Maternal & Child Community
DD starting fruits and veggies. Have a couple questions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey ladies. Brooklynn turned 4 months old today and her pediatrician said that we can start her on the stage 1 fruits and veggies. (SOOOOOOOO excited). I wanted to know what veggies and fruits I should start with? What did all of your baby's enjoy the most? What is the best for them? Do I give her rice cereal at the same time, mixed with the fruit or veggie? Also, how do I know how much to give her? Will she stop eating if she is full? Do I give her the fruit or veggie and then give her her regular bottle afterwards? Sorry about all of the questions, I am just so confused. Its been a long time since I did this. Please help!

Danielle
The only advice I can offer is to wait until 6 months. Offer about a T. of rice cereal first, mixed with breastmilk or formula. Don't introduce new foods until she has had one for about a week to make sure there are no food allergies. Always nurse or give her a bottle before the foods are offered because the milk is her primary source of nutrition still. She doesn't need solids yet. Good luck.
I echo Jen. Don't start now there is no need. If you feel for your own sake you must start, you need to start with single grain cereal made very thin. If she thrusts the food out with her tongue it is a clear indicator (as is her age) she is not ready for this.
I have done this twice now, once with DD and once with DS.  I started them both at 5 and a half mos.....DD took well to it and DS didn't.  It's all trial and error.

I will tell you this.  Rice cereal did not work for my son.  I had to go to oatmeal.  DD never had rice cereal, she started right on oatmeal.

Now, I was very particular about allergies and nutrition aspect with both my kids.  They only ever tried one thing for 2 weeks and then something new.  But I waited 2 weeks before each new thing.  

As for being 4 mos old.....I personally would wait unless you absolutely feel she needs it....go with your mother's instinct.

Our ped. told us to start with green veggies first (peas and green beans).  That way they learn to eat them and like them before introducing the 'good' stuff like fruits and sweeter veggies (squash, sweet potato, etc.).
Aside from that, I started mine on rice cereal at night, 1 tbsp mixed with breast milk, and did that for a few weeks before introducing green veggies.  I have two babies, so I split a first foods container between the two of them, though our dr. said they could each have their own.  Occasionally I mix the greens in with some rice cereal, usually only if they're really starving.
The age thing is really personal.  I wanted to wait as long as possible, especially because mine were preemies, so even at 6 months old, they are only considered barely 4 mo. old developmentally. But my son was starving all the time, and showing a definite readiness (holding head up, sitting in high chair, watching me eat, etc.), so if you feel your daughter is ready, then give it a try.
i also did oatmeal cereal with edward. the rice cereal constipated him. i did just cereal at first. he didn't love it. i did that for about a month off and on until he got used to it. to tell you the truth, there were some days he would take a few bites and some days he wanted nothing to do with it. i didn't push it. i started the stage 1 fruits and veggies at 5 months or so. when he woke up, he would get a bottle. then i'd wait about an hour until and give fruit mixed with cereal. then about an hour after that, he would have another bottle an a nap. i didn't give any solids in the afternoon and in the early evening, i would give him a veggie. sometimes mixed with fruit, sometimes not. you should try one type of fruit only for 3 days to see if she has a reaction, same with the veggie. then, if she does have a reaction, you know what caused it. they will eat it if they want and won't if they don't. don't push it. go slow. start once a day at first, then work your way up. is you have any ?'s about what to gice, what not to give, you can always put a call into the dr. and get the list of things to avoid. like for example, im pretty sure you should wait on strawberries and things like that, because allergies are more common then say with like applesause ot something. good luck and have fun!
I started at 4 months and my son did just fine. We started with carrots, then banans, then whatever veggie. (I can't remember the order, but we alternanted fruit and vegetable every 3 days) He now LOVES his food at 7 months and is on mostly table foods. When he was your dd's age, he got a Tbsp ceral in the morning mixed with breastmilk, at lunch it was a jar of stage 2's fruit or veggie (our ped suggests stage 2 from the get go and he did ok) and that was it. At 5-6 months he started getting 3 meals a day.
And yes, generally they stop eating when they're full. Max just turns his head away and wants nothing to do with another bite.
I agree with shamanda about your own child's readiness.  My DD would open her mouth every time I ate...LOL.  This went on for a month before I realized, hey she may want food.  You'll know if your child is ready.

But she was so advance in her development compared to my son.....although now he has reached 6 mos....he's changing so fast and furious...I can't keep up.