Maternal & Child Community
Dentist and Pregnancy! HUge tooth ache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Dentist and Pregnancy! HUge tooth ache

Hello again,
Okay so i woke up today and I have a tooth ache from hel*!
My nurse faxed me a sheet to give to the dentist if I decide to go, but i am really nervous... I am almost willing to put up with pain but My coworker said it could be infected which is alot worse. I dont want to put my little one in any danger ( 26 weeks prego) , I was just wondering if anyone has gone to the dentist while pregnant and if so how did it go???
I went at about 23 weeks with a cracked tooth and had crown work performed. It went well and the dentist did everything but x-rays. I suggest going. No need to be in pain for the rest of the pregnancy. My OB was also aware and said dental work was fine.
Does your dentist do digital x-rays?  If he does than you're fine to do x-rays(but ask for two shields just to be safe...I do that even though I'm just ttc).  The digital x-rays have less radiation than going out into the sun.
There is no use in being in pain. I went around 3 months and the dentist could not see how big the hole was so I let her take an X-ray on just that side. She gave me two of those leadlined aprons. I looked it up on the internet: the x-ray machine is directed at your jaw, the baby does not get any X-rays whatsoever. The only place that gets them is your thyroid and that COULD (not will) lead to a lower birthweight. I'd suggest you go and only let them take x-rays if they really need them to treat the tooth properly and you'll be fine. Any additional x-rays can obviously wait!
You should be fine as long as you dont have xrays done.  I went to the dentist at the beginning of my pregnancy but it was just a routine check up and cleaning.  You really need to go while pregnant because you are more likely to have problems with your teeth.  My cousin is going to dental hygine school and she is forever calling me wanting me to go let her clean my teeth.  You need to hurry up and get your tooth ache taken care of...or your going to be in pain at both ends later on..lol.
I also had a cracked tooth fillled at the dentist, please go, it will only get worse and you dont need an absess (abscess) to develop when your pregnant too!
They will fix it for and should not give you x-rays, i absolutely hate the dentist but I am so glad I went.
be brave hunny
xxxx
i had to have oral surgery at 8weeks...so nervous and they kept doing xrays...i cried and cried but they said if i waited it could be worse on the baby.

i had a root canal but the root was wrapped around another root and curved almost in a circle.

during xrays i had them lay to pads on me.

my baby was a beautiful and very healthy and strong little girl

the drs will make sure you are safe...
everything will be fine...i had a horrific root canal done at 8wks...the worst possible time to have it done...but my peanut is perfectly healthy and i must say a little genius.
2 going on 15...something like that.
I have to go to the dentist to get an old filling replaced. My dentist wouldn't do it during my first trimester, as he said they usually wait for the second trimester to do anything more than cleanings. (It's probably just a personal thing that makes HIM feel better)

Since you're so far along, it should be no problem at all to have dental work done. I wouldn't worry about! You definitely don't want to be in pain until the baby is born, and it's also not safe. If the tooth IS or should end up infected, the infection can eventually work its way into your bloodstream...and that COULD cause complications with you AND the baby! Set that appointment up and go asap!

Best of luck!
I had dental work/crowns and xrays at 6 weeks pregnant. I was an emotional wreck over it too. I had a healthy baby girl.
Well I went and they did a short xray only 2 on my right jaw, they were aware i was pregnant and used double shield.
I need a root canal! i called my doctor as soon as i found out to make sure if it was okay to begin treatment ( 1 of 4 additional visits) The doctor said it was okay as long as local anesthisia was used. today they just put antibiotics in the tooth to kill the infection. I was so nervous that i almost cried! I didnt want to hurt my little one! I am still nervous and scred. I was thinking maybe i should have delt with the pain, but not a good idea if it was infected :(
They say that the most important time to go to the dentist is during pregnancy as you are most likely to get infections.

In the UK Dental treatment is free during pregnancy and for the 1st year after given birth.

One of the only reasons I am rather upset about not being at home in the UK for my pregnancy. (I really don't know why I decided to share that with you all).

Make sure you go as it will only get worse. You will feel so much better once you have been, and it may be such a simple thing.
you need to go I think you can get blood poisining and that can do both of you harm if you don't have it taken care of.
I am getting ready to have dental work done with x-rays, possibly even a root canal. The dentist assured me they work on pregnant women all of the time in their second trimester. My midwife also told me that it was ok and even gave me a list of the antibiotics and pain medicine that I could safely take. I am 23 weeks pregnant, and I probably shouldn't have waited this long with the pain because it is worse on the baby............