Maternal & Child Community
Delayed Ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Delayed Ovulation

Hi ladies, well last month I ovulated on day 20. This month is cycle #4 and it is already day 22 with no ovulation. I had EWCM starting day #18 but still not "O". My question is that for the last 4 months my cycles have gotten longer and longer. I used to be a 28 dayer. Is there any meds that can bring ovulation on sooner in my cycle. i know Clomid is for women who do not ovulate at all. But it is so frustrating to have such a delayed "O" every month. Even I am getting tired of BD'ing every other day trying to catch it...
are you on clomid  and what method are yoou using to check ovulation
I am not on any meds. I am using BBT to detect my ovulation.
try using strips and then if still no ovulation check with gyn because clomid will help induce ovulation hoe long have you been ttc
i would also try checking with strips in the morn and night may get expensive but worth a shot
You mean OPK strips? They were not working for me. I would clearly ovulate and then they would come out positive a few days after thermal shift.

I have been ttc for 4 months and have been charting.
Will they prescribe Clomid for me even though I do ovulate? It  is occuring later and later each cycle.
well im on clomid and i am ovulating  for sure they are only putting me on for 3 cycles so check with doc and also have partner checked if your in a big hurry but for some it could take about a year iv been ttc for over a year
i had a delayed ovulation this cycle too(((. i oed on cd23.  i would suggest to wait, do not take anything and see what happens.
if you've been charting for 4 months then you have a good amount of info to take to your doc. he/she will know what meds are good for you. i also suggest to go after you oed so they can check your progesterone levels too.
I spoke to my doc and she wants me to start progesterone next week. She said it will either bring on a period if I did not "O" or if for some miracle am pregnant with just really low BBT and progesterone it will help out with the pregnancy.
I used a microscope to track my ovulation.. what are u using... i think it s worked pretty good considering i am due dec 3rd. it was 20$ at walmart...
woman who 'o' late are said to have a luteal phase defect....you can go on progesterone after 'o' to make sure the baby has time to implant or clomid to force 'o' earlier. hope this helped.

love....kimmie
Thank you for the help. I'll touch base with my doctor today to see if she can prescribe anything to help with my short LP. I'm only on my 5 month of TTC, but it still makes you wonder what's going on... Best of luck to you!
Not sure exactly when to start taking it. Some women I believe take it after ovulation up to 12-14 weeks of pregnancy. Yes progesterone does help when you have a short LP. Progesterone is what is causing your temps to elevate after "O" to ensure the embryo has time to implant in a nice warm enviornment. The placenta down the road then takes this over. Not having enough progesterone or having a very short LP, implantation does not have time to occur and your period comes and washes it out.

I beleive Kimmie is on progesterone and maybe she can help answer our quest as to when to start it.
I know it also comes in a cream form but my doc said she would call in the pill form for me.
Good luck to you too. I am only on month 4 of ttc. But heck it sure stinks how long it takes to get preggers.. Lots of Baby Dust to you********
Thanks Kimmie,
Looks like I definitley ovulated yesterday on cd22. I went from 97.3 up to 97.9.  She had mentioned starting progesterone next week. Should I call her and ask to be put on now since I finally ovulated??  When is the best time to start it??
hi ever body this might be a stupied question but how do u know when your ovalting
From what I have read the embryo needs anywhere from 11-14 days to implant after ovulation. Last month I began AF 11 days after ovulation. I do not think that was long enough tho. I would like to have at least 14 days prior to AF starting, gives more time for implantation.
You mentioned progesterone. Is this something that I can take to help with a short Luteal Phase? If so, when do you start taking it?
I have the exact cycle as you (and the same question)! According to my BBT I o'd yesterday as well and I have ewcm. I guess it doens't hurt to bd and hope for the best.
I hope no one minds if i chime in...I have been trying since a m/c in May...i have been tracking BBT and this month my temp was 97 and jumped to 98 and the very next day to 97 and then the very next day 98 again...I am so confused...anyone ever have this????
Feel free to jump in that is why we are here. Yes, I also had some odd temps earlier this month. Went from 97.3 to 98.6 down to 97.3 then back up to 98.6.   I knew I was not near ovulation nor sick so I figured it was just one of those things.   I know that is not the most helpful answer but I am unsure why it happens.
Thanks so much...my problem is i know i am ovulating...(i can feel it...i know thats weird)and the timing is right on.i just didnt expect the change in temp to fluctuate after the drop. I had read that there is a drop right before ovulation and then you will ovulate within 12 to 24 hrs so i got myself all worked up only to have another drop in temp??? I am so frustrated!!!
It is frustrating. Every month I think I timed it right and then bam here comes pesky AF...  Charting temps does get easier after a few months, you will see a definite trend. My doc says you need 4 days of elevated temps in a row for it truly to be ovulation.  Those weird temps should not even be factored in...
I'll chime in here as well.  I noticed you are BBT.  You should not be jumping from 97 to 98 back to 97 and 98 again.  Do you have a digital thermometer or a BBT thermometer?  If not, please get one, these are more accurate in telling your temp to the nearest tenth or hundreth of a degree.  Also, make sure you're taking temps first thing in the morning and not in the evening or afternoon.  If you are taking your temp in the afternoon, temperatures fluctuate easily and this could be the cause of your jumping.  I made this mistake my first month of taking it in the afternoon and my temps were always higher than they were supposed to be.  HTH
What is considered a short luteal phase? Last month I was 10 days. I took Clomid this month (5-9 days) and according to my BBT I ovulated yesterday (cd 20). Last month I started af of cd 30. Has anyone else had problems with a 10 day luteal phase, or not. Thank you!
I dont have a digital i am using the old fashioned one..is this the BBT????  I take it every morning around 4am before i even get out of bed. Its very confusing to me because i can't pin point actual ovulation time and the last few months it was obvious by BBT charting when i had ovulated.  Now this morning I was 98 again after being 97.6 yesterday???  This has fluctuated for five days like this?  thanks for listening. I am driving myself crazy!!
I to have had crazy bbt's this month, I to suffered a m/c back in May. Now I have an appt to see an Endocronologist(sp) because even though my chart shows I am O'ing, my temps jump like that. and I guess that can be a sign of PCOS. Great just what I need, another affliction LOL:)
Good luck to you and may you fall pregnant!
I would really recommend you use a digital one.  If by the "old-fashioned" you mean the mercury ones, then they aren't as accurate for BBT than what you need and they can be difficult to read to the tenth of a degree.  Digital ones are like 5 dollars or cheaper at your local Wal-Mart here in the states or at any drug store.  They are more accurate/sensitive than the mercury ones.  4 am, huh?  Wow, you get up that early?  Well, as long as you're getting 4 hours of consecutive sleep before you take your temp, it should be alright.  Other than that, the thermometer is the only thing I can see as the problem to your temping.  HTH!
Don't worry, your question didn't go unnoticed.

That is a broad question.  Things that signal ovulation are egg-white cervical mucus, a dip in temperature, a change in cervical position, there are so many indicators of ovulation.  It would be best for you to do an internet search about ovulation and read several articles to inform yourself.
Thanks, I will actually pick one up today.  Good luck to you!!!
Hi there, to the person asking how you know when you're ovulating--you really should buy the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It is really the fertility Bible and will explain everything. It's a wonderful book for anyone trying to conceive.