Detection of HCG levels before missing period
I have taken 4 pregnancy tests (different brands) which resulted in positives.  I took them 5-6 days prior to my period being due.  Why were my HCG levels detected so early?  With my daughter, the pregnany tests were negative until I missed my period.  I am concerned that my levels are too high.
I don't know much about this, but maybe you ovulated early or maybe you're having twins!!! Sorry I can't be of much help, but I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she says....keep us posted....Lynn :)  PS: Congrats to you on the + result !!!
With 3 out of my 5 pg, I tested positive up to 10 beofre cycles was due to start. With my 3rd pg (even though it in ended m/c) I started feeling tired and nauseated within a few days of conceiving and tested a few days later about 9-10 before my af and was positive.

With my son (pg #4) I knew I was pg 8 days before I was due to start. It could very well have been I was ovulating early in my cycle, but who knows!! With #3, I started 5/23/00, was only sexually active from 6/1-6/8 and found out I was pg within a few days. Hormones are a crazy thing I tell ya!!

Good luck!! Let us know how it turns out!

Andrea

my doctor told me that a home pregnancy test detects a pregnancy at 100 hcg.  My blood test came out with a number of 325 with only one embryo.  It probably is all good, so congratulations.  Keep us posted.  
maria
Are any of you familiar with the First Response Early Pregnancy Test?  I took several of their tests two months ago when I thought I was pregnant - two days before my period was scheduled to start.  2 of the 4 test had a faint second pink line, but two days later I started my peroid.
I took another one of their tests today - due to start my period today or tomorrow, and again I got a second pink line.  This time the second line is MUCH darker than the previous tests I took two months ago. Just wondered if anyone else has had false positives with First Response, or any other home pregnancy tests.  I didn't think that you usually got a false positive.  
Very curious and longing to get pregnant!
A lot of women get pregnant and miscarry before they get a chance to miss their period (I think it's called a "chemical pregnancy").  That is, you would miscarry and still get your period on the same day it usually arrives, and you never would've known you were pregnant if you hadn't taken the pregnancy test.  But also, (I'm no expert, but I've done a lot of reading on the web), certain medical conditions in non-pregnant women (and even men) will cause a release of the pregnancy hormone hcg - such as testicular cancer, ovarian cysts and other conditions.  If you're consistently testing an hcg level and get your period, you should notify your doctor so they can research other causes.
Also, if you're getting certain fertility treatments (i.e. clomid) there will be a circulating level of hcg in your blood.