Maternal & Child Community
DRY CRACKED NIPPLES?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

DRY CRACKED NIPPLES?

I am 28 wks & have very itchy,Dry,cracked nipples.Just the tips.I've used lotions,oils & baths.There so dry almost like a scab.Everything(online) points to breast feeding but I'm not BF?What would help? Is this common or should I call Dr.
I am not sure where in the world you are but regardless a chemist should be able to direct you towards nipple cream.  I just had my last antenatal class and they recommended to start using the cream now to prepare and nourish your breast b4 bub gets here.  lanolin I think the name is of the cream I use (australia) and it is especially for pre birth and post and ok for bub to suck without having to remove b4 feeds.  I can also purchase this at any supermarket so perhaps in place of just any types of creams oils etc, try something that is made exactly for that purpose.

Good luck and I hope it helps!  Oh a tip also is to wear a nursing pad and lather the cream/ointment on at least twice a day until they are healed.

Trudy
Olive oil, cheap, healing and no perfume.

Definitely use the creams.  I liked the lanolin types. But some women do leak a small to mod amount of collostrum from the nipple. This may be a bit irritating to the tissue in that area. Try to keep them clean/dry. Best of luck to you.
My nipples have recently been very dry. Should I be concerned. I'm in my 40's and never had children
I am 15 weeks pregnant and my nipples just recently started getting real dry and everyonce in a while itch. so you say if i use lanolin my breast would leak? Thats what I got from the messages above.
Try lansinoh which is make by lanolin. No, nothing you use is going to make you leak, that just happens on its own.
tmv was saying that the reason some womens nipples may be irritated is because of colostrum leaking