Maternal & Child Community
DIAPER RASH/BLISTERS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

DIAPER RASH/BLISTERS

MY DD HAS THESE BLISTERS ON THE OUTSIDE BELOW HER VAGINA.  THERE ARE TWO ONE ON EACH SIDE.  SHE ALSO HAS TWO MORE RED SPOTS BELOW MORE TOWARDS HER BOTTOM, BUT CLOSER TO HER LEGS.  THE ONES BELOW HER VAGINA ARE REALLY RED AND ARE SHINY...LIKE THEY MAY BE FORMING A SCAB.  LAST NIGHT THEY WERE WHITE AND THE AREA AROUND WAS RED.  TODAY IT IS THE OPPOSITE.  I PUT DESITIN ON HER AND SHE SEEMED TO NOT MIND THAT.  IS THIS NORMAL?  SHE IS STARTING TO BE MORE ACTIVE NOW AND MOVES HER LEGS A LOT, SO WHEN THEY ARE STRAIGHT AND DOWN AND SHE MOVES IT IS LIKE SHE IS RUBBING HERSELF RAW.  BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE AND I WANT TO MAKE SURE SHE DOESN'T HAVE SOMETHING LIKE A VIRUS OR SOMETHING.  I CALLED HER DOCTOR, BUT I CALLED THE OFFICE LOCATED HERE WHERE I LIVE AND IT WAS AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFERED TO THE OTHER OFFICE.  HE DOESN'T EVEN WORK AT THE OTHER OFFICE.  I CALLED THREE TIMES AND THEY KEEP TELLING ME THE PHONES ARE MESSED UP AND SO I CAN'T TALK TO ONE OF THE NURSES.  BUT I JUST WANTED TO SEE IF ANY OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS WITH YOUR CHILD.  ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP SINCE I CAN'T CONTACT THE DOCTOR RIGHT NOW. THANKS!
1. Is she in diapers?
2. How old is she?
My DD had sounds like the same thing when she was about 5 months old. My dr. said it was a yeast infection(different than what we as adults get). He prescribed this gel medication and it cleared up in one day. He also told me to keep her out of her diaper and let it air out. Messy, but it worked. I laid my daughter on a blanket with a Puppy training pad underneath it, LOL. I know its scary but it will probably be oK. Good luck!!
SHE IS IN DIAPERS AND SHE WILL BE 10 WEEKS THIS FRIDAY.
The other day my DS was wearing jeans & had his diaper on, when I went to change him it was a shiny white place that of course turned red later in the day & the next day or so it was darker. I used clear balmex on it & it's fine now, I guess the corner of his diaper was turned under & btw the diaper & jeans it rubbed him raw. SInce she has several places I wonder if she just wore something that rubbed her the wrong way, I remember my DS wearing a shirt (that must have had too large of a seem) it made his underarm raw.
My son would starting getting really nasty blister rashes that would break open a few months before he started getting his teeth.  I know that the only thing that worked for him was a presrpicption diaper rash ointment--and then as we followed his teething progrees we used bag balm.  You can buy it walmart or any other chain store. They use it a lot on cows udders-it does really work to help clear things up.  If it does get worse or you notice any discomfort for your little take her to the dr's.  It is always better to get it seen for the 1st time to make sure it is not serious.  Good Luck
use Maalox (the stuff for heatburn) pour it over the rashy area and it will go away within hours =)
I just called our pediatrician yesterday for a similiar looking rash that didn't respond to normal diaper rash treatment. They said it was a yeast infection (which can be on the bottom, legs, etc.) and they prescribed Nyastatin....but an OTC antifungal like Lotrimin should work too. You could try it and see if it reacts well to it?
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR ADVICE.  I AM GOING TO TAKE HER IN TOMORROW JUST SO SHE CAN GET BETTER.  SHE HAS BEEN FUSSY ALL DAY AND NOW I KNOW WHY.  I HATE THAT SHE HAS THESE BLISTERS ON HER. THEY LOOK HORRIBLE AND LOOK LIKE THEY HURT REALLY BAD.  WHO WOULD HAVE EVER THOUGHT IT WAS A YEAST INFECTION.  WIERD, BUT SO TRUE.  I AM JUST GOING TO DO MY BEST AT KEEPING HER DRY AND CLEAN SO THIS WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN.  SHE PEES A LOT AND I AM CONSTANTLY CHANGING HER DIAPERS, BUT THATS OK.  I WOULD RATHER HER NOT GET ANY MORE RASHES!
My daughter only got rashes from Huggies diapers--constantly. So around 4 weeks we switched to cloth. It's not so bad if you have a service. You toss them in a bucket and they come get it (I lived in a tiny apt. and it didn't smell, breastfed stools though don't smell, much anyway). The chemicals in those gels are really strong I think (DS had no prob). She still has wierd reactions to like antibacterial soaps etc. (9 y.o.)

