Determination of the race of an unborn child
Is it possible, through amniocentesis or another test,to determine the race of a fetus?  How early could this be detected?  Or, could DNA testing be done with the probable father?  A student of mine was raped by a person of another race and would like to know whose child it is so that she knows how to proceed.  Please advise   Thanks
Amnio could be used to determine if the child is related to her husband or not, through DNA testing.
Yes the only thing is amino but I have heard you have to wait so long into the pregnancy before getting one and on top of that it can cause miscarriage.  I am sorry she was raped.  Hope all works out for her.
She may be able to have chorionic villi (sp?) sampling which is done earlier than amnio. I don't remember exactly what it would tell you. Would be something to check into.
I am so sorry for what your student is going through.  She may want to talk to a genetic counselor about her options.  As some of the other ladies mentioned, amniocentesis and chronic villi sampling can be done to check DNA.  I think amniocentesis is best between 11 and 16 weeks (least chance of miscarriage).  I had to speak with a genetic counselor when I tested as a Cystic Fibrosis Carrier, I found her to be very helpful and talking to her really calmed my fears. A local obstetrician should be able to locate the nearest counselor for her,

I hope it all works out.
it is very thoughtful of you to stick by your students side and post on her behalf. And it is absolutely wonderful she is deciding to keep the baby . I have you both in my prayers. Listen to the posts of these gals, they are pretty brilliant in here. You should definelty speak to a doctor. Good luck to all!