Maternal & Child Community
Desperately need help with weaning DD from a bottle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey y'all  well, we just had DD 1st birthday party this pm. She will officially be one on 9/12. To this point she is still drinking 26-32 oz of formula a day from a bottle and refuses a sippy cup. She only has two teeth (on the bottom) and does manage to eat a variety of table foods. We are using the NUBY soft spot sippy's but she seems to hate them. When she sucks from them she spits whatever was in it out. I really need some advice.  My MIL is suggesting no sippy cup at all and that she will drink all of her milk from a cup !!!! I feel that neither we or are furniture are ready for that mess! What do  y'all think??? Are there other brands of sippy's that your babies like? Do I have to give up all bottles? I can't imagine, she gets one first thing in the am and of course anytime before she goes to sleep. Should we go cold turkey with a sippy all day tomorrow? Also how much whole milk should she have a day? The other problem I have is that she is refusing milf from the fride. She wants it warm, is that really such a big deal or should I address that as well? Sorry for so many questions but this is really stressing me out!! What about the cup only thing, thats crazy right???
If it were my child, I would just keep serving from the bottle and offering a cup or a sippy cup at times.  Some babies do prefer a cup over a sippy cup.  My ds is 8 months old and is hopeless on a sippy cup but can drink easily from the bottle if we take the lid off, to get the last few drops, and that's the same mouth motion as drinking from a glass.  Don't let the "supposed to" stuff get you down.  You're not supposed to do anything, you're a mommy, you get to be flexible.
When I start introducing whole milk after my kids' first birthdays, I tended to warm it a little as well. Going from exclusive breastmilk to cold whole milk is quite  a switch.

I never battled the bottle, but my kids all did much better with the silicone straw cups than the sippy cups in the beginning. Maybe give those a try?
I really liked to use the cheap sippy cups without the plugs to get mine started out. It helps them figure out what it is all about. Try juice first as it is different from the milk and they usually love to drink it down. You will have to hold it a while and give her sips from it. Eventually, they get the hang of it and start to suckle on it. Then, I switched to the gerber type with the plugs in them. Or you can get them and keep the plugs out for a while. Once she gets the hang of the juice, try the milk. Hope this helps some and happy birthday to her.
What's the reason to desparately get her off the bottle? Mine will use anything , but definitely prefers the bottle (plus it doesn't spill on the carpet, her, furniture, etc. like you mentioned).
You may also try a cup w/ a straw in it. Once they master sucking on the straw it is easy to drink that way ( of course you hold the cup and keep it out of her reach! ) . My daughter still let's some fall out of her mouth, but oh well.
Look into the nutritional value of whole milk and how much calcium they actually absorb, hormone and antibiotic content ( maybe organic?)..you may choose the "next step" formula or goats milk ( eew, I know in this country, but definitely better for them) once you research cow milk. I guess as far as her wanting warmer, just keep it stored in the fridge, but warm it in the microwave for a few seconds..
Anyway, don't worry about the bottle/ sippy cup thing....
I wouldn't rush her to wean from the bottle, she is only one and probably still needs the comfort of sucking on a warm bottle as well as the nutrition from it. Cold Turkey is very hard, I did it with my 3 year old, he refused to drink milk from his sippy cup for nearly a week after we cut out his morning and evening bottle and he had been drinking juice and water from sippy cups for a year and a half. Maybe introduce the sippy cup with other drinks first, once she gets used to using the cup then put her milk in it. She will give up her bottle one day; I am sure she won't be taking it to college with her, LOL!