Maternal & Child Community
DD always pulls at her ears

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

DD always pulls at her ears

My 8 month old is always pulling at her ears.  I have taken her in once for it and her ears were clear.  My son had chronic ear infections, but Anna has only had 2.  However, one of them was at her 6 month check-up when she was showing no symptoms at all.  I was shocked to find out her ears were infected.  She has been pulling at both ears a lot lately, but is sleeping fine and has no fever.  She did have a slightly runny nose yesterday.  My question is should I take her to the doctor?  She is so laid back that she could feel bad and I would never know.  I just keep thinking about her 6 month check-up but I am really bad about taking my kids to the doc for nothing!!  They probably laugh about me when I leave!
My dd Juliana is 9 months & does the same thing.She was not in pain,but my son 13 would get chronic ear infections also.My dr. said they are just now realizing that they have ears..lol.My dd also pulls here hair.When she drink her bottle or sleeping she will pull her ears or run her fingers through her hair?
But if you think she does have an ear infection take her.
Avery used to do that alot and she has never had an ear infection. Her pediatrician said kids can just be curious and like to pull at their ears. I also know that can be a sign of an ear infection though. I know that isn't much help. Good luck! :)
The pulling of the ears most of the time mean their teeth hurt. It's hard for them to locate the pain the dr. said so they find their ears, heee, heee and it did make sense!
My doctor told me the same thing - it can mean they are teething.
I know what you are talking about!  Carson had chronic ear infections till he was almost 2, they assured us his tubes were flat but would move down and wanted to wait on tubing them.  One day they stopped.  He would tug at his ears too, he would be fine and then the next minute burning up and he would puke too, and then the ear tugging began.  I took Cameron in when he tugged at his ears and he had a slight fever and was just unbearable, his ears were fine, but he had a respiratory infection.  When he finally got his first ear infection, I took him in for something way different.  Cam doesn't act like he has an ear infection when he does, I have brought him in and he will have an ear infection, I will take him back a week later for his breathing and he will have a double infection then, and still be on antibiotics.  So hard to say, especially if you have been through it before and know the drill.  Cam now sucks his thumb and holds his left ear, he started it about 2 months ago in the midst of ear infections.  He hasn't had one in over a month now.  He is however obsessed with ears, he likes mine too.  I think you follow your gut, if she seems to be showing more signs then take her in for sure, or call the nurse.  Good luck, it's a tough call.