Maternal & Child Community
Delivering big baby -- what's too big?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Delivering big baby -- what's too big?

Today at OB's I learned my baby is 9 pounds, 9 oz though estimate is give or take a pound, but puts me at definite risk of tearing and higher risk for c section. I'm overdue in week 41.5 and scheduled for induction on Thurs if not natural beforehand. My OB said 10 pounds is cutoff for automatic csection for women not diabetic (like me), but what have others experienced or heard? Is it possible to deliver a baby over 9 pounds or should I go with a c section if they offer it to me b/c too big to deliver? I figure I'll try natural especially if make it to Thurs for induction with Pitosin, but if they say baby looks too big should I agree with c section?

Thanks ladies. This is scary b/c of my worst scenario maybe coming true that I go through bad contractions with Pitosin and still end up with c section in the end, but I think I've done all I can to wait it out naturally so have to be induced on Thurs if baby doesn't come next 2 days and then see if natural delivery works or at some point several hours later OB will say OK now c section. I guess this is why they often don't tell you weight estimate b/c makes you scared but on the other hand I figured if I'm 2 weeks overdue isn't it good to know for planning delivery. Best to you all and I'll let you know what happens!
That's such a tough question.  As you know, ultrasounds at this stage can be off by a pound.  Either way, + or -.  So the baby could be smaller or bigger.

Its all going to come down to a discussion between you and your doctor regarding risks and benefits of proceeding with an induction if the doctor really feels the baby will be very large.  How will you feel if you decide on a planned C/Section and the baby onlyways a bit over 8 pounds?  If you don't think you'll have feelings of resentment and anger, you might just want to elect a C/section.  
The trouble is, that no one knows until the shoulders come through, if the baby will fit.  And that last bit of the journey can affect your child forever.  The larger the baby, the higher the risk of shoulder dystocia.

From my perspective, I've seen enough to think I'd be a bit cautious.   But you're not me, and this is your child and your body.  As I said, if you would be devastated by a C/S that was later proven to probably be not necessary, you might feel like giving it a go regardless.  But if you really don't think it would matter to you...you might want to err on the side of the C/S.

