At my 12 week sonogram, the sonographer noticed a cystic hygroma on the fetus that extended from the neck area down and all around the torso. The doctor and genetic counselor were not very optimistic regarding the prognosis of the pregnancy. I was told that a cystic hygroma is the result of chromosomal defects in 50% of cases. I did countless hours of research on the internet and everything I read was not positive.
At 14 weeks, I had another sonogram and the results were good....the cystic hygroma appeared to be resolving itself and was present on the neck and back areas only. I'm going for an amnio next week, but I wanted to know if there was anyone out there that is currently going through or had a similar situation or knows of someone who did.
I wasn't very hopeful after leaving the genetic counselor two weeks ago, but with the news at our 14 week sonogram, I left the doctor's office with tears of happiness....I have hope now.
Believe me, I know all about feeling scarred and concerned about hearing bad news from an u/s. My situation is a little different though... The u/s tech and dr. found choroid cysts on the brain of my little one on friday at my level2 u/s. Which could lead to downs syndrom (syndrome) if they dont go away by the 22nd week. I am 17 wks preggo. I had an amnio the same day and Im waiting on pins and needles for the results.
Im happy for you the second test came back ok you must feel soooo much better. Good luck and keep me posted.
I am sorry that you are going through this. I was preggo with identical twin girls and on my 9th week u/s they saw a cystic hygroma on the back of one of my babies neck. I got preggo with IVF and the doctors told me that it wasn't good news because they were noticing that at a very early stage of pregnancy. The specialist told my and dh that it looked that there was a chance that I was carrying girls and that if I was that my baby probaby had turner sydromes. Well at 16wks they did a amnio and the results came back that one of my babies had turners and the other one was ok. Well my babies cysts was so big and she had adema all over her body and had fluid in her lungs. I lost my babies at 23wks of gestation. The doctors were hopeful that if my baby with turners were to pass in utero that my other baby would make it, but on my 23wk u/s both my girls didn't have a heartbeat. I hope your news are a lot better than mines were. I know that there are a lot of cases when they see a cyst of somekind on the baby and weeks later they find out that it had resolved. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you get to hold your baby in your arms... God bless you and your baby and husband
Thanks for sharing your story with me. I am very sorry for your loss, that is just terrible. I am going for an amnio tomorrow 9/15. I will post to let you know the outcome. At my 14 week sono, the sonographer was able to tell it is a girl, so it is possible she has Turner's Syndrome.
I am in the very same situation except my dr told me that there is a chance that my baby may not survive because there is a lot of blood in my uterus! I was wondering if you have had or have anything like this in yours as well?? Please get back to me i would really appreciate it thank you!
When I was 12 weeks pregnant, my daughter was diagnosed with a 5.6 cm (mm?) CH. I had a 2nd measurement done 3 days later and it was up to 5.9. I was given only a 30% change of a healthy baby. It was torture to wait for each test result, but they kept coming back OK. We didn't know what to think. But I am right now holding my perfectly
HEALTHY 3 month old. It can be OK and often is. Just because the odds are tilted toward poor outcomes, it doesn't mean you'll be on that side. It is so painful to g through a scary diagnosis, but remember that there are perfectly healthy babies who had fetal CMs. Good luck to everyone.
At about ten weeks our baby had a cystic hygroma and we were told to have an abortion. Our healthy baby was born at 37 weeks. Don't give up too easy! Ask for a second opinion or wait before making a tragic mistake!
Hi everyone. I was just told last week at my 11 week US that my baby has a 4mm CH on its neck. I am so scared. Every week I have received bad news. At 7 weeks I began bleeding and it was found that I had a subchorionic hemorrhage, then a week later I found out I have a bicornuate uterus (heart shaped) and now a CH. I feel like i am becoming depressed over all this. I am going next week for 12 week screen. Because I am high risk I am not going to have the amnio or CVS because it can cause miscarriage. I'm not really sure what to do. I lost one baby alreay at 28 weeks due to placenta abruption andbaby had potter's syndrome.
I had the NT test last week on my 11.5 weeks, it came with Cystic Hygroma but when I asked the doctor if there was a chance that it was a false positive she basically told me that she tought the baby had chromosomal problems based on what she had seen. The worst part was that she didn't give me anything to work with, no numbers, no size, no stadistics ... nothing... We were completelly depressed until we talk to my doctor who said that the ultrasound can't be definitive... that we had to go for futher testing if we wanted to... I'm keeping my hopes up... And I'm going to a specialist to make futher testing. Best of luck to everyone!
Hi, I am new to the sight. I am 41 and surprise I became preggo. I was excited but that ended quickly when the 11 wk sono revealed a 4.5 nuchal fold. I had a cvs which was normal and we were given an 80% chance that the baby was totally normal. Nothing else was said regarding the fluid behind the neck. I went into my 16 wk ultrasound with optimism, but was cautious. To my surprise the doctor said the baby's measurements and organs so far looked perfect. Then they dropped the bombshell. The fluid had not disappeared and was now called a cystic hygroma. They just said it was large. The doctor felt good that the rest of the baby looked good and said that the CH could resolve and lead to a normal baby. He then put me in touch with the genetic c. She was very pessimistic and was putting pressure on me to get tested for noonans and sma. She also mentioned that having the baby would be a risk because all syndromes cannot be found inutero. I left there with pamphlets on termination and making hard decisions. She mentioned that I had two kids to think about and some parents feel that it's best to end the unknown. I am very confused now and don't know what to do. My husband and I had already decided to end the pregnancy if anything bad was found. Things are different without information. Does anyone have any advice for me??
hi my name is caitlin i am in my 15th week of pregnancy and i was told in my 12th week that my child was diagnosed with cystic hygroma and that it looked already that it was in the stage of hydrops that it would die because fluid would build up around the heart. i was heartbroken when they told me this.The genetic counselor told me that termination was an option and that she did not want to give us false hope but this is my fist pregnancy and the father said that termination was not an option so we are still hoping for a miracle. if the child passes than it will not pass at my hands it will go on its own and thats how we feel. Many people say they will pray but i feel that the only thing i can do is go to church and that is what i am doing tomorrow. if you want to talk my number is 843-599-6658 feel free to txt .
-thanks for reading and just have hope.
Let me tell you all it is comforting to know that I am not the only one going through this....This is my story. Im 33 yrs old with 2 boys ine 4 and the other 1. I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks and at 6 weeks I was diagnosed with a subchorionic hemorrhage. At 8 weeks I had an ultrasound done and they found out I was carrying twins to our amazement. At 11 weeks I had my first trimester appt when the OB dr told me that one of my twins demised, twin A. I was immediately scheduled for a STAT ultrasound to confirm the demise of the twin and to make sure the other baby was developing normally. That day I was already grieving the loss of our other baby when the dr called with the result of the ultrsound. She told me the Twin B has a chromosomal defect and she advises us to see a perinatal specialist. So the next day we did she confirmed that twin A demised and Twin B has a cystic hygroma and a nuchal notch measuring 3.8 which she is giving us a prognosis if 90% that Twin B will turn out unhealthy with either Downs, Turners, heart defect. Immediately with the poor prognosis my husband wants to terminate but I know seeing that baby I have to give him or her a chance so I am scheduled next week to see the genetic counselor and then scheduled in 5 weeks for my amniocentesis. I am still hoping on that 10% our baby will live a healthy and normal life....I will be praying for all of you along with myself in having a good outcome
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.