D & C too early at 5 weeks?
I was just at the doctor's office yesterday and the ultrasound only showed a gestational sack.  I had an LH surge Feb 7, so I'm guessing that I ovulated anywhere between Feb 8-10, making me 5 weeks 1-4 days during the ultrasound.  My hcg levels that day were 5500.  The doctor ordered an ultrasound from a radiologist for tomorrow to see if there's anything other than the gestational sack and already scheduled me for a D & C for next Tuesday.  

Should I postpone this D & C?  I don't know if it's normal to not see more than a gestational sack at this time, but why would a very experienced doctor have doubts that this is a viable pregnancy?  He immediately mentioned "blighted ovum" to me.  Isn't it too early to assume a blighted ovum?  I haven't had any bleeding and have all of the pregnancy symptoms.  I just don't want to make a huge mistake.
I would say you want another blood test to see if your hcg levels went up or down before I'd let them do a d&c. That does seem a bit hasty to me. I've heard lots of stories where there was just a sac and then a week or two later a heartbeat.
I wish you rather wait too, am sure you are in no rush.
I would not let them do that. I agree with the first post. Ask for another blood test and also a ultrasound. Or I would get another opinion from another doctor.
Thank you so much everyone for your responses.  I cancelled the D & C and I'm going to give the baby some time to grow till at least 8 weeks before I make any major decisions.  In the meantime, I'm going to look for a new doctor.
Def hold on.. I only saw a sac too at 5weeks.. Went bk two weeks later and there was my babes.. Hes now 9 months old :) x
How is it going? Any bleeding?
Ok so I have some good news.   I got a second opinion and the radiologist found the yolk sac at 5weeks 4-6 days!  They said that the size and shape is normal.  My hcg levels have been doubling:  1500 -  3000 - 6000 every 2-3 days.  Progesterone level is 26.  No bleeding and no cramps.  The previous doctor was too quick to diagnose so early and had me hysterical for nothing.
Brill news hun :) congratulations!!! Doctors dont always know best!!! X
That is wonderful news! I am so happy for you! And so happy you got that second opinion!
It was good that you hesitated. Dome of these doctors really are in theverong profession,  they take pple 's lives as just statistics. Am really happy for you and enjoy each each day as it comes.
That sounds like a lawsuit to me. What if you would have gone with the d&c. Something should be done about that Dr. I would be pissed! But great news for you nevertheless!
Baking,  I agree with you and had all of those thoughts enter my mind too.  It's scary how many doctors out there make serious mistakes.  In my situation, even the nurse backed up the doctor.  I had asked her what are the chances that the doctor could be wrong and there really is a yolk sac...she said the chances are slim to nothing.  Anyway, in the ultrasound you not only see the yolk sac but you can see the baby too.  Next week I have an appointment with a new doctor and hopefully I'll see the heartbeat!  I'll keep everyone updated.  Thank you all for your great support!