Maternal & Child Community
Crippling Pain - 33 weeks pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Crippling Pain - 33 weeks pregnant

Has anyone every experienced crippling pain in their lower back and down their legs.  It is is the worst at night when I try to sleep.  Started last week and is getting worse and worse.  Last night I actually had to wake my BF up to push me up so that I can go to the bathroom and I was crying in pain.  The baby is fine it all me.  It scares me because my legs go numb and I am afraid of falling or esp when I drive.  I am calling my doctor as soon as they open up today at 9am but I am just curious if anyone else has these problems.  I gained close to 50lbs so I know the extra weight does not help but about 8 years ago when I had a m/c I weighted more then I do now just due to the depression that followed the m/c.  I carried that weight for about 2 years before I became healthy again.  So I dont think it is the weight.
hi there.  sounds very familiar..if you "google"  Pelvic Girdle Pain, you should be able to see some symptoms.  I wore a "belt" for the last 10 weeks of pregnancy.  it helped alot.  i also did accupuncture and took acetaminophen (sp?)  hope this helps...good luck
I am 33 weeks today as well. I have had numbness in my left thigh since I was around 16 weeks. The numbness area is getting bigger as the pregnancy progressing. I have gained 23 pounds so far. So weight gain does not seem play a big role. My doctor tells me that it is because the growing baby is pressing a nerve passing through my pelvic. And also because I had tight abdominal muscles before getting pregnant which holds the baby back tight. She does tell me that if it is getting worse, I should go to see a therapist. So far only the numbness bothers me, I have not had falling legs. I think you should call your doctor and ask for opinions.
It sounds like your sciatic nerve which is very common in preg it is the largest nerve that runs down your lower limbs can cause pain and numbness it is all perfectly normal your little one is just making it act up, it will go away, try streching it helps
Sitting on a yoga ball always helps with mt sciatic pain.  Sounds silly I know.
Thank you all, the doctor just referred me to a chiropractor.  I go on Wed, he said it was very common.  Oh my, it hurts so bad and I have to work.  
It sounds like maybe you have a pinched sciatic nerve. Sometimes I feel like she is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve. Sometimes it really hurts where my butt meets my back. I think what you are experiencing is probably normal. Good luck at the chiro.  I had my shower yesterday, it was great. We got so much stuff-a little overwhelming!! She will be the best dressed baby-we got so many adorable outfits, I hope she gets to wear them all! :)  I hope you are feeling better soon!!
I'm sorry that your in so much pain.  It's funny because, I was going to post today about numbness in the arms but, it's nothing compared to what you are feeling.  I was talking to my mom this weekend about it and she was telling me that one of her co-workers was having twins and that one of the babys were laying on a nerve/vein and causing her leg to be numb.  
I hope the chiropracter helps your back/legs.  It's amazing how much your body goes through during pregnancy.  Let us know how it goes.
If it makes you feel any better, I dont sleep much anymore and can share in the feeling of "wanting to throw something at your sleeping peacfully bf"...lol
I am so glad you got everything at your shower.  It is very overwhelming.  So many presents to open and everyone is looking at you.  :)  Now you get to write out a million Thank You cards :)

This pain is literally crippling me.  I cannot stand up without support from someone.  It is crazy. The worst part is going to the bathroom.  From the standing to sitting position and vice versa.  This may be the worst pain I have felt so far in pregnancy - even worse then recovering from the surgery without meds.  :(

How is your swelling?  We are almost there but this month of March just wont seem to end.
The bf is suffering now too because he can hear me cry and I dont cry unless I think something is wrong with the baby. Last night I was crying...  There is just nothing I can do to make it subside :(

Why are you not sleeping?
Cantwait: Are you working today?  I would assume no.  Maybe if it continues your dr can put you on early disability? Although I'm sure you rather just feel good and work.
gnicole:  I'm glad to hear your baby shower was such a success!  Mine is next weekend, the 31st and I'll be happy when its over. I know i should be looking forward to it but, there is just so much going on that, I just want it to be over. There is so many people that I wont know there, it's almost like a wedding..lol
Have you started working half days already?
btw :  my pain went away immediately after birth, but the sciatica came back.  I went for a MRI on Thursday to see what was causing it.  I am still in pain 3 months later.  I sure hope that you find relief from it real SOON, cuz, it really SUCKS to be in pain and not be able to enjoy each and every day of your pregnancy.  :(  GOOD LUCK!
Aww it must be so terrible. :( Of course he cant sleep during something like that.  I'm just wondering how a chiropracter can help you.  I dont think you can even lay on there tables unless they specialize in pregnancy. I was sitting on a yoga ball this weekend (stepmoms) and it did releave some pressure on my lower half.  It was a noticable weight exchange. I think it might be a good idea for you to try one when your home.

