Maternal & Child Community
Crying spells after giving birth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Crying spells after giving birth

Hi everyone, i gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last friday, I have felt fine until yesterday...I keep on crying for no reason!  Is this normal?? I suffer from depression and am hoping that this not post partum...has anyone had this happen to them?  Thanks for any imput.

Kelly
First off congrats!!! They do say that the drastic shift in hormones causes some crying fits, depression etc. If you have these feeling for over 2 weeks tho it deserves closer attn and may be a sign of post partum depression. Let your OB know.
First off, congrats on your new arrival!!!  I remember with my son I cried a lot too, not sure if it was sleep deprival, overwhelming emotions, or crazy hormones.  I did let my Dr. know and she assured me it was normal, but to keep an eye on it.  If you have a history of depression though, I would just call your Dr. and let them know.  It never hurts to get their opinion and if you can take something to make it better, why not.  It may help you to relax and enjoy your little one more, just a thought, my sil went in and took something after hers because she had a history of depression.  Your poor body and you have been through so much in the last week, it's totally understandable.  Hope you feel better soon, and enjoy your little bundle!
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!

I haven't had a baby yet so I don't have any advice but I wanted to give you my best wishes and I pray that you and your DD are safe!  What did you name her?
thanks guys, i just recieved an email back from my doc. she said it was normal and that she would send my info om post partum...its just scary when you cry for no reason..lol
CONGRATS on your little one!  That is great!  As for the crying, it may very well be post partum depression.  Tell your dr.
Good for you, you contacted your Dr.  Did you have those spells when you were pregnant?  I know I have them now, can't help those hormones, but it is so worth it!
COngratulations! I just wanted you to know, that about 4 days after I gave birth, I also had what they call the baby blues! I cried all the time and felt so down in the dumps. My theory is a combination of things: a huge and sudden drop in hormones, lack of sleep, and a majoe adjustment to a lifestyle change (at least for me, I went from full time career to at-home-mama). It will pass, hang in there! Talk to your OB if it doesn't, it's very common! :)
Congrats!
I was fine until my DD hit about 3 months old and then I would find myself crying all the time. very little thing she did seemed to set me off. Maybe it was the lack of sleep, hormones or just trying to be supper mom and wife and keeping the house perfect? All I know is it took me some time to relise it was ok to ask for help when I was feeling overwhelmed and let the MIL take the little one so I could have some me time.
And it was also ok that the house did not look perfect when my DH got home from work....I was not being lazy if the laundry did not get done....I was busy being a mom.
Somtimes that is hard to remember when they are new borns and not doing much...but you are!
Good luck and cry when you feel like it.....it helps to just let you feel how you feel!
Congratulations on your baby girl. Yes, what you're going through is normal, but not healthy I guess you could say. Best to go to your Dr. and get treated. This sounds like a good ole' case of PPD. I had it after my DD and they gave me a shot in my butt cheek and I was GREAT within 24 hours lol. Now don't ask what in the world it was because I have no clueeeeeee but it was awesome, and I felt better and all the crying went away. I used to sit and cry because I was crying. And i've seen where it only gets worse and worse with women until they get treated. So congrats on the baby and go to the Doc so you can feel better :)
Thanks everyone, I named her Ava Elizabeth, and she is so beautiful!  I do have an apointment with the doc on Monday so thats good.  I have been home since i got out of the hospital so I went out to the grocery store today just to get out and i feel better.  Ava is a week old today so I def needed to get out!  Thanks again for all of your advice and storys, it helps to know im not alone.
you know its so normal to have very scary thoughts after del of a baby. i remember thoughts i would have never shared with people. somedays i cried and wanted my baby to go with someone else. i finally talked to my girlfriends and they said they had felt that way at one time or another in the beginning as well. sleep deprivation doesnt help.  you know the weather is getting better maybe you could get your little angel in a stroller and go for a walk. being cooped up in the house when your not used to it with little person you now are responsible for and hormones going wacky would make anyone cry! do discuss options with your dr since you stated you suffer from depression prior to birth. its only been a week it will be easier as you develope a schedule and feel more relaxed! congrats to you and your bundle of joy!
Congrats!  I too cried and cried and cried about a week after my son was born.  The day my mom left I started crying.  My husband would ask what was wrong and I just said I didnt know.  It is completely normal.  Mine went away and then I started again when he was about 3-4 months for some reason.  You are experiencing what alot of moms experience.  Keep in touch with your doctor and if you get worse or start have irrational thoughts contact someone.  I dont think that will happen, but keep it in check and you will be fine.
i cried everyday for 2 weeks after the birth of my dd.  between the hormones, sore bbs from nursing, sleep deprivation, and hemmoroids (hemorrhoids), I couldnt take it.  I know that they say past the 2 weeks, they consider it post partum but mine was up to the day reaching 2 weeks then I slowly started to get emotionally better.  hang in there.  
if it goes past the 2 weeks, tell your dr.