Maternal & Child Community
DH taking antibiotics, does that affect sperm in any way?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DH taking antibiotics, does that affect sperm in any way?

My DH went to the doctor yesterday and was given an antibiotic for prostitis (an infection of the prostate).  Does anyone know if the medication will affect his sperm in any way - like the count or the condition of it?  Thanks in advance!
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
My husband was on that for the same thing.  We were told not to expect anything in the way of pregnancy until he was off of it.  The DR said that his infection may have played a part in why we hadn't conceived yet.  We were in month number 8 at the time, and wouldn't you know it- that's when we got pregnant.  Wow, I guess I made a short answer long here. Sorry about that.  I guess, based on my own experince, that the answer would be no.  It shouldn't affect your ability to conceive.  Good luck!
Blank
i would google the rx name and see if it brings up any info about effecting the sperm.
Blank
Thanks guys.  Greenpixie, that's great news!  Hopefully we'll be in the same boat.  You know if that was the cause of us not getting pregnant yet, that's actually somewhat of a relief.  At least there's an answer as to why (or a possible answer anyways).  The drug is generic for Cipro so I'll look it up online as you guys suggested.  Thanks a bunch!
Blank
It depends what class of antibiotics... I'm not an expert, but I do remember that both nitrofurans (the name starts with nitrofur*) and another group (macrolides) do temporarily affect count and motility... one of the most common antibiotics that does have this effect is erythromycin (sp?)... so check the antibiotic name, and maybe call the pharmacy as some of them go by more than one name...
Blank
My husband got sick and started Carafate to coat his ulcer, and Protonix to reduce acid, then tested positive for H Pylori and started Erithimycin and amoxicillin. We were doing IVF and after less then two weeks of these meds my husbands sperm had 50% dead and the other 50% weak. We got 9 eggs and it took 3 sperm samples to fertilize 2 eggs and still waiting to see if they cleave?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...