Maternal & Child Community
Cytotec (misoptotol) used to induce m/c at 12 weeks...any advice now?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Thank you for reading this.  I had a missed m/c last thursday. I should have been 12 weeks but the baby passed away at 6 1/2 weeks.
It wasnt a total shock because we had been following growth with ultrasounds and I knew there could be a problem. Nonetheless, it was still very hard.  I had assumed I would have a D&C because that what I thought was normal.  Since it had been 5 weeks and I hadnt passed it on my own.
Well, my dr. wanted me to use cytotec to avoid a surgery. I didnt know any different so I did on thursday night. I was the worst thing I have EVER gone through in my entire life physically. (worse than recovery after my c-section).
Anywya, here i am 7 days later still bleeding pretty heavy and passing a few clots of blood/lining. I did have an u/s monday and everything is gone and my cervix was empty. The tech said my lining was  alittle thick yet but the dr. said it was normal esp since I was still bleeding.
Does anyone know when this will STOP! I'm still crampy and bleeding and I cant take it much more. I just want this to be OVER!!  I go in Monday for f/u bloodwork- my levels were 4007 on monday so I know they were still pretty high..but for crying out loud. I am not bleeding that heavy that I'm worried...only about 7 pads/day...so just a heavy AF type.  I Just need this to be over. My husband and I want to try again right away since it took 9 months to conceive #2 and I'm ready to move on.
Thanks for reading.  I was hoping maybe someone knows someone who took this or had any input.
Thanks again!
I am soo sorry you had to go through this!  I hate it when Dr.s act like Cytotec (and the like) are a better option than surgery!  A D&C is such minor surgery and you are usually OK in 2 days! It is barbaric to ask women to go through the physical and emotional stress of a chemically induced m/c.  It really gets me mad.  m/c is stressful enough but then to add weeks of painful physical reminders of what is happening is simply CRUEL!  I never had a chmically induced m/c (I had d&C) but I know people who have.  For some it lasted up to 3 weeks to be over. I really hope you feel better soon.  I personally would give my Dr. hell for putting me through that.  They are NOT gods and deserve to be told when they do wrong!  Again...hope you feel better soon.
Thank you very much for making me feel justified in my feelings. It was terrible. I told her that I would never take that stuff again and I wish she had given me a D&C and kinda of let her have it. And she looked at me like I had 3 heads. I have a call in to them because I'm really worried that I need a D&C now or something could be wrong.
Just waiting to hear back.
I'm sorry for your loss.  I also took cytotec for a m/c that I didn't pass at 11 weeks.  It was pretty intense, I kinda wish I had been given something for the pain because it does feel a lot like labor.  I really did not want the D&C though since I wanted to try again ASAP.  IT took me a little over 2 weeks of reallyheavy bleeding and then it stopped, I got my period almost immediatle after, but got pregnant again right after that.  My m/c was last June.  I hope you feel better and use a heating pad on your abdomen, that really helped even more so than the ibuprofen.
I am really sorry to hear about your m/c, and your continuing problems with cytotec.  I took cytotec last December.  I had terrible back pain (like back labor I would guess) but no other problems.  For me, this drug worked just fine.  My doctor didn't want to risk a D&C because there is always a chance of scarring that could impede future conception.  For her, cytotec was the first step.

The good news is that we conceived three weeks after the m/c.  And we had tried for 6-7 months to conceive the baby we m/c'ed.  

I understand you just want it all to be over.  Hopefully the dr. will have good news for you about your declining HCG levels when you return!
I didn't even have to finish reading your post.  I also used Cyotec, and it was a nightmare.  I bled for a total of 8 weeks, on and off labor type cramps on any given day....went through almost 2 full bottles of narcotics.  I felt like I would never be normal again.  I would NEVER consider that route again.  Recovery would have been weeks earlier if I had a DandC.

I am sooooo sorry you are experiencing this!  It will be over, and you will return to normal.  I took it last Sept, and was pg again w/in 2 cycles....I am now 24 weeks w/a boy.  Take care, I'll be thinking of you.
Oh my gosh..I'm so sorry for all of you. I used to come here a lot before I got pg but got so obsessed with it that I had to stop.  The first month I temped and use OPK's we got pg w/ our second baby, which is the one we just lost.
I recognize some of you ladies from last year when I would come here.
I really wish I would have had a chance to hear stories about this before I took it. I go in monday for b/w to check my levels so hopefully they have come down a lot. I dont have any pain any longer...just heavy bleeding and clotting stuff.
So i'm sure its doing what its supposed to.

I am not waiting a cycle afte rthis though and hope that I'll be able to chart and be blessed with a healthy baby soon!.

Thank you again so very much. I feel much more relaxed and re assured now.
I took cytotec on Tuesday Dec. 8th, I took my first dose at 8:10pm and the cramping started not even 10 mins later and the bleeding started 50 mins later. Today is Sunday, Dec. 13th and I am still experiencing cramping and passing large clots.  I had a natural m/c  back in May and it was a very different experience...much less cramping and clotting.  I want to know how long the painful cramping and clot passing lasts?  I expected to be passed the cramping by now and just dealing with residual bleeding for the next few weeks.  I am glad for not having a D&C though.  I would rather muddle through this than risk scar tissue  and the possibility of having difficulty getting pg.  I just want to know how long is it normal to have the crqmping and clot passing?
I was thinking & believing I was 12 weeks pregnant as up until today. I went for ultrasound this morning and there was no baby - I was diagnosed as blighted ovum - been upset all day. I was offered cyto & or a d&c tomorrow. (yes on Christmas eve...) I am extremely a disaster!!! I gave blood at hospital and am awaiting results now however if cytotec causes a whole lot of pain etc.... I am wondering if I will b able to deal with my 3 other children etc.... Since their father is overseas... This has been an awful day. ;0(
I'm so sorry for you.  I hope you are feeling better & have made it through everything ok.  It's tough when you think you are so far along only to find out otherwise.  I think either decision is tough, but you sound like a strong gal.  Hopefully you will breeze past this & move on to a healthy pregnancy when you are ready.  After my blighted ovum, Cam was a little surprise, got pregnant about 5 weeks after my m/c-- he's 2 & 1/2.  A wonderful little handful.  Take care.