Good luck to you.  PLEASE keep us posted.  
my baby's estimated weight was the same as yours, 9-9. he was born 10lbs. 9oz. i had the option of trying naturally or just going right for the c-section. i really wanted to at least try naturally but as soon as my dr. said his shoulders could get stuck and cause permanent damage i felt i was making the right decision by going for the c-section. with his size, and the fact that my water broke but my cervix was not even close to being ready, i was most likely going to have to have a csection anyway. my friend delivered a 10lb. baby naturally with the help of a midwife who did alot of massaging in her perineum area which she said helped tremendously. you are a week overdue with a big baby, you have a tough decision to make. just try to get ALL the facts. a c-section is not fun by any means, but i don't regret my decision at all. i definetly did not want his shoulders getting stuck! good luck with whatever you choose.
It's TOTALLY POSSIBLE for you to deliver your baby vaginally. Try and google some real life stories, PLENTY of moms have done it. My DD was 8 lbs and even though thats not HUGE its pretty big for me...I am 5'0 and weighed 100 lbs prepregnancy...size 0. Even Peek said the estimate could be significantly off, and she is some kinda nurse, I believe. I had no drugs and had 2 small tears that didnt even need sutures or  anything. My MW just gave me some stuff to sqirt my vagina with after urinating to keep it clean. If she wouldnt have told me they were there I wouldnt have known. If u are gonna go for the natural route you have to believe u can do it, or u cant. I believe u can! Good luck and congrats!!! =)
Well your babys weight isnt the only thing that is an estimate. So is your due date. Your baby or body know nothing of dates. They just know when its time. Having Piticon u are more likely to be confined to bed with fetal monitoring, and having an epidural because drug induced contractions hurt worse and your brain doesnt help as much with the endorphines as with natural contractions. With an epidural and being flat on ur back forceps could most certainly enter the picture for which u will need an episiodemy(sp). Your OB is most likely going to opt for a c-section, cuz thats what docs do. They dont go to med school to stand around and let labor progress naturally. A C-Section is more convienint for the doc, and they are less likely to get a lawsuit in the event something goes wrong, they can say they did all they could. The truth of the matter is, is the majority of births, if they were left to progress naturally and the woman was encouraged to work with her body, would be normal and natural needing no intervention. One intervention leads to another. If you are going to go natural, go natural. Your body can do it. It was designed to do it. Women have been doing it for millions of years before hospitals and doctors took over birthing. I am not saying there arent cases of emergency where modern medicine hasnt saved lives. I am just saying in the '50's like 5 percent of babies were born in hospitals. By the late 70's it shot up to the 90's. Have women become weaker or more in need of a man who has never had a baby and doesnt trust the miracle of life? Just something to think about. I say if  u are going to intervine u might as well go for a schedualed C section, since u said u dont wanna labor and have to have it anyway. Whatever u decide I support you and wish u the best!!! U will be holding ur new sweet baby soon...yay!!!
All I can say is that I have known several people that had a natural delivery and their babies were a few ounces over 10 pounds. I can't attest to whether they tore or not, but I do know that it is possible. If a natural delivery is what you want, I guess you just have to make the decision if you are willing to go through with it if you may or may not tear.
My son was just shy of 9.6oz. I'm currently over due with my 2nd child but they did not give me a weight estimate. I had an u/s today and asked for an estimate but they said at this point it would be totally inaccurate. But I could see all the rolls on her! I personally don't think your body would make a baby that you couldn't push out. It's all about pelvic structure anyway. Hang in there and I will be interested to hear if their estimates are even in the same ball park of what your baby weighs. No one seems to ever get it right. Good luck!
Thanks. I'm not scheduled for a c section, but I am for Pitosin induction b/c 2 weeks overdue. Now I'm frustrated b/c my doula is backing out assuming I will have a c section, when my and my OB's goal is for vaginal delivery but know there's a higher chance of c section if things don't go well with vaginal delivery. Isn't that what a doula is for -- to help support me to try vagianal delivery despite concerns and then if ends up with c section at least I tried?? A planned c section sounds better b/c then no need to go through bad labor with Pitosin though I guess epidural will help and planned c section isn't an option for me anyway. We'll soon see the outcome one way or another!
My first ds was 2 weeks overdue...he was estimated to be 9 lbs 13 ozs one week before delivery, (via ultrasound) and when he was born he was 10lbs 4 ozs.   I was induced for 30 hours and they were about to send me for a c-section because I just wasn't progressing, when the specialist came in and said "WE NEED TO BREAK HER WATER!" Things REALLY started then.  6 hours later, I had my ds in my arms, and he was delivered vaginally, with no cutting or forceps (Dr wanted to cut, and at that point I said "OK" and my dh reminded me that "I" didn't want that to happen! LOL) so Dr. let me try to push a little bit longer.  Whatever the outcome, it will all be worth it.  I did have a minor tear, but that didn't even matter to me.  (I was 130 lbs. pre-pregnancy weight, and I am 5'9) My 2nd ds was 10lbs 5 ozs and they broke my water at the same time as starting the pitocin (at my request) he was 2 weeks overdue too, so I wasn't going home without having him either vag/c-sectioned!
He was only 6 hours and he was born.  In MY opinion, you should ask the Dr./midwife to break your water,
I hope you have a QUICK and EASY Labour and Delivery!  Don't let the weight scare you, as others have said, the estimate could be wrong, Do what feels right for you and your baby!  Best of luck to you!
Yes, I'm "some kinda" nurse.  A labor and delivery one.

But I'm also a huge pro-home and natural birth proponent, so don't think I'm just following the party line.

This is HER baby and HER risks.  She has to feel right with the decision.  Unfortunately, not all women can deliver vaginally safely.  Homebirthers are screened out for risk factors, and that's why there are so many delivering safely at home.  The high risk ones are delivered in the hospital for the most part.  

I'm all about no interventions, but again--macrosomia does have risks, and it's up to mb to decide what risks she's willing to take.  If she and her doc feel its safe to proceed, she might want to.  If not, then she'll make another decision.  I wish her the best, in any event.  
I experienced shoulder dystocia (I know I spelled it wrong) with my son (now 3.5). He was also turned slightly sideways.  My delivery was horrendous (as was my first 16 years ago).  With this baby they are watching how big she gets and while the plan is to go naturally, my doc (a huge natural birth advocate) has made it plain that c-section is on the table.

So my advice is get all the info you can and make an informed decision and dont' second guess yourself.

And I have many friends who have delivered huge babies with ease.  My sister in law (5'4", 130 lbs) delivered a 10 lb 5 oz boy without even sweating off her lipstick.  No stitches.....

