Maternal & Child Community
D and C, anesthesia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

D and C, anesthesia

Hi everyone,
first of all happy new year to all of you.
I have a question about D&C procedure. is there anyway I ask my doctor not to give me general anesthesia during the D&C. Dont laugh at me, but I have this phobia that I think I wont wake up again if I get anesthesia. How else i can go through the procedure?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
173939_tn?1333221450
I had to have a D&C twice, after an IUD pregnancy and after an ectopic pregnancy. Both times it was done with local anesthesia only. I believe if your doctor works in a hospital setting, they may prefer to do it under general anesthesia for their own sake. Mine were done in Ob/gyn offices though where general anesthesia is not an option anyway. See what they have to say. And check your pain tolerance, too. It is not a piece of cake...
Blank
Hi, you could do sidation pill.  I did it and you don't really remember much.
Blank
Thanks. I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday. I will ask about my options.
Blank
93654_tn?1247502934
I think they can give you a mild sedative instead, but I'm glad both of mine were done under general anesthesia, as was my hysteroscopy and my laparoscopy. Explain your concerns to your doc, and see if you have other options. But if you do have the general, you will realize there was nothing to worry about.
Blank
I have to have a d & c for retained placental fragments.  I am also scared to death of being put under.  I won't even take a tylenol for pain and have natural childbirth.  Is is crazy of me to not want pain meds for my d &C, what are my other options besides general anesthesia?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank