Maternal & Child Community
Dealing with Grief and in 3rd Trimester

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Dealing with Grief and in 3rd Trimester

I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to effectively deal with grief over the loss of a pet while in the third trimester of pregnancy.  I'm having a really hard time right now, and there isn't much I can do but cry (my hormones are raging, too, which makes it that much harder), and I cannot seem to get it together.  We can't take medicine, we can't have a drink (well I could, but I don't really want to) and I'm just not sure how to get it together.  Any coping skills would be greatly appreciated.  It may seem weird to those of you without pets, but this is a member of my family.  Thank you to all you wonderful people out there.  
): I know how it is to lose a pet. I would not be able to handle losing one of my cats at this point in my life and they are 13. I love it when people have a love for their pets like that, but it makes it so hard to let go when you lose them. I really can't give you advice on how to cope, as I'm not sure I would be able to handle it, either. I guess just take it one day at a time and remember your pet as a wonderful part of your family. What kind of animal is it? Would getting another make it worse?
Hi There...i had a similar situation with my firstborn son. My dog was actually taken from our backyard (i do not believe he ran away at all because he was a house dog for the most part and the gate in the backyard was closed at all times, so someone had to have opened it) On the night I went into labor and went to the hospital, we went in the yard to make sure he was seucre and fed, but he was gone. I cried and all, but the fact that I was already in labor took my mind off of it. So i actually never did get a real chance to grieve the loss of the dog because it happened the night my son was born, but i know it can very very hard and just wanted to say that I understand... Sorry for your loss.
seucre=secure. sorry bout the typos!
I lost my cat in october....a couple months after I m/c'd.  I was devestated!  I lost my baby 2nd time and my best friend all so close together.  Dh went out and bought me a tiny miniature pincsher puppy and surprised me with her.  Well that certainly helped but what a big job.  I couldnt keep up with a puppy so my inlaws begged to have her.  They are so inlove with her.  Anyways my point is sometimes getting a new pet helps take your mind off the one you lost.  I buried my kitty in the back yard as well with a nice little stone.  We ended up getting 2 siamese kittens in November and Im soooo inlove with them and they are no work at all.  You are going to have to grieve though.... its only normal and if people dont understand thats too bad for them.  I hope you feel better soon.  Soon you will have a new baby to love and he/she will become your new best friend!
Thank you.  This was my parents' and brother's dog.  Fluffy was 13 years old, and her brother is still here but not doing well.  I have two 2yr old dogs of my own at my home, but this was my dog, too.  We got her and her brother just before I started grad school after my childhood dog passed.  She was a ray of sunshine for me and my family, and the horrific part of it all is that she passed in my arms yesterday at my parents' & brother's house.  I've never held anyone or anything until their last breath, and I cannot stop playing the scene over and over in my head, nor can I stop hearing the terrible cries when she had what we think was a heart attack.  She was fine, sitting in my lap licking me, and 10 minutes later, she was in another room, and we heard the cries.  My husband found her on the ground, barely alive, and he tried to give her CPR, and I held her there and on the way to the vet.  She left us very quickly in the car.  Her poor doggy brother was terrified under a chair watching.  The whole thing was just very traumatic.  I didn't sleep much last night, and when I did, I had horrible dreams.  My mom and brother are devastated, and my dad is so sad, too.  I just can't stop crying, and I know the hormones aren't helping.  I guess just talking about it helps, though.  Thanks for listening.  I hope you don't have to deal with this anytime soon.  
Oh, I'm so sorry!! When I first found out I was pg, I found a lump on my dog. It turned out to be nothing serious, but for several days, I was preparing myself for the worst. I think it's just going to take some time for you to feel better. Have you ever read The Rainbow Bridge? Anytime I've lost a pet, that poem gives me some comfort knowing I'll see my furbabies again.
I am so sorry. I can totally understand how you feel. I have a 2 yo shih tzu (had since he was 4 mos when I had my m/c) and on friday, there was a lot of commotion/people in my mothers house (we take him there every weekend) and someone locked my dog outside for almost 45 minutes! I started to look for him because he is not the type to not be around.  Anyone could have taking him or he could have just gone into an elevator.  :( I was hysterical when I got him back (hormones..).  But I cant imagine loosing him especially at this stage of my pregnancy, I would go crazy. I thought about it all day and If something would have happened, I think I would need like valum or something to calm me down.

Anyway, I'm so so so sorry for your loss and I do understand how you feel.  Google the poem "Rainbow bridge".It will make you cry but maybe it will bring you peace also. I bought a frame with that poem and put a pic of our beloved family dog who passed last year, and gave it to my mom.  She was heart broken.
Remember that you need to be try hard to control your emotions now. I know it's hard but, it's for the good of your little one.  Take a few days off from work (if you could and if your still working) and mourn.  That's what I would do.  Good luck and again, I'm sorry for your loss.
I did the same thing- I have a picture frame that has a pic of my dog on one side, and the Rainbow Bridge printed out on the other.
Thank you all for your thoughts, experiences and ideas.  I really need this now more than ever, and I really appreciate it. I'm going to go home now and be with my dogs at home, and I've decided to stay home tomorrow for my own good.  I'm so lucky to have you all.  
Yes, take the day off, get some rest, and hug your doggies.

I found the sweetest version of the Rainbow Bridge, but have your kleenex ready, ladies!!

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

I had to click on "click here" twice to get it to start.
Just reread it any i'm in tears at work.  Look at what hormones do!
I know, I did the same thing. Did you watch/read the link that I posted? Thank goodness I keep an extra makeup bag at work!
I think you are doing a great thing in handling your grief by coming here and posting to us so we can offer as much support as possible.  Keep talking about things and try to take it easy on yourself.  *hugs*