Maternal & Child Community
Desperately trying to conceive

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Desperately trying to conceive

My husband and I started trying for a baby about 4 months ago. I stopped taking the pill 6-7 months ago and my cycles have been really irregular. In trying to calculate my  ovualtion time I have tried to average my cycle. Since I have had- 1 cycle 22 days, 1 that was 21 days, then  one 24 days and even 29 day cycle.  So I average about 24 days and start tracking my ovulation from there.Is that what you would suggest?  

I also recently was diagnosed through sonogram with 2 (simple) ovarian cysts. Recently I went back on 10/05 and had a follow up sonogram. The doctor said my cysts had gone down a lot and were very small and looked fine, but that my unterine lining was REALLY thick. She wanted to know if I was trying to get pregnant, she is not the doctor I normally see so she was not sure. I told her I was so she thought that could be why my lining was so thick. She said if I miss my period to come to the office and get a pregnancy test, so I did yesterday. The blood and urine test were negative. The nurse said it still could be too early to tell. I still have not gotten my period. If my cycle was at 24 days it should have started on the 11th.  Do you know other reasons why I could have thick unterine lining?  

They also said that my progesterone level was 8.3 which is kind of low.

I have signs of pregnancy. I have had migraines and nasuea all week. I also have breast tenderness and tingling. Today I had some spotting and cramping but nothing like my normal period.
Could I have miscalculated my ovulation dates? I have been using an opk.
Please let me know your adv
I can't help with the lining thing?  I always had the opposite problem.  

I had cysts too.  I don't ovulate and the cysts were a partial factor.  Not to mention my hormone levels are jacked and it takes many different types of drugs to get those ovaries to work right.

Anything over 5 is considered an ovulatory cycle.  but you're right it's low considering you are due for your period?  You can search for normal progesterone levels and see what days you should have what level.

I will tell you what I know.  I'm not a doctor.  It's just me, pregnant again finally after a year and have one son already.  Irregular cycles can often mean you don't ovulate.  and is, if I remember right, related to PCOS.  I have very few symptoms of PCOS, but enough to keep me from ovulating.  You might find great success in clomid.  If after 4 cycles of clomid, i would search out an infertility specialist.  They monitored my ovaries and hormone levels constantly.  We conceived the first month.

Your cycles are much shorter than mine of 30-50 days, but irregular nonetheless.  I would spend the money on the clearblue easy monitor.  It will ask you to test starting on day 6.  It will tell you if your estrogen levels are rising by giving you a high symbol and then if you get an lh surge by showing the peak symbol.  It's worth the money.  I used it for 4 months and then knew something was wrong when i didn't get pregnant.  It showed me the peak every month, but my eggs were never being released.  I needed a shot to achieve ovulation.  If you get the peak symbol, go in 7 days later to test for your progesterone.  If your levels are still very low then you know you are not ovulating.  that is the first piece of the puzzel.  once a dr knows you are not ovulating on a regular basis they will most likely jump to clomid.  you'll repeat the same patter on clomid.  if you still aren't showing higher progesterone levels 7 days post surge, then it may be time to move to  a specialist.

Sorry that was so long!!!  And maybe more  information that what you were looking for.  But you sound like you have some of the symptoms that I have so wanted to help save you time.  :)  good luck and keep us posted!!!  momttc
Thank you so much for the advice. I will mention that to my doctor. I didn't know that 8.3 was too low for progesterone. I should have been more clear. The nurse, who called to give me my results said it was too low. I had no clue what low was.  I thought your progesterone dropped when you are about to have your period? A lot to learn,, I thought this would all be a piece of cake, you see I have an 8 year old from a previous marriage, but she was not planned, so I thought we would get pregnant right away. Go figure.
my doctor said that normal progesterone levels on day 21 of your cycle vary greatly (2.5 and up) but that he likes to see a level of 10 or higher. to him that confirms ovulation. i don't think they really know for sure until they've tested you several times...such a guessing game.

i'm with you in the "thought it would be easy because the first one wasn't planned" boat...been actively trying for 4 years...taking a break now- although i have way better insurance coverage next year and am seriously considering trying again. never in my life have i encountered something that is so emotionally, physically, and financially draining all at the same time.

hopefully you won't have to have as long of "journey" as some of us have had to have- baby dust to you!!! :o)

Stacie
I feel bad complaining or being so impatient when others have been trying a lot longer. Thanks for all the nice responses.
I just went through this last week. 9 days late, all the symptoms of pregnancy, headache, queezy, tender sensitive breasts, Then Friday I ended up at Dr. office in major pain. I had a major bladder infection. No BFP for me..after they finished probing me AF showed her nastyself. =( Many things can fool you especially if your hormones are off track.. Which I found out today from my blood test, were the cause.
I am sure hoping that is not the case with you. Baby dust baby dust baby dust!
As far as thick lining, I have never heard of that. Is that like indometriosos? Did Dr. Say there is anything to thin it out?

You cycle is very different than mine. My suggestion is to get a couple ovulation kits. I tried them. Usually the box only contains 7 days worth. So I buy two boxes. =) I sure hope you get your Big Fat "Positive"  
I am in same boat. Want that baby soooo bad. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.
Dawn
I know this is not medical help but I had heard and would advise you all (even though it is easier said then done) dont try to hard, dont stress, its not healthy which could be telling your body you are not healthy enough to conceive a child.. Just thought i would let you all know what i have heard. goodluck to you all.
Excuse my ignorance on this site, but do medical professionals answer the questions also?
There are no doctors "assigned" to answer questions, but Christie2004 is a nurse and will help with her knowledge. Most of us just answer from experience.
Debra
Okay, don't get my wrong it is very helpful to have people to share this with. I wish just curious about the "medhelp" part I thought there was a doctor aspect of it all.

Okay I have a question. Update on my status-  My period still is not here. I have been cramping (not quite like menstrual cramps) and 2 days ago I had a spot of brownish blood, so I thought that must be my period cominng. No more blood or anything yet. So I decided to do a cervix check. My cervix is SHOW just like I am ovulating, but there is no way I should be. So that doesn't seem like my period is about to start. Isn't it suppose to hard and low? My LMS was 9/17. I still have slight nausea. I am not really tired right now though. Any one have any thoughts? I took so many tests last week that I was going to go to the store and get some more today, but I feel like it has been so wasteful. The doctor said to wait another week and then if I still don't have it to come back in to do another blood test. HELP!!!!!!! I am so impatient. I just want to know!
Thanks. I have been to the doctor. If you read the earlier posts in this question, I have talked to the doctor several times. yet we are all still baffled, so I am still looking for advice.. see above.
Thanks again.
There are no doctors on this particular forum. There are for other topics but this is a patient to patient forum. I would call your own doc and get advice.
Hey Guys,

I am really worried.. My last AF was on 18th September and I am late this month... I really do not know whether I am pregnant or not but I am TTC since the last 1.5 yrs... I have endometrioris and have been operated twice .... I am tired of those HPT's ehich turned to be -ve everytime I tried and hence this time I have not tried any .... I have some back pain and , breasts hurt...

Really do not know whether I am preggo.. Is yes then I would be around 4 and 1/2 weeks ... Can some one give me some idea....

Regards,
Sarmi