n can't really afford it but still can't help but hope i am prego but i'd like to know if i could be or not so i can stop worrying about it.. plz n thanks for any help u can give  n good luck to u all :)
I need a little advice if possible..I've been cramping lower abdomen and have been experiencing dull lower back pain I had my last menstral ending sat 7/16 my husband and I have been trying to concieve (conceive) for about 6months now...could it be that I'm ovulating? Should I get my hopes up?
i m having cramps right now and its 3 days after ovulation i don't no what this means
Fertilization to implantation

The implantation of a fertiziled egg can happen anywhere from 3-12 days after ovulation. In most cases, it happens somewhere between 7-10 days. The journey to implantation is a long one. The process begins when the egg is released from the ovary at ovulation. It is then pushed into the fallopian tube by the movement of hair-like cilia that line the tube. If the sperm is released before or right at ovulation, the egg is fertilized in the fallopian tube. The fertilized egg (zygote) must then begin its journey to the uterus. After about 1-2 days of entering the uterus, the zygote will begin its process of implantation into the uterine lining. From here (if all goes well), it will begin its 9 month process of growing into a baby.
I just turned 41 and I recently started cramping from ovulation to af. my perod is still regular at 27 days. I only have had this pain since we startted ttc so it really makes me wonder. Sure it is my age but it gets annoying at times. Its cramps and backache for like 14 days and it goes away when I start. Natural progesterone helped with it last month so you may want to try that. Good luck