I havent been sleeping because of the numbness in my hands and the pain in my hips. I cant lay on my back obviously, although I try to.  SO I turn to the right, and my arm get so numb and aches.  So I roll over to the left and the same thing happens. I probably wake up every 45-60 minutes. And it doesnt only happen when I'm sleeping.  It'll happen whenever but worst in the night. Like if I'm on my cell phone, my hand that's holding the phone will ache and start to go numb.  Or if I'm holding my purse to tightly (maybe it's a nyc subway thing..lol) it'll do the same. I have a dr's appointment this week so I'll ask her about it.
That is how this started with the hips - One night I timed it and it was every hour on the hour I woke up and had to turn over due to the pain in my hips and then Saturday started that along with the pain going down my legs.  So it made it harder to turn over.  Its crazy what our bodies are doing.

I think this chropractor is for pregnancy the OB had his number memorized in his head when he gave it to me.  That is where he sends all the mom's to be.  Someone else mentioned the yoga ball.  I will have to get one of those.  - Hey I should sit on it at my desk.  :)

This is God's way of preparing us never to sleep again.  hahaha
I start half-days today.  It is a relief because by the end of the day I feel terrible. I am so sorry that you are in such pain. :(  I can't ever sleep either and that is not fun!! I hope you girls are feeling better! :)
That is a very funny image, a very pregnant women, sitting on a yoga ball at her desk, typing away..lol I wish I could be so lucky! lol

I do get the hip pain and it does shoot to my legs, kinda like the numb feeling to but it's never as bad as you described yours to be. I know once I get up from my sleep to use the bathroom, I limp all the way to the bathroom because everything is so stiff.  Then I stretch and almost catch cramps.  You cant win.

On an different topic, have any of you ladies noticed white "stuff" in your nipples.  Haa... what a strange question to ask two women..lol I'm not sure if its milk because it doesnt leak. It's just little white deposits I guess, that I can take out with my nail in the small holes of the nipple.  Sorta the consitancy of lotion.  Maybe its starting.  I'm not sure.  It doesnt happen all the time but, I did notice it when I came out of the shower.

Gnicole: I know it sucks that your swelling so much but, I would really love to trade places with you and leave work half day.  I'm so not here mentally that it's unbelievable. I forget everything.
Yes, the nipple thing has been happening to be for a few months.  More so before then now.  The deposits get hard in there too it freaks me out.  My boobs weight about 3 lbs each they are so heavy.  Not too huge just very full.

I love the "almost" catch cramps.  I know excactly what you mean by that.  You stretch and you can feel one coming and you just sit down like no no no go away go away and most of the time they do.  My body is in so much pain today ARGH!

I cannot wait for these buggers to be born so we have all funny, happy stories about how they throw up on us and stuff. lol

if you have a "medical supply store, you should ask about the pregnancy belt.  if your pain extends past your knee, it is likely sciatica, but if it stops at your knee or above it is Pelvic Girdle Pain.  Chiropractor only helped for my sciatica.  i had horrible Pelvic Girdle Pain, I literally would have to hold my legs together while trying to roll over in the night.  it was awful, and thought it was sciatica, but someone on this forum told me about PGP and the symptoms were very similar to sciatica pain, accupunture worked best.  
here is a link with info about pgp
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/pelvicgirdlepain/

here are the symptoms:

The pain is often one sided and may be concentrated in the buttock area. It may appear to jump from side to side or be accompanied by a general back pain or Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD). It can send shooting pains into your buttocks or down the back of your legs. If the pain is accompanied by pins and needles or numbness and extends further than your knee, it may be sciatica rather than PGP. You may also have pain in your hips. One or both of your legs may feel very weak and you may not be able to lift your legs, particularly when lying down.

i hope this info helps...
I am at work just because there is nothing I can do at home to feel better.  It hurts there too :(
Thank you so much, the pain shoots down both legs.  I did buy the pregnancy belt but DUH I didn't even think to start wearing it yet.  I will right away.

My pregnancy was/is horrible so I never got to enjoy it anyway but I am enjoying the fact that he/she will be in my arms in about 6 weeks then I will really enjoy it :)

Thank you very much.