Maternal & Child Community
Days Past Ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Days Past Ovulation

Hey...
Just wondering if anyone has a definition of what Days Past Ovulation a person really is:

Do you count the day OF the surge as day 1, or the day you DO ovulate as day 1, or do you not start counting until AFTER the day you ovulate (which would be TWO days after you got the surge line on your OPK)

I have just never been sure what Day I am on.
I just researched this today and I believe you count ovulation day as the day after surge count the day after ovulation as day one but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
My question regarding this is I started surging last night but am still surging today and it's stronger so I guess I count today as surge day?
I actually was wondering the same exact thing, because this happened to me this cycle too. I tested on Dec. 20 at 11:00 p.m. and the line was definitely darker, but then the next day at 2:00 p.m. it was EVEN DARKER. So I wasn't sure what day I was supposed to count as "surge day"
I have been counting the first day---I am assuming that it was just that I caught it at the beginning, but that I still ovulated the next day--(the day the line was even darker---since you are supposed to ovulate 24 hours after the surge.

Man this is all so confusing!! Don't you wish it could be simple!! :)
I hear you.

I thought ovulation can occur even 48 hours after the surge.  The egg can live for another 24 hours, so what if conception occurs 3 days after surge?

Also, why do epts say to test 4 days before your period vs. 10 dpo?

I sort of tried this month, although my husband backed out on the prime two days.  We "did it" the day before surge, the day of surge, then two days later.  I don't feel much except bloating and I'm kind of emotional.

When are you guys testing?  I think I'll take mine on new years day.

Good luck to you all.
I think it IS possible to ovulate up to 48 hours later, but that the most common is 24-36 hours later.
In a book I am reading called "The fastest way to get pregnant naturally" it says "The amount of time from the beginning of the LH rise to the moment of ovulation is 36 hours."
So there is the statement of one Dr.
I don't think you missed your prime chance to be PG--you BD'd on the day of the surge--and sperm lives AT LEAST 2 days and usually longer. SO you still have a good chance!

I am probably not going to test until I am past when I expect AF. (if i get to that point, I mean)I get so stressed and disappointed when I see a BFN.

Hoping for New Year BFP'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So how many DPO do you figure you are now Jenny??
It's not an exact thing if you are just using the OPKs. If you are charting your temps too, you count day 1 as the first rise in temp. Ovulation day was the day before.
Too many things affect temperature---and although I do temp, I don't put a lot of stock into it. Especially if I woke up to go to the bathroom, or spent the night at my Mom's, etc. That book I told you about in that last post--the Dr that wrote it says BBT charting is very inaccurate and should not be used alone. They did a study with expert physicians trying to decipher from a womans chart when she ovulated, and they were right in only 22% of the charts.
So I don't know...I know many women swear by it. i guess whatever works for the individual person.

Michellejune---I guess this makes me 7 DPO today. I surged on the 20th, ovulated on the 21st, and then I guess I start counting on the 22nd.
FYI, when we were actively trying, OPKs worked for me 5 out of 6 tries.  I've had 6 mcs in a row. We always BD'd (not sure what that stands for but I think it's the PC term for doing the deed:) the day of the surge, and the day after.  I also stayed in bed with my knees bent up for at least an hour.

Last month and this month I have only BD the day of surge, and no knee action.  We'll see what happens!

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys that my OB says you can ovulate days (like 5 days) after surge...
Yeah I read that too---that you could possible ovulate even 5 days AFTER the surge. But that it usually only happnes if something stressful causes your body to stop it and postpone it until you are comfortable.(like if you get sick, or are traveling, etc.)

Lol--BD means "Baby Dance"--having sex.

I am so sorry about all those miscarriages. You are amazing for making it through such a hard thing.
i got a surge on the 18 only on clearblue and not on answer then itested the next day and got a negative on clearblue and answer so i tested on the 23 cuz i was dreaming that i was preggo lol and i woke up and was feeling wet sorry tmi so i took an ovulation test around 2pm and i had both postive on both brands and even in the evening so i guess that was right and it was 13 days after my af so how many dpo am i?
The perfect time for sex is the day just prior to the ovulation predictor FIRST turning positive. And this may sound like a surprise, but making love only after first getting a positive OPK may not get you pregnant at all. Ovulation can happen as early as 14 hours after the OPK first becomes positive. Let's say you test with the OPK at 8 a.m. and it was negative. Then, the OPK turns positive at 11 a.m. So ovulation could then happen 14 hours later, at 1 a.m. the next day. If you test every 24 hours you will only find out about the positive OPK at 8 a.m. the next day, which may be too late for getting pregnant if you only have sex at that time. Testing every 12 hours may be more reliable to predict ovulation. Making love after ovulation won't get you pregnant, so if you rely on the OPK and you wait to have sex only when the test becomes positive, you may decrease your chances of getting pregnant. That's why it's generally suggested to make love two to three times each and every week. That way you are unlikely to miss ovulation. In addition, you may want to make love once a day when the OPK turns positive, just to make sure.  I found this on babymed.  The OPK stick will stay positive until AF arrives.  So once you get a + stop testing and  start baby dancing.  The day you ovulate is counted as day one.  You luteal phase is counted as your first day post ovulation 1 DPO up until the day before your period.