My first baby was 10 lbs. 3 oz.  They did not do an u/s to determine size, but did several at the end since he kept turning from breech to vertex and back, so we had no idea till I was in active labor and he was vertex that I would get to deliver vaginally.  They estimated an 8 lb. baby because he was so active and I'm not a very big girl.  I delivered him, I did tear through the episiotomy through my rectum and it took just as long to stitch me back up as it did to push him out.  Still worth it for me.  I had a really long recovery and unfortunately was not sent home with any pain medications as they do not like to give you narcotics when you have a baby at home.  I have a friend that got a C-sction though because the u/s said her baby was 10 + lbs. and she was diabetic.  Her little one was barely 8 lbs.  It's so hard to guess.  My second baby they didn't even want to estimate, they just induced at 39 weeks and that little guy was just shy of 9 lbs.  He came out quick and easy.  Your size has nothing to do with the size of baby you can handle, it has to do with your pelvis.  I would just talk with the Dr. about it, you can always try to deliver vaginally and if you aren't progressing that's a good sign that baby is too big.  Even after my big son and tough recovery, I wanted to do it again, so it can't be too bad.  Good luck and do what you feel comfortable with.
at 18yrs old 5foot2 i had my boy hes was 10lbs 10-1/2 oz at 38weeks he was 4/5ths engaged i went itno labour for 10 hours that stopped suddendly and was losing my "show" for the next 4 weeks i was now only 2/5ths engaged and contracting constantly i was induced with pessaries for 5 days and eventually the put on pitocin for 11 hours the baby went into destress and had to be delivred with an emergency c section so my advice is if youve been given the choice grab the c-section with both hands because its not worth the risk we only just made it.
I was 8 months pregnant, I felt my hips cracking and dislocating everytime I sat up. I also felt like my pubic bone was seperating. I knew my baby was to big for me to deliver. I confided in my doctor about the things that were happening to me on more than one occasion and he reasured me everything was normal and that my baby was not to big for me to deliver naturally. WELL...I was induced one week after my due date and delivered my baby naturally. After the delivery I could'nt walk right. My doctor did an x-ray and confirmed I had seperated my pelvis and 16 months later I suffer from SEVERE hip and lower back pain and I can't get out of bed unless I take pain medication. My body had a major trauma from delivering a baby that was to big. (My son was 8 1/2 lbs which was too big for me I'm a small framed person). My point is everybodys body is different and if you feel as though your baby may be too big, you should have a c-section. You are the one that has to live with the after effects. I wish I had had listened to my intuition and not my doctor!
my first was 9 pound 4 and my second 9 pound 11, i have no stitches and found they pushed themselves out easier, i am now due with my 3rd and looks like he will be big to, only had gas and air so i think everyone is different.
I delivered a healthy 9.8oz baby boy vaginally.  I had to be induced and I did get an epidural. Most people seeem to be in shock these days when they hear c/s was not even mentioned. I guess it just depends on each individual woman. Every body is different.  My sister had to boys by c/s and both were under 9 lbs. Good luck!
My boy was born 2 weeks overdue, induced 3 times and then waters broken, I had an epidural too.  No-one told me he was going to be big and was born 10lb 9ozs with help from forceps.
My girl was born 2 weeks overdue, induced twice and waters broken.  This time one midwife who broke my waters said it was a big baby, no-one said that before!  She was born with just gas and air at 9lb 6oz, a wonderful birth.
Both are healthy and so am I and their father, we are of average build so not sure where they get being so big from.
I want another baby and will have it vaginally if I can, I would not go for a c-sec just because of it being big!
on my ultrasound showed baby was gonna weight around 7 pounds when i diliverd baby weight 9lb13oz plus the unbelical cord was wrapped around neck it was horrible im 5,1 my past babys where 7 lb it was a night mare i was pushing for a long time until came out my face looked like some one had splashed tomato souce on my face my veins from face where i couldent urine nurses had to put a catheder i had high fever my blood was infected i stayed in hospital for 2 weeks i had septicaemia im not shure if it was becouse of the complications
I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone stumbles upon this in the future... I had my estimated to be 10 pound baby boy 100% naturally. He was 11 pounds 2 ounces! And I hardly tore (no episiotomy). I tore more with my 8 pound daughter. To each his own - do your research and decide what is best for your family. I just wanted to shed light on the other side :)