Maternal & Child Community
Cystic Hygroma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cystic Hygroma

Hi my name is Jenny, I'm 39 and I'm 9 weeks pregnant with my first!! I had an my first US at 7 weeks just to hear the heartbeat and make sure everything was OK because I miscarried 2 years ago at 8 weeks!! I just had another US last Monday and they saw fluid behind the baby's neck and called it a "cystic hygroma" and sent me to a perinatal specialist the next day for an US to confirm that is what it was and he confirmed it!! I'm having a CVS(chorion villa sampling) this Wed to figure out if it's something chromosomal wrong with the baby!! I'm terrified!! Is there anyone who has gone through this?? They said there is a chance that this can just resolve itself!! But there is the other side of the picture, it could be Down's or Turners sydrome!! I guess it is in GOD's hands and there is nothing I can do...I just hope and pray everything will turn out alright!!
Hi Jen! I'm not to sure about any of that. I've never gone through that. I just wanted to tell you to be strong, and have faith! You will be in my thoughts and prayers! God Bless you!
I have two friends this has happened to, one friend's baby had fluid on the back of the neck show up in a 12 week scan, she was terribly worried all the way through her pregnancy, she went for the extra normality tests but still the results were unconclusive, she went on to give birth to a healthy baby with no medical issues what so ever.
My other friend had a perfectly fine pregnancy, no bleeding, no cramps, all scans appeared normal, she gave birth to her beautiful son who has downs sydrome nine months ago now, he has other problems as well, including heart defects but she loves and adores this gorgeous little fellow just as any mother would for her child.
My advice to you would be to have normality tests done where possible, try and stay positive and talk to your partner about other options you may have, keep in mind the first sign of fluid may not always lead to complications, take all the help and advice you can from the medical proffession.
thoughts and prayers are with you
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hello, I have a 4 year old daughter who has turners syndrome. I found out the same way you did. My daughter had a cystic hygroma and she also had hydrops. I did not have any testing done while I was pregnant that could have compromised the pregnancy. The cystic hygroma did eventually almost completely go away, but she has some webbing around her neck still.She is a very happy child and turners syndrome does come with some extras to deal with, but she is worth it.She dosen't really look or act any different than other children. The hardest part was by far the pregnancy, I had ALOT of bleeding on and off, lots of drs appts, and it was totally stressful. I do know that it is very hard sitting where you are right now, and the news you recieved DOES NOT mean you won't have a happy healthy baby!!! At least you would know to plan for a girl turners children can only be a girl. There is lots of help for choldren with turners syndrome, and their life expectancy is the same as any one else.I was told to abort my daughter, because our casewas so severe.I would love to talk to you some more !!
When I was 9 weeks pregnant I had an ultrasound and they saw cystic hygroma on the back of the neck down to the butt. He also had hydrops in the stomach. We were very upset, they told us that it could be turners or downs. They didn't give us much hope. I had to go back to the specialist at 15 weeks, and all of the hygroma and hydrops were gone.  I have had many check ups since and it has stayed gone. We are so thankful.  We has an amnio and all came back good too. We are having a healthy baby boy the specialist said. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I will keep you in my prayers.
THANKS to everyone for the info, thoughts and prayers...I have my CVS tomorrow, I changed my appointment from Fri...I couldn't wait, it's the waiting that is soooo stressful!! I'll keep you all posted when I get my results!! JENNY :)
Our baby was diagnosed with cystic hygroma and nuchal fold reading of 3.9 mm (abnormal). We had a CVS last week and the preliminary results show no problems with chromosomes 21 (Down's Syndrome), 13, 18 or the sex chromosomes (Turner's Syndrome) -- these four things were the major concerns for the doctor. It's so hard to do, but keep the faith that everything will be OK. I have learned so much about cystic hygromas through online research and meetings with our genetic counselor, but in the end things are looking OK for our baby. If you ever need to talk, feel free to e-mail me at ***@****.
Hi, I am currently 13 weeks pregnant, and on Monday I had my first ultrasound. Unfortunately the ultrasound detected that my baby had a CH on the back of his neck. I was and still am severly upset. I don't know what to expect, I've been doing research on the internet and everything I read about this genetic disorder is horrible. Seeing the genetic counselors didn't make me feel any better, she was very cold, and straightforward letting me know that she truly doubted that I carried this baby to full term. She even suggested me terminating my pregnancy. I am so worried I feel like I'm going to go insane!! I am going for my amnio on April 7th, I am already fearing for the worst. I am trying to stay positive, but it's really hard.
Hi everybody...It's me, Jenny!! Well sad to say that I went in for my CVS on Wed and the US showed no heartbeat!! We were heart broken!! However, we always felt it was in God's hands and he made the decision for US!! It's never easy though!! I had a D&C yesterday and I was dreading it, I just wanted it to be over!! I ended up losing it crying hysterically right before they took me into the OR!! I just want to say you will be in my thoughts and prayers and I have done extensive research on cystic hygroma, it happens in 1 in 200 pregancies!! So if anyone wants to email me directly just to talk or find out more about it...PLEASE do at  ***@**** and India please let me know how you make out on April 7th...I'll be thinking of you...JENNY
This is all new to me. I went at 12 weeks for the sono and they found what they thought was the Cystic Hygroma I went to the specialist (Baylor Hospital in Garland, Texas) on Tuesday and it was confirmed. There is Cystic Hygroma and the hydrops. My husband and I had spent a week researching this. Yes.... it is very scary. He said that I have to come back weekly and do sonos to check for the heartbeat. HE gave us nothing more than a 30% chance of this baby making it to term. I go for and Amneo in two weeks for them to check to chromosones. If it has Cystic Hygroma only it has a 30% chance. If it has the CH with Turner's it is a 10% chance. If it is CH with anything else it is a 0% chance, and they they terminating it would be the best idea. In my opinion it is crappy odds, but we have to hope for the best. That is all that we can do. He said that thje CH can resolve on it's own and we should be okay, so that is what we are hoping for. I guess we will know in two weeks. :) I wish anyone and everyone that has gone through this is best. I know the boat that you guys are in. It's almost like a cruel waiting game. Never knowing if there is a heartbeat or not. But reading the things that you guys have put down have given some hope and it is much appreciated. Thank you. :)