Maternal & Child Community
DRY CRACKED NIPPLES?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DRY CRACKED NIPPLES?

I am 28 wks & have very itchy,Dry,cracked nipples.Just the tips.I've used lotions,oils & baths.There so dry almost like a scab.Everything(online) points to breast feeding but I'm not BF?What would help? Is this common or should I call Dr.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
132217_tn?1217152617
I am not sure where in the world you are but regardless a chemist should be able to direct you towards nipple cream.  I just had my last antenatal class and they recommended to start using the cream now to prepare and nourish your breast b4 bub gets here.  lanolin I think the name is of the cream I use (australia) and it is especially for pre birth and post and ok for bub to suck without having to remove b4 feeds.  I can also purchase this at any supermarket so perhaps in place of just any types of creams oils etc, try something that is made exactly for that purpose.

Good luck and I hope it helps!  Oh a tip also is to wear a nursing pad and lather the cream/ointment on at least twice a day until they are healed.

Trudy
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
Olive oil, cheap, healing and no perfume.

Blank
Definitely use the creams.  I liked the lanolin types. But some women do leak a small to mod amount of collostrum from the nipple. This may be a bit irritating to the tissue in that area. Try to keep them clean/dry. Best of luck to you.
Blank
My nipples have recently been very dry. Should I be concerned. I'm in my 40's and never had children
Blank
I am 15 weeks pregnant and my nipples just recently started getting real dry and everyonce in a while itch. so you say if i use lanolin my breast would leak? Thats what I got from the messages above.
Blank
568659_tn?1256143582
Try lansinoh which is make by lanolin. No, nothing you use is going to make you leak, that just happens on its own.
tmv was saying that the reason some womens nipples may be irritated is because of colostrum leaking
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...