Maternal & Child Community
Dark line running up on stomach?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Dark line running up on stomach?

I am a 29 year old black women. I have had a dark line running up my stomach since I can remember. What is it? When I decided to look into it I found nothing but what was called Line Nigra, but that is related to pregnancy. I am not pregnant and never has been as far as I know. What is this line? Does it tell me anything?
Hi, I was wondering the same thing. I have had it as well even before I got pregnant. I don't know what it is either. I am also African American. But good question I want to know exactly what it is as well.
I am the most disgusting white you've ever seen.......and pregnant lol but I read that the linea negra is a line that acrtually is present on every woman. It is just not usually visible. It gets darker during pregnancy due to hormones and the darker the skin, the darker it gets. Sooooo....as for having it when you aren't pregnant, I am not sure what causes it to be so prominant! (I guess I'm not much help...but just wanted to let you know that it is normal! :))
It is seen on dark skinned women normally.
White women only have it when pregnant.
It doesn't serve any purpsose.  
I've heard it is quite common on african american women.
I am a 56 yr old black woman and I have two daughters.  I have had the line all the days of my life. Even today it is as dark as ever. I do not know if it got darker when I was pregnant.  I do know that my sister in law who is Porta Rican does not have the line and has never seen it on her self. Every other blace woman in my life has it.