For diaper rash, don't forget sun is good too--expose their bums to sun!
MY HUSBAND COACHES FOOTBALL AND SO WE GO TO THE FOOTBALL FIELD SOMETIMES TO VISIT WITH ALL OF MY FRIENDS.  SO TONIGHT I DECIDED I WOULD GO UP THERE.  WHEN I GOT THERE I RAN INTO ONE OF MY FRIENDS WHO HAS A DD AND SHE IS 18 MONTHS OLD.  I WAS TALKING TO HER ABOUT HOW MY DD HAD BEEN FUSSY AND EXPLAINED WHY.  SHE ASKED TO SEE THE BLISTERS AND SAID THAT IT WAS A YEAST INFECTION.  HER DD HAS HAD A YEAST INFECTION SEVERAL TIMES AND SO I BELIEVE HER.  I TOLD HER THAT MY DD HAD BEEN PUTTING HER FEET ON THE GROUND AND LITTLE HER BUTT UP A LOT YESTERDAY AND HOW SHE HAD NEVER DONE THAT.  SHE SAID HER DD DID THAT B/C IT WAS THE WAY SHE COULD ITCH HERSELF.  I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THAT UNTIL NOW.  I FEEL SO SORRY FOR MY DD.  I AM GOING TO TAKE HER TO THE DOCTOR TOMORROW AND GET SOME OINTMENT FOR HER TO TREAT IT RIGHT AWAY.  THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.  I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS A YEAST INFECTION JUST BY THE WAY IT LOOKED.  WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT.  I MEAN I HAVE THEM ALL THE TIME, BUT THEY ARE SO DIFFERENT.
Paw Paw ointment is the best for rashes.  You can buy it from the health store.  If it persists take him to an urgent doctor.
Dermaclout is good for rashes...its not sold over the counter though.  You have to ask the pharmacist to fill you some (you dont need a prescription).  But definately check with the Dr to see if its not a yeast infection.
jah02e....shwew!  Hope the doc gives you something good. My DD's rash was looking better the next day!  not so many pimply things but more of the dry/flaky stuff - and that is almost gone now too. And don't feel bad for not knowing - rashes are SO hard - and if it is on their butt - why wouldn't we think it was a normal diaper rash?  Oh - thank God for this place, huh? I'd go nuts w/out it.  =-)
I LOVE THIS SITE.  I WOULD GO CRAZY W/OUT IT TOO.  I AM TAKING HER TODAY AT 11:00, SO I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.  I KNOW THAT WHAT IT IS THOUGHT, B/C NONE OF THE DIAPER RASH CREAM HAS WORKED AND IT HAS BEEN THREE DAYS NOW.  THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR ADVICE!
My DD had that right when she came home from the hosp. we had to take her in the day after we got home. He was having a reaction to the diapers. they were Pampers. We swiched to Huggies & didn't have a problem after that!
WELL, SHE HAD A YEAST INFECTION AND WE GOT THE CREAM AND SHE HAS BEEN SLEEPING ALL DAY.  IT ALREADY LOOKS BETTER SINCE WE STARTED PUTTING THE CREAM ON HER THIS MORNING.  THANKS AGAIN TO ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL TIPS AND ADVICE!