Maternal & Child Community
Dark brown spotting at nearly 7 weeks (worried!)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I posted earlier in the week about having light brown spotting at 6 weeks and you were all very encouraging. I took your advice, tried not to worry, and got my hcg levels tested. The numbers were very reassuring (55,488 at just over 6 weeks) and my spotting went away for a day. But last night, I got home from work and noticed a good amount of very dark brown watery spotting on my underwear. This freaked me out! It keeps coming and going -- this morning I have no spotting whatsoever -- but I am nervous about what this means. Anyone else have similar dark brown spotting??

Jenny100 -- you posted a similar situation about a week ago. How are you doing??
Has your dr. done an u/s yet?  If not, I would call him Monday and request one.
No I haven't had an u/s done yet, but I have my first appointment scheduled for Thursday. Do you think it is ok to wait until then or should I call the dr sooner?
Waiting won't change the outcome.  If you can stand to wait, then wait.  If your uncomfortable with it, call your dr. on Monday.  There is no reason for YOU to have to stress about this any longer than necessary!  How long has this been going on?  Did it start after have intercourse?
It started on Monday (1/29) with light brown spotting for 3 days, then nothing for all of yesterday (2/2) until last night when I had very dark brown spotting. I haven't had intercourse lately, but I did go to the gym (so maybe that aggravated things?). I could wait until Thursday if I knew that there wasn't something the dr could do to intervene... when you say waiting won't change the outcome, do you mean that if I were going to miscarry it would happen anyway? Or is there anything a dr could do about this to stop it from happening?

Thanks for all of your feedback!

I am still spotting, some days watery , some days thick mucus type, all brown,some dark some light this has been since 1/1, I thought it was a period and on the 8th I found out I was pregnanct and they referred me to the early preg unit to be monitored. It can go either way, everything can be fine or it can be a threatened miscarriage. Brown is old blood but where its coming from is the issue. Some people say it was the implantation bleeding in their case but for me its been so long that it can't be that. Your numbers are a lot higher than mine, which is positive, I only had hcg of 11300. You will probably be fine but If you are really worried go to ER or the doc. Let me know what happens xx
Unfortunately, there is really nothing a doc can do to stop a first trimester mc.  I am hoping this is not the case and that you will have a great us.
If you start passing bright red blood, having bad cramps, or localized pain go to the er.  Otherwise it is probably better to wait until you see your own doc.
I think it is a good sign that it is brown, and perhaps you shook things a little bit at the gym.  My doc told me no gym until I am in the 13th week.  But I am 40 so she considers me very high risk.  She did say I could do aquafit (yawn)
Hi Soopa

When i had my ectopic, i was spotting brown and my HCG wasnt doubling. Thats was the warning signs. You on the other hand seem to have a healthy count. I dont think its anything to worry about but i was checking my underwear every 5 mins. For just your sanity perhaps you should see a doctor for an U/S. I am sure your are fine. Lots of luck and i will be looking out for your Good news girls post :)
Hi there. I had dark brown spotting for over a week when i was 6-7 weeks pregnant. The doctor reassured me that as long as there was no pain then i would be ok. I went for an early scan and this showed everything was fine. I also spotted for a week at around 13 weeks. I am now 26 weeks and everything now seems to be fine. Try not to worry but get checked out as long as the blood is brown then it is old blood. The cervix is very delicate at this time and can easily be dammaged and hence any bleeding, good luck!
Hi there I am 9 weeks and at 7-8 weeks I had really darl brown bleeding almost kinda red and it lasted a full week I was scared I went to the doctors and they did a ultrasound I am having twins they don't know where the blood was comming from but said drink pleanty of water and try to stay off my feet. I didn't have any cramping at all so I guess that was good and my babies at 9 weeks have heart beats of 179-181. Best of luck to you
HI, i dont mean to scare you but when i was about  weeks i had the same, especially when i wiped, it started off light brown, then the next morning there was plenty of dark brown that turned to red. I had a m/c but am ttc'ing again and hoping for the best!
Thank you all for your feedback! I tell you, sometimes this forum is more helpful than any doctor's office. (I actually get multiple perspectives and don't feel badly about asking all of my questions!)

I stayed off my feet yesterday and only had the smallest amount of spotting. Somehow my spotting seems to correlate with how much time I spend sitting up and walking... odd! It certainly feels like my cervix is sensitive -- if I move suddenly or twist I seem to feel it in my lower abdomen.

I have my first dr's appointment on Thursday, so I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again for sharing your stories.
HEllo..Im Vanessa. Im kind of new on this but Im pretty worried. I have always irregular periods every 2 or 3 months, and I'm not on any type of Birth control..My last one was in December and I have been having dark brown spotting on my underwear for the last couple days. It also appeared about a week ago for a couple days. Before this last spotting I had intercourse and a little before the spotting before I did as well. Could I be pregnant or what else could this mean? I dont have any symptoms of pregnancy at all. Thanks!

Hello...I'm 5.5 weeks pregnant and have been having finding light-brown to dark-brown spotting when I wipe since 2/11. No cramping has been associated with the spotting.  My HCG levels were normal on 2/12. I went in for my HCG levels today but still waiting on my results. I also don
I am so happy to have found this site. I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been spotting pink, light red and light brown for over a week. I had an ultrasound last week and everything looked good but I am too early to detect a heartbeat. Every day I worry things will worsen, as I miscarried in October.It seems many women have spotted and gone on to have healthy pregnancies I just wish there was an explanation as to why this occurs. It is unfortunate so many of us are experiencing this but it's comforting to know I'm not alone, as I have been feeling this past week.
Hello all,
I am on 9 weeks of pregnancy, yesterday i had few drops of brown spotting, and i got scared. Me and my husband had intercouse just before that and i felt bad cramps all over my back, and may be that is the reason of spotting. Also doctor told me that my cervix is very weak and i have to take rest, avoid sex. If spotting continue, i ll inform my doctor. Right now i think it may be old blood, but hope not an early sign of miscarriage.